7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2015 11:04 AM by A.T. Romano

File conversion

P1965 Level 1

A bit off the PE topics, but anyone know the best software to convert .VOB files to MP4 or AVI for use in PE programs?

• 1. Re: File conversion
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

• 2. Re: File conversion
            A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Is there any particular reason why you would want to convert a MPEG2.vob into presumably a H.264.mp4 or DV.avi before taking the file  to MPEG2.vob in the burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc process? Re-encoding typically results in loss of quality, varying in degree related to the format.

MPEG Streamclip might be a candidate for such conversion, but.....and it is free.

http://www.squared5.com/

However, at the moment I am not seeing the rationale behind your projected workflow. I bring up this point in the likelihood that you may have a vob workflow issue that I might help you with without you having to go through a potentially unnecessary step.

ATR

• 3. Re: File conversion
              P1965 Level 1

Mind must have been on holidays again - no idea why I thought it is a .VOB file.  So my apologies on the extension as it is an .MKV file, not VOB.  So, question is to convert this type to use it in PRE 11.

I have an HD movie that I want to use portions of in an HD 16:9 project.  I had a software program to do this before, but recently changed from Win7 to Win 8 and no longer have the software, or remember the name of it.

• 4. Re: File conversion
                A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the reply.

You should be able to do a MKV to MP4 conversion with the free HandBrake program - should be quick and easy.

https://handbrake.fr/

The HandBrake H.264.mp4 export should import into Premiere Elements fine.

Any questions or need clarification, please let us know.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: File conversion
                  P1965 Level 1

Thank you ATR.  I will give it a try and post results.

• 6. Re: File conversion
                    P1965 Level 1

Just tried it, seems to work fine.  Thanks for the solution,

• 7. Re: File conversion
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

P1965

Thanks for the follow up and the great news that the free HandBrake worked for you for the MKV to the MP4 format. Great job.

Usually I suggest the HandBrake conversion for changing a file's variable frame rate to a constant one. First time

for me with the HandBrake suggested conversion MKV to MP4.

Best wishes moving forward in your projects.

ATR