11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2017 11:05 AM by garyl70461006

Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working

Tery G

I have PSD documents of different sizes that I need to print on letter-sized paper. The first document I'm working with is 8.75" x 11.25". The option to scale to fit is just not working.

The process I'm using is File->Print, Print Settings->Paper Handling, select Scale to fit paper size. I get a message saying the image is larger than the paper's printable area; some clipping will occur. Shouldn't scale to fit paper size adjust things so there will be no clipping? Am I going about this the wrong way? (This seems like the same process I used in CS6, where it worked with a problem.)

My copy of Photoshop is up-to-date. Operating system is OS X 10.9.5.

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
          Level 5

tery g,

The option you mention is not even in Photoshop at all.

tery g wrote:

The process I'm using is File->Print, Print Settings->Paper Handling, select Scale to fit paper size.

The instant you hit the step emphasized in reddish-maroon bold type, Photoshop is out of the loop and your printer driver has taken over.  The rest of the process is handled by said printer driver.

You need to specify your exact printer make and model and the exact version of your printer driver.  You can find the latter in Photoshop under the Help menu > System Info.

It could just be the way the new driver handles things.  For instance, if you happened to be on a Mac and using an Epson printer, Apple would have recently installed the "new Epson software" update that gave you a new version of the driver than what you were accustomed to.

I would hate to have to ponder and guess what happens in Mavericks and/or the infamous subscription-mode CC2014, neither of which I'm touching with the proverbial 10' pole. 

In any event, it has never been a good option to let a printer driver handle the scaling proces under any circumstances.

Prepare your final target image file thoroughly, sizing it as needed in Photoshop before sending it to your printer driver. Photoshop Image menu > Image Size… .

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
            Tery G Level 1

Thanks for the information.

This is happening with more than one printer and on more than one machine. The only constant I can find is that we went from CS6 to CC2104 on all the machines. 

I'm not sure about my office machine, but unless the printer drivers can be updated without my knowledge, the drivers on my laptop have not been updated recently and the laptop is where I'm trying to debug the problem right now.

I looked at Help->System Info and I don't see anything in there that I can identify as printer information. I can paste the contents here if that would help.

System Info->Printers & Scanners identifies the two printers I've been working with as an HP Color LaserJet CP3525 with driver version 19.9, and a Brother HL-2170W series with driver version 4.5.0.

I might just do what you said and resize before trying to print. It just seems to me that if this option is supposed to be available, it should work.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
              Level 5

Tery G wrote:

…I looked at Help->System Info and I don't see anything in there that I can identify as printer information. I can paste the contents here if that would help…

By all means do.  I'll gladly point out to you what you missed.

I have given you the cause and the solution for your issue.  If you just want to argue, I'm out of here.  I already told you that operation is handled exclusively by your printer driver, not by Photoshop at all.  Go give HP and Brother a hard time instead on wasting our time here. (If you suggested any of those printer brands in a venue full of professional photographers, you'd be laughed out of the room.)

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums please see next post).

Yes, I already told you that Apple can and does update some printer drivers for you.

Additionally, Apple still has not managed to fix a gazillion bugs in Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x) and made much worse in Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x).

As I typed in my first reply:

«I would hate to have to ponder and guess what happens in Mavericks and/or the infamous subscription-mode CC2014, neither of which I'm touching with the proverbial 10' pole.»

I'm on Photoshop CS6 13.0.6 and Lion (OS X 10.7.5) using Epson printers and have no issues like yours.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                Level 5

Just a clarification in general, not necessarily referencing this or any other post:

BOILERPLATE TEXT extracted from the FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory, abusive or argumentative sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                  Tery G Level 1

Two things. I'm not the one being aggressive and abusive in this conversation. I don't think I've ever asked a question on an Adobe forum before, and you can be sure I never will again.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                    Level 5

If you ever change your mind, feel free to visit the forum anytime.  If I happen to remember your user ID, I promise to stay away from your threads. 

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                      Level 5

One last thing, for the benefit of future readers of this thread, If you set your paper size to anything "borderless", printer drivers will in all likelihood blow the image up a bit to provide a small margin to bleed in order not to leave any trace of a white band around the printed image.  A cautionary message appears in those instances regarding possible clipping.  That is normal and can be ignored.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                        S de Saulles

Hi Terry,

I have exactly the same issue with PS CC 2014 and Yosemite on an Epson printer. What you describe did work perfectly and now doesn't.  I'm sure "station_two" knows his stuff, and yes, the "scale to fit" functionality may well be totally outside of photoshop, but something has changed, and a very useful function has ceased to work.  Yes you can resize the image to fit within the print borders of your printer for every image and then enlarge it again afterwards, but frankly thats not a great solution is it? Purist perhaps, but pretty woeful from a user perspective if you're just trying to output some different size images onto a fixed size media,

Sorry you seem to have been 'beaten up' on you first visit to the forum.  I've asked a few questions on here and this is unusual.

Stephen

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                          chriss5946661 Level 1

I had this issue today (Yosemite / PS CC / Ricoh) and figured it out - hope this helps:

In the print dialog, its not immediately apparent that the lower-right panel containing 'Color Management' is scrollable because it appears to be formatted perfectly for a fixed panel - but it is, and if you scroll down, you will see 'fit to page' options.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC 2014 print resize to fit not working
                            garyl70461006

I don't find fit to page works. I am using a new Epson P9000 and specified 24x36 print sheet size from a roll. I am getting anywhere from 34.5 to 37.5 size images. I even tried a 24x36 white layer to drop my image into (not a good solution) and that doesn't work either. I am using Photoshop CC.