23 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 4:19 PM by moswey

How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.

Andrew Norrie Level 1

Hi - I cant' seem to find how to permanently delete the video footage that is rubbish - can anyone help?

• 2. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew Norrie

If the source media were never dragged to the Timeline, there should be no problem in deleting them from Expert workspace Project Assets. Right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and select clear.

If you are double clicking a file in Project Assets to open the Preview Window to trim the file with this features Set In Set Out points and drag the trim to the Timeline, you can create a "New Trimmed Project" by using File Menu/Project Archiver/Archive option. Thereafter work from that project file in the Trimmed Folder that is created by using the Project Archiver and specifically its Archive Project option.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Creating A New Trimmed Project?

Please review and consider the above, let us know if that works for you, and then we can discuss other choices.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
            Andrew Norrie Level 1

Hi ATR,

THanks for your reply.  In imovie, there is an easy way to permanently delete unwanted footage once it has been 'trimmed'.  I was trying to find something similar in premiere elements?   I guess your method works or I have discovered that I can edit the footage in QuickTime, however, both seem quite cumbersome by comparison.  Am I missing something?

kind regards

Andrew

• 4. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the follow up.

The new trimmed project is the best way I can think of to move forward in a Premiere Elements 13 project without the baggage of large files that you no longer need and want. As I wrote in the blog post, that perk

has not worked since Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. But, now it is working in Premiere Elements 13.

However, on reflections, let me clarify that in the above I was thinking in terms of the project's source media that are copied to folder when using the Project Archiver/ and one of its options.

What are you working with in the project...trimmed clips from the Preview Window from double clicking the file's thumbnail? Please give me an idea of what your project looks like when you want to eliminate what you do not want in the saved project file (.prel). The project file (.prel) is relatively small. Were you thinking in terms of archiving (saving copies of project file and it source media) or just saving a project file to the computer hard drive without archiving concept involved?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                moswey

Dear ATR, I actually had the same question as Andrew, I record concerts where I set the cameras and then have to attend to the visitors and musicians, and 3h later get a chance to stop the recordings after everyone left (some cameras on the stage, some on the balcony). This results in a huge amount of GB on my hard disks. I would like to permanently delete the parts before and after the concert and the intermission, so that it is gone from my hard drive. So far I have used the trim function of Quick Time, but was also wondering if there is no more obvious way to do it? (I work with Elements 11).

• 6. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                  Andrew Norrie Level 1

Hi ATR,

I think Mirjam below has nailed the issue which is the same as mine.  This is not about the project file, it is about the original source media files.  I'm not looking to archive project files or source media.  Say I have a 5 minute clip of which I only wish to keep and use 10 seconds.  For the good footage, I can 'mark as favourite moment' or trim it in the preview or timeline sections but I don't seem to have an option to delete the unwanted footage within Elements 13?

Regards

Andrew

• 7. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew and Mirjam

When you import source media from the computer hard drive into a Premiere Elements project, all you get in the project are copies of the original saved that are saved to your specific hard drive save location. And, the project must trace back to the originals at that hard drive save location where the originals were prior to import into the project.

The important point is that, after dragging the files to the Timeline and trimming them, those files are still needing to trace back to the originals on the hard drive. And, the project continues to trace back to the original (whole) and not the original as trimmed on the Timeline. The program does not impact the originals on the hard drive...non destructive aspects...

If you move, delete, or even rename files and folders for this project after the project is saved close, you will get hit with some difficult project media reconnect issues which cannot be corrected for if you opted for hard drive files/folders deletion(s).

Please let me know if you are clear on that since it is an important and I want to make sure that I am in sync for what you are seeking.

Andrew, as for this matter applied specifically to the Favorite Moments feature of 13, let me give that a look since my exploration of the Create/Video Story brought to light

some unexpected media related matters for that feature.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2015/01/pe-13-video-story-media-considerations.html

To be continued....

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                      moswey Level 1

Hello ATR

Yes, I am fully aware of what you are explaining, and that is exactly the problem. It means that I can't delete all the huge files from my hard disk, because if one of the musicians requests to change something in one of the short clips that I made out of the 3-hours long file, I can only do it if I kept the whole original file, which is forcing me to spend lots of money to buy more disk space. Therefore I am looking for an option that lets me delete all the parts in the original footage that have not been used in any of the clips I created from it. Each concert gives me something like 60 GB footage, of which I only need some parts. The rest is using up my disk space for nothing.

