1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 1:03 PM by ssprengel

I use a Canon MPE-65 almost exclusively and can't find a profile for this lens in the LR 5 lens correction panel.

donp52470249

Is Adobe planning to add this lens profile? Or is there a workaround?

• 1. Re: I use a Canon MPE-65 almost exclusively and can't find a profile for this lens in the LR 5 lens correction panel.
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don’t think Adobe can make lens profiles for this specialized macro lens.

Lens profiles correct for geometric distortions and vignetting, and both of these change based on subject distance, aperture, focal length and for this lens, the 1x-5x zoom setting.

Lens profile files consist of a series of corrections for various combination of the above.

For a lens profile to be created the lens has to communicate the subject distance, focal-length, aperture and zoom level to the camera and the camera has to record these in the EXIF data so that Adobe products can read it these parameters and look up the matching correction.

I don’t have this lens, but I am reading that it is a manual lens which can mean that there is no communication of lens settings back to the camera.  Is this true, at least for some of the settings?  If so, then Adobe cannot match a lens profile with the lens settings and a lens profile would be useless.

If you always shoot your macros with a few combinations of your settings there’s a possibility you could make your own lens profiles and match them up, yourself, based on notes you take at each session.

The Adobe Lens Profile Creator, that is available as a download from Adobe, uses checkerboard patterns.  It would be necessary to create very small ones for this lens, if 5x really makes a grain of rice full-frame.

You can read more about it, here, and try to create your own:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/digital-negative.html#resources