7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2007 2:16 PM by SyddyS

Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?

SyddyS
      Hi,

I have some paths that I've applied an inner bevel to. Most of it looks nice, but there's a couple of places where the bevel has "rounded off" the corner to the point where the bevel edge actually cuts off the edge of of the path. Any way to adjust the roundness of an inner bevel to more closely match the path? Not sure if I can get this across without showing... any way to attach an image here?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
      SyddyS
        • 1. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
          Level 7
          SyddyS,

Can't attach an image here. Is there a way you could upload it somewhere?

alex

SyddyS wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I have some paths that I've applied an inner bevel to. Most of it looks nice,
          > but there's a couple of places where the bevel has "rounded off" the corner to
          > the point where the bevel edge actually cuts off the edge of of the path. Any
          > way to adjust the roundness of an inner bevel to more closely match the path?
          > Not sure if I can get this across without showing... any way to attach an image
          > here?
          >
          > Any help would be great!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > SyddyS
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
            SyddyS Level 1
            Never used it before but I guess I have a Comcast page available:

Bevel Problem Link

See the bevel curve on the W and M?
            • 3. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
              SyddyS Level 1
              *Bump*

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
              • 4. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
                Level 7
                i'm still trying to figure it out. :)

SyddyS wrote:
                > *Bump*
                >
                > Any help would be greatly appreciated...
                • 5. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
                  Level 7
                  After looking all over for a style, plugin, extension to do this, I
                  couldn't find one.

I can take the image you posted and manually make those corner sharp. It
                  takes some effort. If this is for a one time logo then it would not
                  represent that much work, but if you have to do a lot of it, tediousness
                  would settle in fast.

let me know ...

alex

SyddyS wrote:
                  > *Bump*
                  >
                  > Any help would be greatly appreciated...
                  • 6. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
                    Level 7
                    SyddyS wrote:

> Hi,
                    >
                    > I have some paths that I've applied an inner bevel to. Most of it looks nice,
                    > but there's a couple of places where the bevel has "rounded off" the corner to
                    > the point where the bevel edge actually cuts off the edge of of the path. Any
                    > way to adjust the roundness of an inner bevel to more closely match the path?
                    > Not sure if I can get this across without showing... any way to attach an image
                    > here?

Create the bevel manually. Clone the letter and change its color to
                    white, or a much lighter color than the original. Move the clone behind
                    the original, and then two pixels up and two to the left. Apply a 0.5
                    Gaussian blur.

Clone the letter again, but this time, fill it with black. Move the new
                    clone to the back, and then two pixels down and two to the right. Apply
                    a 0.5 Gaussian blur.

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: Avoiding Rounded Bevels.. Any help?
                      SyddyS Level 1
                      Thanks for those that looked into this. I wasn't able to solve the problem, but was able to work around it by putting in another point on the path that squared off the sharp angle. By moving those points closer and further apart I was able to adjust how much the bevel curved.

So, instead of this:

/\

the points on the W and M looked like this:
                      __
                      / \

Barely noticable, even when the graphic was sized up to 8' wide!

-SyddyS