I have until now trimmed and saved what I need with Quick Time and then deleted the original file. Now running into problems with non-compatible mov files that came out of Quick time (yes, newest version), which I am currently discussing with Steve Grisetti in another discussion.

Thanks for your help

• 9. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam Rogger

Thanks for the follow up. Unfortunately, it is what it is with regard to Premiere Elements and project import's need to trace back to its whole originals saved to the computer hard drive.

I did some checking on

I have until now trimmed and saved what I need with Quick Time and then deleted the original file. Now running into problems with non-compatible mov files that came out of Quick time (yes, newest version), which I am currently discussing with Steve Grisetti in another discussion.

Apparently you start off with AVCHD.mts or AVCHD.mp4 from your Canon Legria HFG30. It looks like you are going with the AVCHD.mts and then converting that to a .mov file in QuickTime before trying to import that .mov file in Premiere Elements 11 Mac. Is that the correct interpretation? What is the video compression of these trimmed files that you are

creating in QuickTime and trying to import into Premiere Elements?

But there is another possibility that is not as obvious as video codec and file extension or Mac versus Windows. I am dusting off my memory trying to recall a thread of not so long ago where the user had issues with trims done in another project and then headed for a Premiere Elements project. I think the trims may have come from a CyberLink product.

Still trying to remember all the details...I am recalling this as trims from another program making a difference in import into the Premiere Elements project. But, maybe we can rule it in or out of your present Canon/QuickTime situation by doing the following

a. Open your QuickTime software and import your Canon AVCHD (assumed .mts). Use the same export settings as before for the QuickTime .mov end product, but do not

trim the clip. Export it as is. Then try to import the untrimmed .mov file into one of your Premiere Elements 11 Mac projects. Go or no go?

The above does not provide a fix but rather a better idea to figure out what is going on.

I will try to do a run through later today in support of this possibility to rule it in or out.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                          moswey Level 1

Hello ATR

A) yes correct - "going with the AVCHD.mts and then converting that to a .mov file in QuickTime before trying to import that .mov file in Premiere Elements 11 Mac."

B) Please can you tell me how I can look up what is the video compression of these trimmed files. Frame rate is 50.000 fps  - is that what you are asking?  (sorry, I am using German versions of both Quick Time and Premiere Elements).

C) I just tried that, saved the file without trimming as mov with Quick Time, then import to PE11 - same result. I can add it to the timeline but it's slowing down the system to an unusable speed. (As I have explained to Steve, I don't think it can be a hardware problem although I know MacBook Air is not designed for video editing, but with the same size footage out of my 3 Sony cameras it can handle the same type of files just fine).

Andrew- I guess our original question is answered, we can't actually delete parts of the original file in Premiere Elements.... Thanks ATR for that clarification, even if it is bad news at the moment ;-)

• 11. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam

Thanks for the reply.

You answered an important point in finding that it does not matter to your issue whether or not the .mov export from QuickTime is trimmed or untrimmed.

The quickest way to reveal the video compression would probably be to look at the export settings in the QuickTime export area.

For a full definition of the properties, probably the best would be free MediaInfo for Mac.

http://mediainfo.en.softonic.com/mac

Extremely helpful, but I prefer to avoid this unless necessary because of the unwanted baggage that often accompanies the download and install

of this very helpful free MediaInfo program.

Also, what other exports can you do from QuickTime. If you can, maybe look at .mp4 (assuming that you can set for H.264.mp4)

If it becomes necessary, you might consider posting a Dropbox link in your thread to one of these .mov trimmed files from QuickTime.

If you go to Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, do you see QuickTime presets listed there?

And, when you drag these .mov to the project's Timeline, are you viewing and working with content that has an orange line over it (not

the orange line that runs horizontally across the inside of the clip's representation on the Timeline?

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 12. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                              Andrew Norrie Level 1

Hi Mirjam and ATR

Yes, I agree the question has been answered albeit not the answer I was hoping for!  Thank you for your time ATR.   Can I confirm the best way to reduce file size of source media is to edit it down in Quicktime prior to importing it into PE 13?

Regards

Andrew

• 13. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Thanks for the follow up.

Since you have established that you get the same results (QuickTime to Premiere Elements), I would stay with the QuickTIme for the purposes of the trim and chance to delete unwanted source media from your hard drive.

However, on the matter of the behavior of the QuickTime .mov in your project, the format of the trim or untrimmed export from QuickTime may need to be reconsidered. Have you looked at the QuickTIme export as an .mp4 file (if possible H.264.mp4) and compared that to H.264.mov?

