14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 11:44 AM by Peter Spier

tabloid size Booklet to pdf question

4boyz Level 1

Hi everyone - I have a document that I need turned into an impositioned pdf so I can take it to an outside printer.  I am having 2 problems.  When I go to the print preset section, I do not have an option for a pdf.  I can only choose from my default home printer and a postscript file.  How do I find an option for a pdf file? 

On the same vein, because my only 2 options in the print preset section are my home printer and postscript file, it will not allow me to change the paper size to tabloid (11X17).  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

My operating system is OS10, InDesign CC.

• 1. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
          MW Design Level 4

Does your print service not have the ability to impose a PDF? Even the quick-print establishments around here can impose from Acrobat. In general, if you are not printing it yourself, imposition is the purview of the print establishment.

Mike

• 2. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
            4boyz Level 1

So I should just save the document as a pdf and let the printer impose it? I guess I need to find my printer.  I'm not sure if I need to go local or online, but my document (book) has a lot of pictures so I'm looking for a high quality print job.

What about being able to change the paper size?  Can't figure that out.

Thanks for the help.

Tiera

• 3. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
              Derek Cross Level 6

Which country are you in?

• 4. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                MW Design Level 4

Yes, in general you would export to PDF as single pages, in what is called reading order (page 1 through page X). You need to talk with your printer about what they expect from you.

As for changing paper sizes, it is going to depend on the print driver that is selected and the paper sizes available for it. But for going to PS using a Mac, you need to download and install the Adobe 9 PPD. See the following post:

Re: Device Independent Postscript file doesn't let me choose paper size or output options

Mike

• 5. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

4boyz wrote:

So I should just save the document as a pdf and let the printer impose it? I guess I need to find my printer.  I'm not sure if I need to go local or online, but my document (book) has a lot of pictures so I'm looking for a high quality print job.

Don't even think about imposing this yourself. If you want a high quality job you need to find a printer that knows how to do the imposition for his equipment, so if you find a printer that tells you you need to impose the book yourself keep looking.

• 6. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                    Derek Cross Level 6

The reason I mentioned your whereabouts is that those who are interested in self publishing and who are based in the UK might be interested in this forthcoming conference: http://www.selfpublishingconference.org.uk

(I have no connection with it).

Derek

• 7. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                      4boyz Level 1

Ok. I'm going to try and install Adobe 9 PPD this morning and see what happens.  I'll call around to local printers and see what they say.  Any recommendations for online printers that do a good job? I live in the US.

My talent is hand binding books, which is my plan when I get my book printed.  I have had a steep learning curve trying to get this book together, printed and ready to bind.

Thanks for all your help.

Tiera

• 8. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                        MW Design Level 4

Tiera,

In the US, with extremely few exceptions, they will not want an imposed PDF. This especially applies to on-line digital printers using automated work-flows. Likely the imposed file will simply be rejected.

About the only time I impose something is when I have made special self-binding projects. for that I use an Acrobat plug-in that has far more control than merely printing to PS.

As for a recommendation? Depends on whether you want high-quality versus inexpensive. There are lots of options, but in general most on-line print establishments like Quantum et al are of the low to mid-quality, digital print end of the spectrum.

Mike

• 9. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question

Are you printing 1 copy, 100, 1000? Color? It makes a big difference in what technology will make sense and what you can expect to pay.

And which part of the US? Lots of great printers out there, but it might save you some money if you don't have to ship a lot of heavy paper.

• 10. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                            Derek Cross Level 6

If it's going to be case bound, you'll presumably want sewn sections. If so, that will affect the choice of printer.

• 11. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                              4boyz Level 1

I'm making genealogy books with 50/50 text and photographs.  I will only be printing 1 or 2 books per document.  Definitely color.  I'm looking for mid-high quality printing as (I'm hoping) these will stay in the family and be passed down.  Each book will be roughly 150 pages with a heavier paper.  I will be sewing the sections together myself and making the cases.  I need my document printed on tabloid size paper (imposed, 2 pages per side so when I fold them the pages are 8 1/2 x 11).    I live in UT.

I've downloaded and installed Adobe 9 PPD (Thank you Mike!) and I've selected tabloid and oriented my paper in the print preset section.  In the little display box, it only shows one page per side of the tabloid paper when I need it to be printed 2 pages (side by side) onto the paper.  Is this something the printer would do once it gets imposed or is there some magic button I haven't discovered? 

I had watched several tutorials that talked about setting up your print presets (done, except for my issue above).  Then going to print-booklet, put in my settings and let it do it's thing and then save.  However, you guys say that I should let the printer do the imposition instead.

How do I then export my document in pdf form in reading order and include my print presets?  I seem to be missing a link here.

I do appreciate all your help.  Though I've spent hours watching/reading tutorials I still have many questions.

Tiera

• 12. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                                Derek Cross Level 6

You don't touch imposition –  just export your book as separate individual PDF pages. Your printer may be able to provide you with an ICC profile. Make sure your printer can print your book in, at least, four pages sections, otherwise you won't be able to sew it!

• 13. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question
                                  MW Design Level 4

Yep, just export without impositions. Make sure your page count is evenly dividable by 4 even if you have to add blank pages (typically at the end, but not necessarily so) and if so, then make sure to include blank pages in the export. The resulting PDF should simply display a single page from beginning to its end. Imposition software will/can create the signatures needed, optionally output another PDF for review, etc.

But you really have to communicate with the printer as to this need of yours (the need for signatures). This likely excludes most all on-line printers. Begin by calling some local to you print services and see what they can do for you as regards price. I have one printer around here that will digital print with high quality for not much more than Blurb, CreateSpace, Quantum, etc. And they would do it as signatures. So call some local services. This way you can easily do a press check (if ordered by you), and physically talk with their pre-press department if/when needed.

Mike

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: tabloid size Booklet to pdf question

If you're lucky, you'll find a local printer with an Indigo digital press. (I use a printer in Maine that has both the Indigo and and also does litho -- not cheap, but the quality off the Indigo is indistinguishable from the litho presses).