9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2016 4:51 PM by tscole

[Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document

CastaLibre

Hi, i'm on MAC (10.9.5) and since yesterday it's impossible for me to open a document on Photoshop CC 2014.

I can't even open a simple picture.

I already uninstalled the software, reinstall it, and deleted preferences via the keyboard shortcut.

Any persons with the same problem??

• 1. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
          norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

A usual first step is to reset your Preferences:

If Photoshop is already open on your screen, close it (Quit). Then hold down  Shift+Command+Option on your keyboard and start Photoshop.

A dialog box will pop up asking if you want to delete the existing Preferences file (the "Settings" file). Click Yes in the dialog box. The existing Preferences file will be scrapped and a new one will be created.

• 2. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
            Level 7

Does it crash?  If so, what does the long, detailed crash report say?

• 3. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
              CastaLibre Level 1

Hi! Thanks for your help.

PS open without problem, i can create a blank document but when i try to open another, it crash.

I already deleted the preferences with the shortcut with no succes

Here the report :

Process:         Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 [547]

Path:            /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop CC 2014

Identifier:      com.adobe.Photoshop

Version:         15.2.2 (15.2.2.310)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [145]

Responsible:     Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 [547]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2015-01-26 23:24:30.602 +0100

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Report Version:  11

Anonymous UUID:  B1C9C7EE-450C-0FB7-41A0-701F43F1BD8C

Sleep/Wake UUID: BE8C10F2-CC3B-4C92-94E8-57624C6F5667

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

Attempt to set a non-property-list object as an NSUserDefaults/CFPreferences value

abort() called

• 4. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                Level 7

We need to see the rest of the crash report.

• 5. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                  CastaLibre Level 1

I can't paste the log here it is too long so you can find it here : http://justpaste.it/j3p4

Thanks again for your help.

• 6. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                    Level 7

Looks like Photoshop is trying to set a preference in a plist file, and Apple's code for working with plist files is crashing due to something already in the plist file.

Apple has fixed a few similar crashes in their plist code in the past, but this one doesn't quite match any of those.

I'll have to do more research to see if we can figure out exactly which plist is bad.

My first guess is that the shared MRU list (used by Bridge) is corrupt (it happened before, and exposed some of the previous Apple crashes).

Exit Photoshop and Bridge, then try deleting the file ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

Then relaunch Photoshop and try opening a document.

• 7. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                      CastaLibre Level 1

Thanks again for your help!

Deleting the file seems to resolve the problem : i can now open files and pictures again!

The weird thing is that i don't have Bridge installed on this computer... Anyway it works!

• 8. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                        Level 7

Photoshop updates that file even if Bridge isn't installed.

But MacOS has issues when plist files get corrupt, and Apple's code keeps corrupting them...

We'll have to see if we can get more information on similar crashes and get Apple to fix it.

• 9. Re: [Mac] Photoshop CC 2014 quit when i open a document
                          tscole

I was experiencing very similar issue with Illustrator CC. Trying to save a simple file caused it to hang. Trying to open a file caused it to hang. I'd tried full uninstall and reinstall using Adobe tools - spent 2 hours on the phone to Adobe Support... nothing worked. Found this post after hours and hours of search... thought - why not:

Deleted the ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

Presto - Illustrator back in action!!

Thank you so much. Hopefully by adding this comment anyone googling for similar issues with Illustrator will find the solution to!