ATR

• 14. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                  moswey Level 1

Hi ATR

Here is the answer of Mediainfo:

MediaInfo Kopie.jpg

In Quicktime, what I did after trimming, was just click on "save" and not change any settings. If I click "export" instead of "save", I get the following options:

1080p...

720p...

480p...

iPad, iPhone iPad touch & Apple TV...

Audio only...

iTunes.....

Yes, If I go to Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, I see QuickTime presets listed there, I was using these successfully all the time with my Sony camera files.

And, when I drag these .mov to the project's Timeline, there is no orange line over it. (If I add the clip out if the Sony camera, there is).

Please find here one of the trimmed files that are causing the problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ah4x3iagvntub8t/Canon_Trimmed.mov?dl=0

One more thing I have to mention- if I take the whole AVCHD file from the SD card directly to the project (without using QuickTime at all), it gives me the message, "This file type is not supported or requires a not installed codec" (sorry I'm translating from German).

If I import the AVCHD file with the software that came with the camera (Data Import Utility), it creates a folder with all the separate mts files. If I import one of those with "add media", it tells me something like "While importing there has occured a general error".

Thank you so much for your help!

Mirjam

• 15. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam

My download of your file is taking longer than expected. I have about 20 minutes more of download time. I do some testing of the file immediately when the download is completed.

It is only about 7:30 pm here so I should have some results from testing the file before midnight.

To be continued

ATR

• 16. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam

I just got finished working in Premiere Elements 13 Windows 7 64 bit with your AVCHD.mov trim from QuickTime editing.

I had no problems importing that into my Premiere Elements 13. I let the project determine the project preset automatically, and it

opted for the correct 1080p50 project preset.

In spite of that, this is what I suspect is at the core of your issue - something else to rule in or out.

The video that you sent is a AVCHD.mov file. In MediaInfo it is characterized by a variable frame rate rather than a constant one.

We see minimum frame rate 16.67 progressive frames per seconds and maximum frame rate progressive 50.00 frames per second.

The general frame rate given the file is 50.00 progressive frames per second.

Premiere Elements does not fare well with files with variable frame rates. I do not see that in my iPod videos recorded with a variable frame rate, but it has been reported frequently

here and fixed by taking the file through HandBrake to correct the situation by changing the variable to a fixed frame rate. The symptoms for

this type of problem typically range from out of sync audio to cannot import the file at all.

I do not have QuickTime for edits, but it is my believe that you can set for variable to constant frame rate in your QuickTime workflow.

There was a variable frame rate set in the export settings of what you sent.

So, look for a possible fix in altering your QuickTime exports to have a constant frame rate of 50.00 progressive frames per second.

Let us see what happens.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 17. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                        moswey Level 1

Thank you ATR

Unfortunately, the new QuickTime version of OS Yosemite does not let me change the export settings anymore. I have read about it on the internet and people recommend to install the old QuickTime Player 7 version. However the old version can not read neither my AVCHD file nor the mts files.

Can you give me an advise how to change to a constant frame rate other than using Quick Time?

Something else I have discovered - if I import the small .mts files out of the camera, it works (meaning- no error message, but still incredibly slow) . But for the big ones (4GB), it tells me that there was an error importing the file, even if it comes out of the same original AVCHD file.

Do you think it could actually be a hardware problem? Too slow computer? Even if with the Sony files it works fine? (I would be willing to spend some money on a fast computer, if I was sure that this would solve the problem....)

Thank you so much for your help

Mirjam

• 18. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam Rogger

Thanks for the update.

What I typically suggest is the use of the free HandBrake (Windows/Mac) for converting from variable to constant frame rate.

https://handbrake.fr/

1. Tools Menu/Options/Preferences/General/Output Files/MP4 file extension set to "Always Use MP4".

2. No screenshot Steps 1 through 5 involve the opening of the program and when you are working under the Picture Tab.

"1" relates to Source and selecting file for conversion; "2" relates to changing the Chapters to Seconds; "3" relates to

browsing to a location for the save of the end product H.264.mp4 file; "4" relates to setting Output Settings/Container Mp4; "5"

relates to using Regular/Normal in the column to the right.

Under the Video Tab, details 6 through 10.....All is finished when you get to 10 and see Queue Finished and not the message Ready.

