4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 1:53 PM by mcnallyj

Using the CINEWARE plugin to integrate my AE project with some 3D content

nziehn

Unfortunately, my object buffer is screwed up every few frames. Anybody else had this problem and has a solution?

Im running latest AE CC and latest C4D on a Mac.

Thx!!

• 1. Re: Using the CINEWARE plugin to integrate my AE project with some 3D content
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What object buffer? What does "screwed up" mean? Screenshots? Render settings? Compositing Tag settings? You need to be more specific.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Using the CINEWARE plugin to integrate my AE project with some 3D content
            nziehn Level 1

Here a little more content:

I have tracked a 3D camera in AE of some footage. Then I placed the target and created a solid and a camera. I then exported the 3D data to c4d and added a car to the scene.

Rendered in cinema 4d it looks like this (all screenshots are cropped, so please don't mind the misalignment..):

RGBA

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.17.57.png

Object buffer to use as a matte later to separate the car from the white background

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.18.06.png

The shadow layer (will later be multiplied..)

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.18.11.png

The Ambient Occlusion layer

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.18.14.png

The main problem is that when I don't render these in Cinema 4d but use the C4D integration the Object buffer looks (sometimes - not deterministic) like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 21.17.57.png

With most of the pixels inside the boundary of the car being black that actually should be 100% white!

Basically the object buffer is screwed up like this every few times I render the frame in AE. And it's impossible like this to render an entire movie clip...

The shadow and ambient occlusion images are also broken ever so often, but I think it all stems from the same issue.

Regarding the settings:

In C4D I use the compositing tag with object buffer set to 1, which is the same I specify in the output settings in C4D for the object buffer multi-pass. The other settings are pretty much standard (and I tried work on those as well, but no change.. )

In AE I use the maxon cineware 'effect' (thats the standard one you get when you drag a c4d file into AE) and selct multipass. Duplicate the layer 3 times. For the highest I select the Ambien Occlusion Pass and use Multiply blending.

The second highest is the Object Buffer, which I use as a matte for the 3rd layer, the actual RGBA background rendering. For this layer I select 'luma matte' and normal blending.

For the 4th layer I select the Shadow pass and use multiply blending.

The basic workflow I use is also described in this tutorial:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/how-to/cinema4d-motion-tracking-aftereffects.html

After following it, I got the results shown above.

The 'final' video frame should look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 21.16.41.png

Obviously this is not final, but to illustrate what I'm trying to accomplish!

Thx!!

• 3. Re: Using the CINEWARE plugin to integrate my AE project with some 3D content
              nziehn Level 1

Hi Mylenium, thanks for your reply. I now added more information. I hope it helps. If you need any more. please let me know. Thanks for your time!

• 4. Re: Using the CINEWARE plugin to integrate my AE project with some 3D content
                mcnallyj Level 1

Have you had any success with your problem?  I have the exact same thing happening.  The object buffer appears like a solid matte sometimes and a transparent outline other times.  I didn't notice this before upgrading to the latest AE version.