4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2017 2:41 PM by maxglitz

Non-Latin Characters

jamesv99831695 Level 1

I am getting an error that my file name has non-latin characters, the file is named 01h_backM.jpg I am using save for web.

• 1. Re: Non-Latin Characters
          Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Are you saving to a folder with symbols in the name? Try saving to a different folder.

Benjamin

• 2. Re: Non-Latin Characters
            LloydFidao Level 1

I'm getting the same message. It just appeared today and what's weird I haven't updated my Photoshop or OS. This happens now with any file saved from Photoshop's Save for Web. Mac OS X 10.10.5 Photoshop CC 14.2.1 x64. The only recent software change was a Safari upgrade to Version 9.1 (10601.5.17.4) but I doubt this would have any effect within photoshop. Anyway, I just click OK and ignore the message.

• 3. Re: Non-Latin Characters
              Nick Erald Level 1

I had a folder with this symbol:  °

Deleted the symbol, the error disappeared!

I hope I am clear enough.

• 4. Re: Non-Latin Characters
                maxglitz Level 1
                May I add some clarity? Nick, your answer had me puzzled at first and then I tried a test. I was saving a Photoshop file for web too and got the non-latin character pop-up as I have for years and just ignored it. You say you used the symbol ° to name a folder that you were saving the web image to. I was saving mine to a folder with • (solid bullet, but like your clear degree symbol). I often use those to keep a folder at the top of a list in the finder. So, I removed the bullet, then I went back to my Photoshop file and saved for web again to the same folder. NO POP-UP. Did it again to a second folder that still had a bullet, and got the pop-up again for non-latin characters.

SO, that's the culprit, the name of the folder you save it to, and not the file itself. Since I'm not creating a web page with those files and not referring some site-making application to the folder to grab the image file, it won't matter. I just create web-size versions of many of my large photos and save them that way in Photoshop so I can post them online or send in emails.

Thanks for the clue that solved a problem I've had for years.
                3 people found this helpful