HandBrake3.JPG

Please let us know if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Important Add On...I decided to go through a HandBrake run through with the trimmed mov that you sent. I am

having some difficulties with settings under the Picture Tab. I will try to resolve them at soon as possible. I had

not run into this type of Picture Tab issue in past use of that software with other files.

• 19. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                            moswey Level 1

Dear ATR

Yes!!!!! Now I can import the file, getting an orange line and work with it! Thank you so much!!

I wasn't able to import the AVCHD file into HandBrake, but with the .mov file it worked.

So is this what I have to do now every time with my AVCHD files - first convert it to a .mov and then change the frame rate to "constant"?

On my camcorder I can record in MP4 instead of AVCHD, but in the manual it says that this is for lower quality. I will try it out if the difference is visible.

In every case I am very grateful for your help and that I can finally produce these clips now! Thank you ever so much!

Below is the settings that I used in HandBrake. I could choose "regular normal" under "presets" in the menu bar.

Do I understand correctly, that I can use the "Seconds" part for trimming the clip?

Thank you so much for staying on my case and helping!!!

Best regards

Mirjam

HandBrake.jpg

• 20. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam

I finally figured out what I was overlooking when I did a HandBrake test run with the 1080p50 .mov and variable to constant frame rate.

When I was in the Picture Tab view, the Crop automatic setting was kicking in. So, I went with Crop Custom

with 0 top, 0 bottom, 0 right, and 0 left. All is well now. I had been getting 1920 x 886 and not 1920 x 1080.

And, in the Source area, I prefer the seconds to Chapter (I do whole video and have not gotten into HandBrake trimming. But

that has worked for me also.

There is a way to batch encode from HandBrake. If interested I will dig out that how to.

Typically you will see VBR (variable bitrate) used in video settings and CBR (contant bitrate) used in audio settings.

Also, when you are in the Video Tab, I prefer to set Framerate (FPS) to a number rather than Same As Source.

Please let me know if you need further information on the above. We are so very pleased with your successes.

Best wishes

ATR

• 21. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                                moswey Level 1

Thank you so much ATR for your help.

Just for me to understand - the fact that I can't work with my file with variable frame rate, is it "normal" or is that a glitch in the Elements 11 version? Would upgrading to PE13 allow me to use my files as they are without changing the frame rate setting? And would you recommend to record in MP4 instead of AVCHD? Or should I have been able to import the AVCHD file into HandBrake too (it didn't recognize it).

Just trying to find out if I am doing something wrong that all these efforts are necessary, or if that is considered "normal".

Thank you and best regards

Mirjam

• 22. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mirjam

This matter of the variable versus constant frame rate seems to have impacted several versions of Premiere Elements. And it seems to have also hit the Premiere Pro sector, although I am not involved with that Premiere Pro. And, as I mentioned, the effect of this variable frame rate has been related to anything from audio out of sync to not being able to import the file with the variable frame rate into a Premiere Elements project.

My only contact to video recorded with variable frame rate has been by way of my iPod touch 4th generation and some iPhone sample videos. To date, no problems in this regard. No need to convert variable to constant frame rate.

I have no reason to believe this situation will be any different going to version 13. You could look at the program's tryout before any purchase to confirm the situation in your particular computer environment and with your source media.

As for what to record from your camera. Both .mts and .mp4 are file extensions. It is my understanding that each uses AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression.

Typically the AVCHD.mts will include Dolby Digital audio (AC-3) whereas the AVCHD.mp4 will include AAC audio.

Nearly forgot to mention....very short how to on batch encoding with HandBrake to get the H.264.mp4.

1. Put your videos into a folder saved to the computer hard drive.

2. In HandBrake, Source/Folder

3. Add To Quene/Select All

4. Then set your export settings in Picture Tab and Video Tab.

5. Hit Start.

As your schedule permits, please update as on your progress. Sounding good.

ATR

• 23. Re: How do I permanently delete parts of my original video footage that I don't use for editing purposes?  i.e. to save space on my hard drive.
                                                    moswey Level 1

I finally figured out what I was overlooking when I did a HandBrake test run with the 1080p50 .mov and variable to constant frame rate.

When I was in the Picture Tab view, the Crop automatic setting was kicking in. So, I went with Crop Custom

with 0 top, 0 bottom, 0 right, and 0 left. All is well now. I had been getting 1920 x 886 and not 1920 x 1080.

Oh yes, now I see what you mean. The same happened to me. Wrong size. Starting over again :-) Thanks for describing this!