6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 12:13 PM by JamesAC

AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback

JamesAC Level 1

Hey,

I'm having serious trouble finding an answer to this question so apologies in advance if it's already been answered!

Does the new 5K iMac with the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB card support Mercury playback in Premiere Pro?

And secondly is it at least a faster card than the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR from the old iMac when working in AE and PP?

I'm in the process of buying a new Mac w/raid system, and though I have no need for 5K I do want the Thunderbolt 2 conection to pair it with a Peg Promis R8.

It seems totally mad to have to buy an older (maybe slower) iMac because Apple and Adobe don't get along!

Thanks

• 1. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
          cc_merchant Level 4

AMD cards are about two times slower than equally priced nVidia cards as far as PR goes. The video card makes no difference in AE, since AE has no hardware acceleration.

• 2. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
            JamesAC Level 1

So I would genuinly be beter off buying the old iMac with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M in place of the 5K iMac and the AMD Radeon R9 M295X? And hence forgetting the Thunderbolt 2......

I also use Capture One and Photoshop a lot, do you know what affect the card has on those progams?

Thanks for the responce!

• 3. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
              cc_merchant Level 4

Read the Beware box here: Tweakers Page - What video card to use? to see where a video card kicks in.

Thunderbolt is the only sensible connection for raids on Mac's, unless you go for external storage and a dedicated Areca controller.

I guess you will profit more from the Peg Promis R8 than from the video card.

• 4. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
                JamesAC Level 1

Facinating! Makes me want to ditch the iMac and get a PC... Wish apple gave you a little more choice.

I do find it amazing that even the new mac pro with Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each (well over 6k) would strugle to keep up with last year's iMac with the GeForce (well under 3k).

Do you think Adobe will bring out suport for the cards as they don't support a single top line iMac or Mac Pro anymore?

Though it's intresting you think I'd benefit more from Thunderbolt 2 with an AMD than Thunderbolt 1 with the GeForce.

Next question if I have 'a man' that will swap put the new AMD card for the old GeForce card will I experience other problems down the line, is that s really bad idea?

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Sorry, I misinterpreted you. I thought the option was nVidia and no Thunderbolt versus AMD and Thunderbolt 2.

The difference between Thunderbolt 1 and 2 is not that big in practical performance and with 8 HDD's in the PEG, you will not even use the full bandwidth of Thunderbolt 1, let alone Thunderbolt 2. If the PEG is populated with SSD's, then Thunderbolt 1 is about as fast as 2 SSD's in raid0 and Thunderbolt 2 is around as fast as 3 SSD's in raid0. Adding more SSD's in the PEG will not improve performance. That is the practical limitation of Thunderbolt.

With HDD's in the PEG, I think Thunderbolt 1 and nVidia is preferable, but maybe that is offset by other improvements in the new iMac.

• 6. Re: AMD Radeon R9 with Mercury Playback
                    JamesAC Level 1

All very good to know... Wish I had the cash to fill a PEG 8 with SSDs that would be insane (and aparently pointless)!

But just to be clear, will the Mercury Playback work with the AMD card?

Anyone with the new 5K iMac out there that uses PP?