6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 10:39 AM by richlizard

Time lapse video?

richlizard Level 1

Apologies if this is the incorrect term, but I am hoping this is an easy question for you clever people.

I will try too explain it.

You know those videos you see where someone has clearly set their camera down to take an image every couple of minutes or so and then put the images together to make a video? I assume this is time lapse. So a few hours of the camera being sat there comes out in 30 seconds or so of video.

Well that is the effect I am looking for but... I do not have those images. I have a video. I set it up to film my bearded dragons and it is about 2 hours worth in total. So rather than just speeding it up, I wanted to try get the effect that I had taken an image every minute or so.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Time lapse video?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Effects --> Time --> Posterize Time. Or anything with Time Remapping, including possibly some random timing.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Time lapse video?
            richlizard Level 1

Hi Mylenium

Thanks for the reply.

I am not quite sure what you mean by Posterize Time. That seems to give me the option of changing the frames per second down to 1. But what I am actually looking for is a way to produce the video using for example 1 frame per 5 seconds.

The second part of your reply doesn't actually mean anything to me.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Re: Time lapse video?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you say you don't just want to speed it up, you want "time lapse" you're not understanding time lapse. Time lapse speeds up video. If you have a 2 hour clip and you want it to play back in 2 minutes it's simple mathematics. By far the easiest way to do this is to create a new comp from your video in the project panel, enable time-remapping, move the CTI to the out point of your movie, set a keyframe, then move the CTI to 2 minutes and then drag the keyframe at the out point to 2 minutes and let it snap into place.

To avoid frame blending you need you need to use math to make sure that you have whole number values for the frames. If your comp matches the frame rate for your video the easiest way to do this is to enable time remapping and then add an expression. The expression could not be easier. For your example of playing 1 frame for every 5 seconds just multiply time by the number of frames in 5 seconds. Say your footage was shot at 29.97 fps. 5 * 29.97 = 149.85 frames. Round that number to a whole number and use this expression:

time * 149

That's all there is to it. Perfect time lapse from your footage. You will always get a perfect time lapse if you use whole numbers.

Posterize time isn't going to emulate time lapse, it is going to repeat or drop frames so you can use posterize time to make things play slower, not faster. The maximum frame rate for posterize time is 99.

• 4. Re: Re: Time lapse video?
                richlizard Level 1

Thank you Rick, although the constant use of 'simple' may be wasted on me

I attempted the time remapping thing and just made it 5% of the original which is now rendering. In RAM render it seemed to work ok. So are you saying I should not have used a percentage, but precise frame rate?

• 5. Re: Time lapse video?
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure what you mean by made it 5% of the original with time remapping. Sounds like you are using time stretch.

If your time resampling does not precisely work out to be an exact whole number of frames then you will have some frame blending somewhere. I prefer time remapping over all of the other methods because it renders faster than any other method and I can easily and accurately get whole frames using an expression.

The bottom line is that if the render looks fine to you, and if you are working for a client, looks fine to the client, then you're done. There's not much sense in fiddling with it any more.

• 6. Re: Time lapse video?
                    richlizard Level 1

Ah yes, you are correct. I used time stretching and made it 5%

It just rendered out and actually looks perfectly fine for what I want.

I will look at the time remapping tomorrow and see how it compares.

Thanks again.