4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 9:39 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13 poor picture quality

Ratski

Hi Folks

I recently bought Premier Elements 13 as a Christmas present for myself. I decided I wanted a stable program that would produce good quality video, and I was prepared to pay for it.

However, my first couple of videos have been disappointing.

I have Elements installed on my Windows (7)  PC.

I use MP4 video files from my camera which play well on my PC.

However once imported into PE13, the video files lose picture quality, and the final edited product looks awful. I have tried publishing as MPEG, AVI and MP4 with the same poor results.

I guess I must be doing something wrong as I thought PE13 was supposed to be good!

Any advice (in very basic language) would be gratefully received.

Thanks very much

Adrian

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13 poor picture quality
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

Start with the links about how to set up a project to match your video

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13 poor picture quality
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Ratski

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that is recording your .mp4 videos?

After you import your .mp4 video into Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit), are you

letting the project automatically set the project preset based on the properties of the first file dragged to its Expert workspace

Timeline or its Quick workspace Filmstrip?

Whatever the case, please tell us the reading for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio that you find under

Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (even if the fields look grayed out).

The above information would help us to customize troubleshooting strategy for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13 poor picture quality
              Ratski Level 1

Gents

Thank you very much for your responses.

John, I didn't see anything in you post directly relating to me, but thanks anyway.

A.T, The camera I have been using is my Samsung Galaxy mobile phone, and also my Sony Cybershot digital camera, both of which use MP4.

Yes my PC is 64bit.

I was using the Quick mode in the PE program. I guess I was letting the project set the "project preset", as I did not make any adjustments.

BREAKING NEWS

I thought I had tried saving the final video as MP4, but apparently I didn't! I just tried saving as an MP4 file, and it plays beautifuly. It doesn't really explain why it won't save properly in other formats... but it probably won't matter to me...

Thank you both very much again.

Regards

Adrian

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13 poor picture quality
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Adrian

Great news that you were able to produce an excellent .mp4 file with your Premiere Elements 13.

The keys to success are getting a match between the project preset and the properties of the source video (whether you do that manually or the project does it automatically).

The project will take over this task unless you intervene. Sometimes the project does it right, sometimes not...for the not, that is when you set the project preset manually.

You have to evaluate the description in the Publish+Share/ area in making your choices there. Some of the choices require customization of the preset under the Advanced Button/Video Tab/Audio Tab/Multiplexer Tab. That is because the default settings of a preset may be for a lower resolution than your source video. And, you can generate .mp4 under Publish+Share/Computer/Mobile Phones and Players as well as under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD.

The above is an assortment of miscellaneous information. If you decide to want to explore settings other than for .mp4, then we can discuss them in details when your

schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR.