3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 10:41 AM by snorpthus

Layers randomly missing/deleted after render

snorpthus Level 1

I just finished rendering a project in After Effects.  I don't expect a solution to this, as it's super weird and nothing like this has ever happened to me in any piece of software before, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this:

I sent my Adobe After Effects project to Adobe Media Encoder to render.  It took about 6 hours to render.  When the final video came out, I noticed that a few layers were missing from the video.  I went back to my project, and the layers were completely gone, nowhere to be found.  They aren't hidden, and they weren't the last things that I added to the project (which rules out the chance of me forgetting to save the project before closing after effects).  Newer elements that I added to the project were there in the render, but these few layers, just totally gone.

I'm really scratching my head over this one...like...what the hell?!  Where did they go?!  Anyone have an issue like this before?

• 1. Re: Layers randomly missing/deleted after render
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We can't know. You have not provided exact project details, screenshots of the layers, version info, system info and so on.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Layers randomly missing/deleted after render
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've never had a layer disappear from a timeline unless I deleted them. My first question is did you save your project and create a backup before you rendered? My second question: What, exactly, was your workflow from the time you completed your project and decided to render?

• 3. Re: Layers randomly missing/deleted after render
              snorpthus Level 1

I am using:

After Effects CC Version 13.2.0.49

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

OSX Yosemite 10.10.1

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Screenshot of the current layers:

http://www.tommydimmel.com/images/my_photos/tests/layers.jpg

Workflow/Background:

What you see here is a hot air balloon from the bottom.  I had a rotating image hovering underneath the basket of the hot air balloon, but it is now missing without a trace.  This layer was NOT the last layer that I added to my project.  I had added it many steps ago, and saved/loaded my project with this layer intact many times.  To render, the other day, in after effects, I selected from the top menu Composition>Add To Adobe Media Encoder Queue.  I encoded it Adobe Media Encoder's default H.264/Match Source-High Bitrate Preset. 

2 things: first of all, the video took a RIDICULOUS amount of time to render.  About 12 hours for 1 minutes worth of footage (granted, there are some particle streams at the beginning).  Also, the video came out looking incredible grainy, pixelated, and low quality (usually when I use this Adobe Media Encoder Preset, my videos come out looking great).  And the biggest thing of all, I noticed in the video a few elements were missing!!!  That's when I returned to my After Effects Project and noticed that this layer was just completely gone...nowhere to be found.  No trace of it, that I can see.  I am mystified.

Just for giggles, I rendered the same composition with After Effects internal renderer, and the video not only came out with much better resolution, but also rendered much faster. 

I think Adobe Media Encoder ate my now missing layer.