6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 2:48 PM by Benjamin Warde

Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location

thehurley

Hello,

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

Lightroom 5.7

In Lightroom, I try to import photos and store them in a folder named by date.  All import settings are configured in such a way that Lightroom indicates that my photos will be imported as I want them to be.

lr-1.png

Lightroom creates the folder in the correct location on disk.

lr-2.png

However Lightroom does not display the newly created folder in the correct location after import, instead it adds the folders to the top level of my catalogue.

lr-3.png

I've triedimporting from both from my cameras card and from a local folder, the results are the same for both methods.

Does anyone know why this is happening or do you have any tips on how I can trouble shoot this issue?

Something that may be related to this issue... while in Lightroom, if I right click the top level folder and click "Synchronize folder", Lightroom displays a dialog box indicating that there are new photos and missing photos...

"Import new photos (7934)

Remove missing photos from catalog (7931).

..."

I have been importing photos in the same way for years.  I have have upgraded Lightroom once, and I have swapped computers once.

• 1. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
          dj_paige Level 9

Yes, lots of people reporting this on Mac computers.

So, close Lightroom

Delete your preference file: Preference and other file locations in Lightroom 5

Reboot your computer

Start Lightroom

• 2. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
            thehurley Level 1

After posting this question, I received a private message from a user called "Software Analyst 24x7", asking me for my Skype ID and phone number.  They signed off "Adobe Help And Support".  If you look at this persons profile, they registered on 20/January/2015... this seems very suspicious.  If this is a malicious person, how do I go about reporting them to Adobe?  Are Adobe even monitoring this type of behavior?  Alternatively, if it really is Adobe support, surely they can present/identify themselves better?

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Software+Analyst+24x7

• 3. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
              thehurley Level 1

Thanks dj_paige, but deleting com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist and restarting my computer did not make a difference.  I also tried creating a new catalog and trying again, no change

• 4. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

According to your last screen shot, you have 7931 missing photos.  LR calls a photo "missing" if it thinks there isn't an actual photo at the file location it's recorded in its catalog.  This typically happens if you use the Finder to move a photo after importing it into LR, or if you disconnect an external drive.  Have you done either?  Try following the steps listed here.

• 5. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
                  dj_paige Level 9

This problem seems to be reported more and more in recent months, and in my observation, it is almost always reported for Mac computers (not Windows).

This sure seems like a bug, and I think people ought to start reporting it as a bug. So, thehurley, if you are so inclined, please report it.

Community Photoshop Lightroom  Adobe Community - Windows Internet Explorer_2015-01-26_14-41-17.jpg

• 6. Re: Lightroom does not display imported folders in correct location
                    Benjamin Warde Adobe Employee

This problem most likely occurs when there has been a case change in a path on disk.  In other words (using the screenshot at the top of this post as an example), something like this:

/Users/hurley/Pictures/photographs

intentionally or unintentionally gets changed to:

/Users/hurley/Pictures/Photographs

(i.e., "photographs" was initially lowercase, but got changed to an uppercase "Photographs")

As you've discovered, Lightroom does not handle this well.  You can fix the problem by completely changing the path, and then updating Lightroom with the new path.  Try these steps:

1.  Quit Lightroom.

2.  In the Finder (i.e., on disk, not in Lightroom), alter the path that your photos are stored at.  In other words (again using the screenshot at the top of this post as an example), create a new folder called "Test" inside the "Pictures" folder, and then put the "Photographs" folder inside the "Test" folder, so that the new path looks like this:

/Users/hurley/Pictures/Test/Photographs

4.  Launch Lightroom.  In the Folders panel in Lightroom, you should now see a question mark “?” on the “photographs” folder (and all the folders within it) because Lightroom doesn't know where they are any more.

5.  Right-click on the “photographs” folder in the Folders panel in Lightroom, and choose “Find Missing Folder…”  Direct Lightroom to the new location of the folder, i.e., /Users/hurley/Pictures/Test/Photographs.  The folder, and the folders within it, should now be found, and the question marks should disappear from them in the Folders panel in Lightroom.

6.  Now try importing again to see if the newly imported photos go into the right place.

-Ben