5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2015 4:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere 13 closes after open.

larrya6806783

Every time it opens, response is "An unexpected problem occurred and the program needs to close". Installation was no problem, "Installation successful". HP computer with all hardware and software (Windows 8.2) verified to be more than minimum requirements. Adobe Photoshop 13 loaded and works without a problem. Tried Windows trouble shoot, Premiere opened, imported a video clip, then in a few minutes, same problem, program gives same message and closed.

• 1. Re: Premiere 13 closes after open.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

larrya

Where are you getting Windows 8.2 from? I was not aware that that version was released as a new version or as an update to Windows 8.1. I have worked successfully with Windows 8.1 on Windows 7 and 8.1 64 bit.

Since you say that Premiere Elements 13 is opening, allowing you to import your video clip, and then your program shutdown occurs, let us begin with

1. What are the properties of this video file

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Knowing the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video might provide all the information that we need to consider this factor.

2. Then there are the usual drill questions

• Does the problem exist with or without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?
          • Are you working with pen and table device instead of mouse?
          • According the the Device Manager/Display Adapters/ how many video cards/graphics cards does your computer use? Are the cards' driver

versions up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the care or HP?

• The Adobe specifications are minimum which will get the program installed. Please give a description of your computer resources.

Let us start here and then decide what next. If any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere 13 closes after open.
            larrya6806783 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. First the correct version of Windows is 8.1. Sorry, that was a typo. System is using an Intel i3 at 2.4 GHz, 64 bit, 6GB Ram, Intel Graphics HD 4000. Using a mouse, not pen and table.   Searched Microsoft for any updates, installed all available. Adobe suggest copy Premiere to hard disc as a solution. Did uninstall of Premiere from computer. Copied Premiere to hard drive and re-installed program. Showed successful install. Same result except do not get to point of import a video clip. From the requirements list verified all I could except Microsoft DirectX 9 or 10 compatible sound and display driver. Can't find it but supposed to be included in Windows 8. Any help is appreciated.

• 3. Re: Premiere 13 closes after open.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

larrya

Originally what you wrote included

Tried Windows trouble shoot, Premiere opened, imported a video clip, then in a few minutes, same problem, program gives same message and closed.

I read that as I indicated and asked .

Since you say that Premiere Elements 13 is opening, allowing you to import your video clip, and then your program shutdown occurs, let us begin with

Do you want to clarify what you wrote? If not, then knowing the properties of that video file would be important since, according to what you wrote, the problem

started after import of the video clip.

But, if your problems start even before importing a video clip, then let us move on...

Did you install Premiere Elements 13 to the default location on Local Disk C?

Did you find the Windows 8.1 Device Manager/Display Adapters, and see what was named there for the video cards/graphics card that the computer uses.

Sometimes a computer can use more than 1 card. This can be a problem for Premiere Elements. So, we need to know the situation so that we can rule this

factor in or out.

Control Panel (Windows Key+X to bring up list which includes the following path to click through to get to the card(s) information.

Hardware and Sound

Devices and Printers

Device Manager

Display Adapters

then your card's name

then view card's properties

Let us rule in or out the above factors and then we proceed according to your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere 13 closes after open.
                larrya6806783 Level 1

I think I have found a problem. Using Norton security. Norton says Adobe Premiere 13 is a Trusted File. To be sure I went to Icon on desktop, right clicked the Icon, click Norton File Insight. Marked the file as a User Trusted File. Premiere Elements now is fully functional, open, close, import file, make movie, save, etc. Problem was Norton, but neither program indicated what was the problem. Also note, there was no problem to use Photoshop, without any extra action with Norton.

• 5. Re: Premiere 13 closes after open.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

larrya

Great news. And, great job on the follow through on the suggestions to get to the core of your issue.

Your follow up information on what worked for you is important to all and appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...

I did not see your post 4 until after I had posted my post 3.