4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 12:39 PM by GreenMcCabe

Ratio Denominators error

GreenMcCabe

Hi guys (and girls),

I'm having this error where when I try to add a video clip into an AE composition it gives me an error regarding my piece saying, "Overflow converting ratio denominators (17::18). I know there are a few other posts on this error on the thread but none are ore recent then early 2014 so I don't know how viable the answers still are. The file I am trying to add in is an MP4 file 2.5GB file size 1280x720 @ 30fps. If someone could just let me know how to fix it so I can fit the file in the composition without getting that error it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Ratio Denominators error
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

We can't know. You have not provided any exact info like version of AE, system info, exact specs and source of the MP4 files and so on. Also, since it's an MP4 file, try to transcode it in another program like Handbrake.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Ratio Denominators error
            GreenMcCabe Level 1

Thanks for your reply Mylenium

Part of the reason I didn't provide some of those Specs is that I don't know the exact info. As far as my version of AE I am using AE off of Creative Cloud which has been updating it automatically so it would be the latest version of AE for CC. The source of the file was recorded using an Elgato HD Game Capture Card and it's accompanying software.

As for transcoding the file into a different format would I be able to use Adobe Media Encoder to do that, and if so what format would you recommend using?

• 3. Re: Ratio Denominators error
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

GreenMcCabe wrote:

As far as my version of AE I am using AE off of Creative Cloud which has been updating it automatically so it would be the latest version of AE for CC.

Yes, so that would be version 12.2.1.5

But that's not the latest version of After Effects. The latest version of After Effects is 13.2.0.49 (Which is After Effects CC 2014.2) CC and CC 2014 are completely different versions of the program and not a simple update. Also, sometimes the Creative Cloud app doesn't update correctly. We've had a lot of people lately who are on version 13.0.1 who thought they were updated. So, go to Help>About in AE and find out what your full version number is.

GreenMcCabe wrote:

As for transcoding the file into a different format would I be able to use Adobe Media Encoder to do that, and if so what format would you recommend using?

Possibly AME could do it. It might also have a similar error.

QuickTime with the Photo-JPEG codec would be a good intermediate codec.

• 4. Re: Ratio Denominators error
                GreenMcCabe Level 1

I tried converting to a QT file as you suggested and that seems to be working better with AE at the moment. I'll see how it goes by the end of the process