2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2007 11:05 AM by bobk1

how to change panel title

bobk1 Level 1
      I have a master/detail view based on code generated by the ColdFusion Application wizard. When a user selects a record in the top panel, the details get displayed in the bottom panel.

What I want to do is to have the title of the bottom panel dynamically display one of the fields in the record (the patient's name), i.e., whenever a different record is selected the panel title should change.

I tried giving the panel an ID (pendingDetailPanel). then referring to it in the file which contains the contents of the panel like this:

<mx:Script >
      <![CDATA[
      pendingDetailPanel.title="{this.detailObject.CURR_NAME}";
      ]]>
      </mx:Script>

But that gives me the following error:

1120: Access of undefined property pendingDetailPanel.

How should I go about it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: how to change panel title
          tspratt
          First, you cannot do assignments like that outside of a script. Get in the habit of doing all work inside of an initialize or creationComplete handler. Only declare instance (global) variables outside of a function

Next, you cannot use binding braces in AS.

What you want to do is have the select operation set the value of a bindable instance variable:

[Bindable] var _sPatientName:String = "";

private function onChangePatient(oEvent:Event):void {
          _sPatientName = oEvent.target.selectedItem.patientName;

And in the panel:
          <mx:Panel title="{_sPatientName }" .../>

Tracy

• 2. Re: how to change panel title
            bobk1 Level 1
            Thanks Tracy, that solved the problem. I'm just getting started with Flex - looks like there's a lot to learn:-)