15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 11:49 AM by ssprengel

Custom Camera Profiles

josephkyles

I have spend 3 days trying to get my custom camera profiles to show up in Lightroom to no success. I have read every tutorial and still they do not work. I recently bought Lightroom and Photoshop CC and am using a macbook pro running Yosemite. I would deeply appreciate any help with this. I am driving myself crazy trying to figure this out.Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 6.08.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-24 at 6.09.02 PM.png

• 1. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
          josephkyles Level 1

Also, I am reinstalling photoshop at the moment to see if that helps, that is why the other Camera Profiles are not showing in the directory screenshot.

• 2. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
            DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lightroom will only show the profiles that are available for the raw file from the Specific Camera Model that you have selected.

The profile that you see "Adobe Standard" is the standard Adobe Profile for the raw file from the specific camera model that you have selected. The other profiles "Camera xxx" are Adobe profiles that are specific to the raw file from the specific camera model which attempt to match the profiles that are produced by your camera's firmware / camera manufacturers software.

The above relate to Profiles that are created by  Adobe and are installed automatically by the Lightroom / ACR updates to a specific location. Any other user created profiles / third party profiles have to be installed to your user specific location for them to be recognized.

See the link below for specifics.

Lightroom 5 Default Locations - The Lightroom Queen Help Desk & Members Area - Powered by Kayako Resolve Help Desk Softw…

Be aware that each time you update/ upgrade Lightroom the Adobe created profiles will be overwritten. This is the reason that profiles created by users and third parties are stored in their own location.

• 3. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
              thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

How did you build these custom DNG profiles?

• 4. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                josephkyles Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions from your link. The camera profiles are in the directory just as it explains yet they still do not show up in lightroom. I guess I should mention I am using the most up to date version of Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC.

• 5. Re: Custom Camera Profiles

Have you tried shutting down your system and then rebooting?

• 6. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                    josephkyles Level 1

Yes, to no avail.

• 7. Re: Custom Camera Profiles

The custom user camera profiles should be in the following location

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

your screen capturer shows                                         /Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles / VSCO Canon7DProfiles/(then the actual profiles)

Maybe the last sub folder "VSCO Canon7DProfiles" is the problem.

Try coping the actual profiles direct into the "CameraProfiles" sub folder.

See the screen capture below, I am using Win 7 and my user camera profiles are directly in the CameraProfiles sub folder.

CameraProfilesUsers.jpg

• 8. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The profiles can be in their own subfolder, but that subfolder containing them needs to be under the Users profile location as documented in the Lightroom Queen link posted earlier.

The issue is probably that any non-Adobe-supplied profiles copied into the folder under ApplicationSupport are ignored, so they do need to be copied into the Users profile location.

• 9. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                          Modesto Vega Level 1

josephkyles wrote:

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 6.08.05 PM.png

All the profiles in your screenshot are for the same camera a Canon EOS 7D (which is a DSLR). The profiles have film names in them: Fuji Velvia, Ilford Delta, Kodak Ektar, and so on.

What are you trying to do? Where did you get the profiles from? Are you actually expecting to see a list that reads Fuji Velvia ..., HP5-1 C, HP5+1 C, Ilford Delta 3200 and so on?

• 10. Re: Custom Camera Profiles

These are film-emulation presets/profiles from Visual Supply Company that sell for $119 per “pack”:

http://vsco.co/film

http://vsco.co/store

It’s possible they’ve been copied to the computer without the installer to put them the right place, or are from the older LR 3 days before the Adobe and third-party profile locations were separated.

• 11. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                              Modesto Vega Level 1

I just learnt something I did not know. This is starting to sound like the ZX Spectrum emulators; there is even company now that has started manufacturing ZX Spectrums again because they are better than the emulators.

Do you mean to say that if those profiles are installed correctly, they are would appear as individual items in the list of Camera Calibration profiles?

• 12. Re: Custom Camera Profiles

Quote "Do you mean to say that if those profiles are installed correctly, they are would appear as individual items in the list of Camera Calibration profiles?"

Yes see the screen capture. The bulk of those profiles displayed are third party profiles designed to emulate the look of various other camera models for the raw files from my Olympus E510 camera.

CameraCalibrationPr.jpg

• 13. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                                  Modesto Vega Level 1

DdeGannes - Thanks; as I said to ssprengel I have learnt something new today. So I am happy.

• 14. Re: Custom Camera Profiles
                                    thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

ssprengel wrote:

These are film-emulation presets/profiles from Visual Supply Company that sell for $119 per “pack”:

I'm confused. Are they presets or DNG camera profiles?

• 15. Re: Custom Camera Profiles

VSCO ships both DNG Camera Profiles and corresponding presets, some which merely select the profile and some that also mess with HSL or Tone Curve sliders among other things.  Having presets that set a camera profile makes it easier to do things if everything you're doing is in one place--the presets area.

The question of this thread is about where to put the profile files so they are available in the camera calibration area, but a properly purchased an installed VSCO package could contain both profiles and presets which is why I mentioned both.  It is unclear if the original poster has purchased a VSCO film-emulation package and has installed it using the normal process and something isn't right or if they have just copied the profiles from someone else's computer and is trying to get them to work without having knowledge of or access to the installer or install documentation.