7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 6:54 PM by ssprengel

Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?

giuseppev63197815

Ciao,

I have a problem... maybe this can be a stupid question but anyway.. I would like to know the reason why when I open a raw image in lightroom, for a second I see the right colors/tone/contrast that i see when i look at the same images on my camera and soon after the word "Loading" I see the raw files with different colors.

Why this happens???

Before "Loading" and --> after

Schermata 2015-01-23 alle 20.08.20.pngSchermata 2015-01-23 alle 20.08.24.png

Thank you so much

• 1. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All raw files contain a JPEG preview image. That preview image is what you see in your camera display. And it's what is displayed when the raw file is first imported into Lightroom. But Lightroom generates its own preview of the raw image data. Lightroom does not read all in-camera settings. Many of them are proprietary, and are stored differently. So Lightroom necessarily has to ignore them. If you are using a Canon or Nikon camera in particular, you can go to the calibration panel in the develop module and choose from different camera profiles that might match what you are expecting. If you are using another brand camera you'll probably have to make the adjustments and create presets or set new camera defaults in order to make the camera match what you are expecting more closely.

• 2. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
            giuseppev63197815 Level 1

Thank you!

I use a Canon 5D Mark III

Is this the only way to set the right calibration? Or maybe there is some software that recognize my raw information at all??

• 3. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
              giuseppev63197815 Level 1

Thank you @JimHess !

I use a Canon 5D Mark III

Is this the only way to set the right calibration? Or maybe there is some software that recognize my raw information at all??

• 4. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
                wigasper

Hey Giuseppe

I have a similar problem but the cause may be different from yours. I shoot a Canon 6D and as far as I know no one with the 5D MKIII has my issue, but maybe you could look into it.

Canon's Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop CC, as well as Lightroom CC, is automatically down converting my CR2 RAW files from 14 bit color depth to 8 bit color depth. This is screwing up my colors, contrast, gradients, etc quite a bit when trying to process RAW files in Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC.

You can read my thread here:

Banding due to automatic downconverting of RAW files to 8 bit

You might want to check and see if your RAW files are actually being processed in 16 bit color depth. There is a possibility that they are being down converted automatically for some reason.

The bit depth in Lightroom for RAW files is supposed to be 16 bit but when opening my files it just converts it down.

Try downloading Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 5D Mark III

Use that software to process a RAW photo and convert to a 16 bit TIFF. I know this software truly gives you a 16 bit depth image. Then compare the result side to side with what you're seeing in Lightroom.

If you are having this issue, I have not yet found a way to process RAW CR2 files in ACR or Lightroom and maintain 16 bit depth.

If you are batch processing to JPEGs it probably doesn't matter, but my issue is that it is down converting BEFORE exporting and thus any edits I do become much more destructive on my 8 bit image than they would if I was editing a 16 bit image. I have to be able to keep things in 16 bit up until the point they go to the printer.

Sorry, this may not help you at all, it looks like there could just be a difference in White Balance, but I figured I'd throw my two cents out there and maybe you could see if this is actually what is happening for you, and hopefully eventually Adobe could potentially fix this bug.

• 5. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only software that will recognize all of the settings in your raw images is the DPP software provided by Canon. That's because every camera maker has their own proprietary raw file format. And it doesn't appear that that is going to change. One thing you can do is take one of your newly shot images and make adjustments to it so that the colors match. Then you can save new camera defaults. Then those settings will be the ones that will be applied whenever you import new images. The other alternative is to create presets for different lighting situations and apply the presets when appropriate.

• 6. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
                    areohbee Level 6

JimHess wrote:

The only software that will recognize all of the settings in your raw images is the DPP software provided by Canon. That's because every camera maker has their own proprietary raw file format.

The fact that only DPP can interpret Canon camera settings has NOTHING to do with the raw file format.

The fact that some people keep saying it does, is a testament to the ability of humans to believe what they want, despite all evidence to the contrary.

PS - evidence to the contrary has been presented enough already, so I shan't be reiterating it - believe what you will..

Cheers,

Rob

• 7. Re: Why when I open my raw files into lightroom, colors are different from my camera's preview?
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right, it has to do with the algorithms used to interpret the raw data and render RGB data, which only the camera-manufacturer knows.  The format of the file is understood well enough to the extent Adobe needs to render RGB data using their own algorithms.