6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 1:10 PM by Mark Oehlschlager

Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2

Mark Oehlschlager

I am running InDesign CS6 v. 8.0.2 on an iMac running OS X 10.10.1.

I cannot print thumbnails to my HP LaserJet 500 Color M551dn printer. Neither can I print thumbnails out to a postscript file. Instead, InDesign reports a postscript error.

Is there a known solution to this problem?

• 1. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does this happen with every file, or just one particular file?

What happens when you try to print thumbnails? What PostScript error do you get?

• 2. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2
            Mark Oehlschlager Level 1

This happens with every file.

Sometimes the print job appears to go out, but then nothing ends up in the print queue. Sometimes the failed print job results in an InDesign dialogue box that simply reads, "Postscript Error".

I'm hoping the forum community can respond with a solution. Adobe support offers no help.

• 3. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since HP uses their own PS "Emulator" to process the print job, you might have better luck with a printer that has real Adobe PS3.

• 4. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2
                Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Mark – with the right PPD installed you could print to PostScript. If you have Acrobat Distiller at hand, that requires an install of Acrobat Pro, you could distill that PostScript file to PDF and print that PDF from Acrobat Pro without using PostScript technology (if you have to).

Do the following:

Get the PPD file (PostScript Printer Description) Acrobat 9 PPD here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/save-as-pdf-options-not.html#main_InstallAcroPPD

If it is not already there, create a folder exactly named PPDs in the folder:

/Applications/Adobe Indesign CS6/Presets/

Put the PPD file inside.

Restart InDesign and use that PPD, now available in your print menu, to print to PostScript with Thumbnails enabled.

Then start Acrobat Distiller.app

Chose one of the presets for distilling PostScript to PDF you can find pre-installed there or change an existing one to your needs.

Acrobat Distiller.app should be present under:

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro/

or, if you installed Acrobat 10 Pro under:

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat X Pro/

Open the PostScript file in Distiller or drag it to Distiller. A PDF will be created.

Open that PDF in Adobe Reader or Acrobat Pro and print from there.

Note: There is an option for printing your PDF with pixels only under the "Advanced" tab of the print menu of Acrobat Pro (should be there with Adobe Reader as well): "Print As Image". Chose the right value for dpi resolution, might by 600 dpi.

That should work in every case.

Uwe

• 5. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2

Larry,

Even when I print to postscript using a Generic Postscript PPD, I get the error and am unable to print my thumbnails. Any further thoughts?

Mark

• 6. Re: Can't print thumbnails from ID CS6 v. 8.0.2

Uwe,

Thank you for your detailed response.

I've followed your directions precisely. The Acrobat 9.0 PPD does show in the print dialogue box when printing to postscript, and I am able to generate a postscript file. However, there are two problems here, now:

1) I am unable to check the box in the print dialogue to print visible guides and baseline grids.

2) The distilled postscript file yields a blank white PDF page.

Any thoughts?

In the meantime, I have found a work around that involves exporting a PDF from InDesign.

1) Export the document from InDesign as a PDF with the options for spreads and visible guides and grids checked.

2) Open the exported PDF in Acrobat Pro.

3) In the print dialogue box within Acrobat Pro, under the "Multiple" tab, I indicate the number of thumbnail images per sheet, and can check a box to print a page border around each thumbnail.

That gets me out of my jam, but I'm not happy that Adobe has not fixed the bug/error in the InDesign product, and that I am forced to seek out hacks and work arounds.

Anyway, thank you Uwe for your help.