3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 10:04 PM by A.T. Romano

Importing .mov files to premiere elements 11

zoe.47537

I've been having trouble importing .mov files to into premiere elements 11.  Some of the videos have imported successfully and play fine, while for others an error message pops up saying a generic error has occurred.  I've tried converting the files to different file types supported by the program, but nothing has worked? Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

• 1. Re: Importing .mov files to premiere elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

zoe.47537

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

From what you wrote, some video files with the .mov file extension import OK, some not. So, we cannot invoke "Do you have the latest version of

QuickTime installed?" So, what then?

Are these .mov files from the same camera and have around the same recording date?

If you have Windows, can you  import the problem file into Movie Maker 2012?

If you have Mac, can you import the problem file into iMovie?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Importing .mov files to premiere elements 11
            zoe.47537 Level 1

ATR,

My computer runs Windows 8, unfortunately I no longer have Movie maker on my computer, but I did take all of the videos on the same day some on my iPad and some on the iPhone 6 but files from both devices imported successfully.

-zoe

• 3. Re: Importing .mov files to premiere elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

zoe

Thanks for the additional information.

Are you saying that the files that did not import included some from the iPad and some from the iPhone 6 and not all from the same device?

In the ones that did not import, was the lighting conditions different during recording?

Premiere Elements has a problem with video that is recorded with a variable frame rate across the footage rather than a constant one. The

lighting conditions during this type of recording I believe are involved in what the recording devices use. Could you take the good and the bad and determine

if you can get frame rates for them...I am looking for something that should be 29.97, but reads 28 or 32 or even 29.84.

In this Premiere Elements variable frame issue the typical symptoms are audio out of sync or just cannot import the video at all.

There may be another cause from your issue, but let us see if we can rule this factor in or out first.

We could always run one of these bad .mov through HandBrake to change a possible variable frame rate to a constant one before import

into Premiere Elements. That may be our proof of the cause as well as the fix. More on that next time.

Thanks.

ATR