7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 1:06 PM by rob day

Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help

MHP777123 Level 1

A pair of Web links from Adobe (Add text and art in frames | Adobe InDesign CC tutorials and InDesign Help | Working with frames and objects) show how to paste an object into a frame. The first link shows using Paste Into to copy a sky image into a plane image, and the plane image is thereby used as a mask to show the sky through it. The second link shows something similar with a sky image blending into a leaf outline. Both links give step-by-step instructions to make this work, and the instructions are the same.

However, after nearly two hours of trying these techniques word-for-word and then scouring the Internet for other help, I cannot make it work. I am wondering, do the two images have to be the same type, resolution, etc.? Or does the first image have to be imported into the document somehow other than Place? Or how can I get this to actually work as these links show?

Here is what I do:

1. I found a plane clipart .gif image nearly identical to that used in the first link. I placed that into a new InDesign document.

2. I placed the desert.jpg image from the Windows 7 Sample Pictures onto the same page.

3. I used the Direct Select tool and clicked on the desert.jpg image (so that I got the orange bounding rectangle and therefore selected the image itself rather than the frame), and copied (Edit / Copy) it.

4. I used the Select tool and clicked on the plane.gif image (and therefore selected the frame) and did Edit / Paste Into.

5. Per both links above, that should make the plane image show the coloring of the desert.jpg image. However, all it does is completely overwrite the plane image with the desert.jpg image. This happens even if I make the desert.jpg image smaller than the plane.gif image. Also, the same thing happens if I use two jpg images. It also happens if I try to Paste Into the plane.gif image into the desert.jpg image. No matter what I do, the Paste Into action always completely overwrites the second image, rather than nesting / blending them.

What am I doing wrong? The links above make this all look so easy, but I cannot do it for the life of me! Please help!

• 1. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant
          1. Never use any GIF in InDesign.
          2. Show us with a screen shot, what you did and what you want to accomplish.
          • 2. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You cannot paste into an image.

However, you can paste into a shape of an image.

That shape must be already present (a path that is already drawn and available, in fact clickable with the direct selection tool, the white arrow). If your plane image is providing a path you can make it available with the Clipping Path options when you selected the image. Or you could build a new one with that options by "Searching Edges". That would work or would work not depending of the image itself.

Alternatively you can draw a new shape of the plane by yourself.

Eg. using the pencil tool. Or maybe using PhotoShop with its advanced tools for selecting areas of pixels by color etc.

Uwe

• 3. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

4. You can only paste into an empty frame. Delete the image from the frame and paste into that.

You're going to need a clipping path probably to get this to work the way you want.

• 4. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
                MHP777123 Level 1

Laubender (and also Bob),

This worked! It's interesting that neither of the links I provided above, which are official Adobe Tutorials and/or Help, discuss what is needed to make this work. They both just show someone Pasting Into image 2 into image 1, with minimal instructions to perform: Direct Select image 1, cut, Select image 2, and Paste Into. No description of required clipping paths, certain types of image files, etc. The Adobe Help system should be updated for beginners like me, to included complete, not partial (and ultimately very confusing), step-by-step instructions.

For anyone else with this confusion, here is what I did (and I did it with the plane.gif file):

1. Place image 1. (In this case, plane.gif, which I grabbed off of Google Images and which I noted previously looks almost exactly like the image the InDesign Tutorial shows being used, which is a black-filled plane shape surrounded by white.)

2. Place image 2. (In this case, desert.jpg from Windows 7 Sample Pictures.)

3. Direct Select image 1.

4. Object / Clipping Path / Options / Type: Detect Edges, take the defaults (Threshold: 25, Tolerance: 2, Inset: 0) / OK. (Note that changing Threshold either up or down doesn't seem to do anything, and changing Tolerance distorts the outline of the plane. The best results are just to take the defaults.)

5. Right-click image 1, and choose Convert Clipping Path to Frame. This places a blue outline around the black shape of the plane.

6. Direct Select image 2, right-click, Copy. (Or, Edit / Copy.)

7. Select (not Direct Select) image 1 (the outline of which is now apparently melded into the frame), right-click, Paste Into. (Or, Edit / Paste Into.)

8. Voilà! Image 2 now overwrites the black-filled plane, but ONLY the black-filled plane, and occupies the shape of image 1 (the plane) and does not overwrite the entire frame. You can now Direct Select image 1 and transform it as needed, and it will do so all within the shape of the plane.

• 5. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Those are marketing tools as much as anything. You’d be far better off with a subscription to lynda.com

This link will get a 10-day trial: http://bit.ly/1xHYd0i

• 6. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
                    MHP777123 Level 1

And Willi, here is the screen shot directly from the Adobe InDesign CC "Essentials for Beginners" (lol) tutorial, as to what the presenter is going to do: Cut and paste the blue background into the image of the plane. (Note that the presenter never says a word about clipping paths.)

New Picture (6).jpg

And here is the result that the presenter makes looks so easy. Or at least it ought to be so easy:

New Picture (7).jpg

• 7. Re: Can't make InDesign CC Paste Into work as explained in Help
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Adobe Help system should be updated for beginners like me, to included complete, not partial (and ultimately very confusing), step-by-step instructions.

The help page is pretty explicit about selecting a frame or path (not an image) before using Paste Into. Paste Into is grayed out when an image is selected.

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 3.52.08 PM.png