3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2015 1:24 PM by Rick Gerard
      • 1. Re: What does the Community Think of Type Money and Layer Money to rapidly support the creation of Kinetic typography or Motion Text?
        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use templates, but if you do, just make sure that everyone else isn't using the same ones and don't try and pass it off as your own original work. Without a link to these templates I have no idea what they are. Google doesn't bring up anything useful.

For all of my Kinetic style animations I have about 80 animation presets that use expressions based on in and out points for the layers. They add timing sliders to the layers. I create my project in Illustrator arranging layers in their Resting position centered in the frame because all of my animation presets bring a layer into view, let it rest until just before the out point of the layer, then fly it out of frame. I import this multi layered AI comp (usually one for each ai file for each paragraph of copy, sometimes one for each sentence, into AE as a composition with cropped layers. I add an audio track that I have run speech recognition with a text file for the copy in Premiere Pro to the comp. This puts markers on the audio track with the words embedded, then I trim all of the layers to about 3 seconds, sequence layers, then drop in my animation presets. I adjust the in and out points of the layers to match up with the words, apply the appropriate animation preset like flyInRightBounceFlyOut or SpinDownSwintSlideOutRight to each layer, fine tune the timing a bit, add any style or color grading to the project and then, for the most part, without ever running a ram preview for more than a second or two, send the project to render.

The trick to almost all of this kind of animation is pre-production planning. Most of my work is involves so much custom text that most templates are useless. A while ago I knocked out one of these projects in about 3 hours including writing and recording the audio track. Done by hand using keyframes would have taken about 3 days. Adapting a template to the project could not possibly have taken any less time than using my animation presets. I would suggest that if you do purchase a template you find out if adjusting the timing requires manually moving keyframes and if the animations can be saved as animation presets so you can build your own library.

Just for fun, here's a preset for you to try. Just set an in and out point for a layer, slide it into it's resting position and then apply the preset.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tewk9s88mpkmnou/flyInBounceDropOut.ffx?dl=0

• 2. Re: What does the Community Think of Type Money and Layer Money to rapidly support the creation of Kinetic typography or Motion Text?
          Peter_Sodhi Level 1

Thank you Rick this is very helpful. I cannot seem to open the download (in am on CC 2014) but will try and earlier version of AE

Regards

Peter

• 3. Re: What does the Community Think of Type Money and Layer Money to rapidly support the creation of Kinetic typography or Motion Text?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't open the download, you place the .ffx folder in an appropriate folder, then select your layer and go to Animation>Apply animation preset and browse to that folder and click on it.

There is a default folder for user presets that you can use. The location depends on your OS. I have mine setup with an alias to a dropbox folder so my 200+ animation presets are available to me no matter where I am or where I'm working.