7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 6:40 AM by Rick Gerard

HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?

dissidently Level 1

I do not mean the Transform of the Shape Layer, I mean to have snapping of the Transform of the path object (in this case a Rectangle) anchor point snap to... well, anything. Right now I can't get it to snap to anything.

• 1. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
          ti.s.cavalcanti Level 1

Hold Down Control/Comand + click and drag, near the corner you want to snapping.

Snapping it is selected?

snap.png

• 2. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
            dissidently Level 1

Did you read the question? This works for the LAYER transform anchor point, not the thing I'm asking for, which is the anchor point of the Contents.

• 3. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
              ti.s.cavalcanti Level 1

Good question,

I've tried many ways, I unable not, but I will not give up.

• 4. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Snapping will work with a footage layer's edges or a solid layer's edges, and it will work on a Shape Layer's anchor point but not a Shape Anchor point. There are 2 anchor points on a shape layer. One for the layer that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 4.30.28 PM.png

The anchor point on the shape looks like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 4.30.37 PM.png

If you need to manipulate the shape's anchor point I suggest you do it mathematically with the Shape Transform properties(in this case Rectangle 1).

Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 4.32.29 PM.png

• 6. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
                  dissidently Level 1

Rick, why spend ages explaining what can be done with something irrelevant to the question, when the question is very simple.

QUESTION:

How can snapping be turned on for the anchor of contents within a Shape Layer?

The answer is...

There is no way to snap the anchor of an object in a shape layer to ANYTHING.

So don't bother trying to find out how to turn it on, play with modifier keys or otherwise go insane trying to find documentation that actually pertains to this information in ANY WAY.

The amount of time I wasted trying to find if this was possible is an embarrassment to the documentation writers and marketers of Adobe's products.

//This is the transform and its anchor that exists above the actual Layer's transform and Anchor. NOT the Shape Layer's anchor, which does snap, but is next to useless for object oriented snapping requirements for the anchor and position of the actual objects drawn on the Shape Layer. It's as though the Shape Layer is really a Solid Layer with some additional, halfarsed drawing features. Good luck differentiating between these two things with search results using the world's best search engine. It's a complete mindFart of epic proportions that finds such terrible ways to name these things that there's no easier way to refer to the differences in these transforms.

You cannot snap the anchor of content in a Shape Layer to a grid, guide, edge, object, point or anything else.

It cannot be done. That's the only answer to this question.

This despite there being a specific tool for moving this anchor point.

This despite Adobe bragging about snapping being a big new (recent) feature.

Rick, why do you defend Adobe? They are an enormous company with thousands of employees and billions of $ in profits and assets. They don't need you to obfuscate shortcomings in their software.

How hard is it to say that Adobe's software can't do something?

You know why Adobe annoy people, because we waste so much time finding what it can't do, because the marketers AND the community are in denial about deficiencies and the constant need for thinking in terms of "work arounds".

Just be honest about shortcomings and deficiencies and it will not only save everyone a bunch of time, but actually endear them to you.

• 7. Re: HowTo: Turn on snapping for Anchor Point of Rectangle's Transform?
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't get so mad at me... Not defending Adobe, just telling you that the anchor point of a shape element in a shape layer does not snap to anything. Adobe never claimed that snapping worked that way. If you want that feature, submit a feature request. The work around is to do it manually or set up a guide. I've never seen any software from any manufacturer that did exactly everything that I wanted to do, but I've seen Adobe and other companies respond to user requests for features over time. Carefully read the documentation on snapping and you will find no mention of the feature you are requesting.