19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 1:40 PM by ksmith101

5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow

ksmith101 Level 1

Since upgrading to lightroom 5.7 yesterday it takes many many seconds to open the import dialog.  Nothing was changed on my end other than running the upgrade via Creative Cloud.  I have a super fast new computer so specs are not an issue.  Everything was great prior to upgrade.  I can find many people complaining about this same issue, but I can not find any solutions online.  HeLP!!  Seconds count in my business of photography!

• 1. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
          gvb279 Level 3

Where are all these complainants. I use LR5.7.1 on a i3 laptop with no such issue.

Capture.PNG

• 2. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

5.7.1 is the fasted version yet on my machine, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to sugget that the best-specced machines have the biggest problems with Lr.

Hard to speculate what's going on with the OP when he hasn't given us any useful info - we don't even know which OS he's using.

ksmith101 wrote:

Seconds count in my business of photography!

We get it - we're all photographers here...

• 3. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
              Modesto Vega Level 1

Keith_Reeder wrote:

there's plenty of anecdotal evidence to sugget that the best-specced machines have the biggest problems with Lr.

Assuming this what you intended to write (machines with better specs have more problems with Lr), I am curious to know more about the anecdotal evidence, just to compare notes.

ksmith101, some information regarding your computer could help. Things like operating system (full version), memory, displays, hard drive setup and so on. @Keith_Reeder is quite right.

• 4. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                ksmith101 Level 1

gvb279 just google it and you will find many complaints about slow downs after upgrade...but no solutions are listed that I can find.

Keith_Reeder...I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, 32gb RAM, 64 bit OS, intel core i7-3770 cpu @3.4 ghz  (that's before yesterday's upgrade and after!)  Every other program I use still runs fast and fine except for LR 5.7 upgrade via Creative Cloud.

Any productive comments on how to 'fix' this slowdown would be appreciated.

• 5. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                  Modesto Vega Level 1

What is the resolution of your display? Are you dealing with RAW files? When I upgraded to 5.7.1 I had to change the size of the Camera Raw cache (under Lightroom Preferences), it is now 10GB, I know some people have changed it to 100GB. After the upgrade LR was sluggish but seconds are not too important to me.

• 6. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                    ksmith101 Level 1

Modesto Vega....  Always shoot Raw....import into LR as DNG...

my camera raw cache is set to 3 gb

You say your LR was sluggish after the upgrade....did it change any after you increased to the 10gb?

NEC MultiSync P221W monitor set at 1680x1050, calibrated (if that matters to anyone)

update.....I changed to the suggested 10gb....still just as slow bringing up the import dialog screen.  It will also say 'not responding' for a brief moment in the top line where Lightroom's header line is ...but that goes away and the dialog screen slowly populates.

• 7. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                      Modesto Vega Level 1

Changing the camera raw cache to 10GB made a difference, at least enough to stop talking to myself about the slow performance of the development module. Your screen resolution matters, at least in the development module, but since you are not running a 5K screen, it might not relevant.

Have you made any edits to this post? I got an e-mail notification with more info that what is visible in your last post. What LR functionality are you having problems with?

• 8. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                        ksmith101 Level 1

Yes, I edited because I got confused as I was explaining and used the word export instead of import.....what you see above is correct...sorry for the confusion....plus I edited it to reflect that I had changed the cache with no effects.

• 9. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                          ksmith101 Level 1

My issue is the import function as stated in my first post here.....sorry for any confusion when I accidentally typed export then edited it.

• 10. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                            Modesto Vega Level 1

So the performance problems are related to the Import process. If so, how are you importing? Using a card reader or connecting the camera to the computer? If you are connecting the camera to the computer, what camera make? Also how many files are you importing at a time and what size (in megapixels)?

• 11. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                              ksmith101 Level 1

My import process is as follows. (yes I do it the long way but this is how I do it)

I copy the files from my card to my computer using a built in card reader.  This step does not include Lightroom.

I then open LR and select to go to the import dialog screen...this is where the slow down started after the upgrade yesterday, including the 'not responding' that pops up before it loaded the import screen.

