10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 10:53 AM by JayemGee

InDesign 10 Won't Save

ShaneH Level 1

Has anyone else experienced this serious bug, where InDesign 2014 won't save, save-as or otherwise? I just lost 2 hours of work because of this.

Right before this begins, I notice that the cursor will not honor the selected tool, showing only the black arrow.

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 10.21.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 10.17.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2015-01-28 at 10.13.02 AM.png

• 1. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know the cause, but if the file is still open, try creating a new document, and using Move Pages from the pages pallet to move your work to the new document. Worth a try, at least.

• 2. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I see that an update is waiting for you, install it. Often updates are resolving problems.

• 3. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
              ShaneH Level 1

Can't save — AGAIN! This is a pretty serious bug. Is nobody else out there experiencing this? Notice there is no option to Save, Save as, Save a Copy, or otherwise.

I only have these types of problems with Adobe software — nothing else.

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 10.15.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-01-29 at 10.24.54 AM.png

• 4. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                ShaneH Level 1

Also, if I try to move the contents to a new document, it succeeds at moving, but still won't save. It seems the application is bugging out.

Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 10.16.42 AM.png

• 5. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                  ShaneH Level 1

When this happens, there is absolutely no way to salvage the work. If I move the pages to another document, the new document won't save either. If I copy the contents, relaunch the application, and save... it won't paste the items in the clipboard.

I recently ran the recommended Java update. This is the only thing that has changed on my system.

To what extent — if any — does Adobe software implement Java?

• 6. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                    ShaneH Level 1

The update was for the older version of InDesign, which I did install. Thanks for the advice, though.

• 7. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                      ShaneH Level 1

The new document would not save either, after successfully porting the pages over. It seems that the application becomes corrupt and I have to relaunch it to begin working again. But then the bug eventually rears its ugly head again.

• 8. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Export to IDML and open that to continue working.

• 9. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                          JayemGee

I am having the identical problem, and have seen other threads with it going back two years. My InDesign CC is updated, (2014.1 Release; 10.1.0.71 Build) and I'm using OS 10.9.5 (Mavericks).  There is only one plug-in (Cross References PRO) but the subscription fro this is not active.  

The problem appeared when I created a new document and pasted some text from Word into a text frame. 

Other symptoms:

If I open an existing document I can "Save As."

If I create another new document with no content, I can Save and Save As.  If I type in content, I can no longer do either.

If I save the new blank document with a filename, then type in content, I can no longer Save or Save As.

If I close the saved blank document, then open, I can Save As again.  If I type in content, I can no longer Save or Save As.

Next step:  quit inDesign, remove plug-in and restart.  But this is baffling, and apparently a long-standing issue.  Does anyone at Adobe have a clue yet?

• 10. Re: InDesign 10 Won't Save
                            JayemGee Level 1

Well, ok.  I updated to CC2015 and went through the whole thing again.  All good so far.  Let's hope.  *Sigh*