Once LR decides to completely give me the import dialog screen everything else works as quickly as it should from that point forward.

The rest of my import process really doesn't come into play with the slow down, but since you asked....I select my source, which is the location of the files on my harddrive, not the card. I select to Copy as a DNG, select my destination, etc...and import.

Nikon D800, huge files yes, but this is not coming into play based on my process of importing.  Quantity of files I am importing vary but again doesnt matter since that is not where the slow down is.

• 12. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                Modesto Vega Level 1

Not sure what to say, it certainly does not do it on my computer but I am use a Mac.

The only 3 things that occur to me are:

- Do you have the SD on the card reader when this happens? If so have you tried removing it.

- Do you have anything plug to your computer (like your mobile phone)? If so have you tried unplugging it.

- If none of the above, it might be a permissions issue but somebody else might need to contribute, although I can still help.

ksmith101 wrote:

Nikon D800, huge files yes, but this is not coming into play based on my process of importing.  Quantity of files I am importing vary but again doesnt matter since that is not where the slow down is.

True, but if you have the SD media on the card reader it might come into play.

• 13. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                  ksmith101 Level 1

Even if SD was on the card reader....that is not where my issue is...  I am able to copy my files from the card via the card reader to my harddrive without any issues...quick and fast as usual regardless of my huge file sizes....  Just the simple task of clicking on import within LR is where the slow down is....just waiting on the import screen to populate...once it populates it is back to fast and quick importing the files from my harddrive into LR.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway!  If I find a solution I will post it here so maybe some other people can benefit.  I know I am not the only one with this issue!

• 14. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                    Modesto Vega Level 1

ksmith101 wrote:

Even if SD was on the card reader....that is not where my issue is...

It could make a difference, the same way that having a mobile, iPod or iPad plug could also make a difference. My import screen takes longer to load if my iPad is plugged to the computer or the SD is on the reader.

• 15. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                      ksmith101 Level 1

There are no mobile devices of any kind attached.  The card reader is the same today as it was before the upgrade yesterday.  Can you explain what you mean by the SD on the card reader.  Maybe you are referring to something I am unaware of that might be the answer...here's hoping anyway.

• 16. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                        Modesto Vega Level 1

ksmith101 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by the SD on the card reader.  Maybe you are referring to something I am unaware of that might be the answer...here's hoping anyway.

Let's assume that you trying to importing 200 photos (200 36.3 megapixels files in your case) with your workflow. This are the steps you are taking:

1) Insert the Nikon D800 SD card on your computer's card reader

2) Copy the files from the SD card to a location on your hard drive

3) Open LR to import the files

If between 2 and 3, you have not ejected the SD card from the card reader (if the card reader on your computer is not empty), the LR import dialog would definitely check that the SD card on the reader and might even try to scan it (for RAW files) before you select it. The only way to rule it out is to have the card reader empty.

Hopefully this is clear.

P.S.: I do not have this problem and cannot replicate it, my RAW files are 24.3 megapixels.

• 17. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                          ksmith101 Level 1

Thanks for the clarification.... when you used 'on' instead of 'in' I was confused and thought maybe you were referring to something else.

My card (CF in my case) is NOT in the reader when I try to import.  I eject it as soon as the copy of the files complete from the card to the hard drive. 

• 18. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                            Modesto Vega Level 1

No problem, clarifications are important.

I am really running out of ideas, if I really stretch my mind a bit I would check a few crazy things:

1) Make sure that you are running LR 64-bit and not 32-bit (just in case, I am sure you are)

2) Reboot the computer (just in case, it wasn't rebooted after the upgrade)

3) Check any permission issues (as mentioned before)

My import window with the SD media on the reader and between 200 to 300 photos on the card (some already imported) takes no longer than 5 seconds to pop up.

Other than this, I have run out of ideas. Somebody else might be able to contribute.

• 19. Re: 5.7 upgrade runs extremely slow
                                              ksmith101 Level 1

Thanks again Modesto Vega!!