2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 7:37 AM by BKBK

Error occurred while generating PDF. Reason: ERROR_PDF_CONVERSION

timmaayyb Level 1

I get an error generating my PDF whenever someone's name has a special character's in their name such as accents and diacritics.

Is this a bug or how do I properly set the charset for the <cfhtmltopdf> tag. I didn't have this issue with Coldfusion 9 and cfdocument. Any help in this regard would be much appreciated.

version: Coldfusion 11 Update 3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 on IIS 7.5

SEE STACK TRACE BELOW

coldfusion.document.webkit.PDFgErrorHandler$ServiceManagerConversionException: Error occurred while generating PDF. at coldfusion.document.webkit.PDFgErrorHandler.handleConversionError(PDFgErrorHandler.java:1 88) at coldfusion.document.webkit.HttpPDFRequestHandler.requestPDFGeneration(HttpPDFRequestHandl er.java:113) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.HtmlToPdfTag.processPDFgRequest(HtmlToPdfTag.java:1331) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.HtmlToPdfTag.handlePDFgConversionRequest(HtmlToPdfTag.java:1466) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.HtmlToPdfTag.convertToPDF(HtmlToPdfTag.java:1413) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.HtmlToPdfTag.doEndTag(HtmlToPdfTag.java:1551) at cfcfhtmltopdf_createPDF2ecfm2090701148.runPage(c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp.com\includes\docs \cfhtmltopdf_createPDF.cfm:25) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:246) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.handlePageInvoke(IncludeTag.java:736) at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:572) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTcfTag(CfJspPage.java:2986) at cfmethods2ecfm1148258034$funcSAVEPROXY.runFunction(c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp.com\cfc\docs\ methods.cfm:472) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:487) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ReturnTypeFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:420) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:383) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:95) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:334) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:533) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:648) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:457) at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._invoke(CfJspPage.java:2424) at cfmethods2ecfm1658643382$funcPROCESSSTEP.runFunction(c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp.com\cfc\mem berResults\methods.cfm:377) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:487) at coldfusion.filter.SilentFilter.invoke(SilentFilter.java:47) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$ArgumentCollectionFilter.invoke(UDFMethod.java:383) at coldfusion.filter.FunctionAccessFilter.invoke(FunctionAccessFilter.java:95) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.runFilterChain(UDFMethod.java:334) at coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod.invoke(UDFMethod.java:533) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:648) at coldfusion.runtime.TemplateProxy.invoke(TemplateProxy.java:457) at coldfusion.filter.ComponentFilter.invoke(ComponentFilter.java:251) at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:480) at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:42) at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40) at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:142) at coldfusion.filter.LicenseFilter.invoke(LicenseFilter.java:30) at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:94) at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:2 8) at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:58) at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38) at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22) at coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCServlet.invoke(CFCServlet.java:156) at coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCServlet.doPost(CFCServlet.java:348) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:646) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727) at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.j ava:303) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42 ) at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.j ava:241) at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:208) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:220) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:122) at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:501) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171) at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:116) at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:422) at org.apache.coyote.ajp.AjpProcessor.process(AjpProcessor.java:199) at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.jav a:607) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:314) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• 1. Re: Error occurred while generating PDF. Reason: ERROR_PDF_CONVERSION
          timmaayyb Level 1

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried:

1. adding charset meta tags to the top of my outputted HTML contents that comprise the PDF
          2. I've tried adding the <cfprocessingdirective pageencoding="utf-8" /> but doesn't seem to help.
          3. #encodeForHTML(pdfHTMLVariable)# and even just tried encoding the individual variables that contained the special characters but that didn't seem to help anything as encoding them still won't work I'm assuming if the Charset is mis-matched.

Does the <cfprocessingdirective pageencoding="utf-8"> just have to be within the CFC method or does it need to be within the <cfhtmltopdf> tag?

Any input or things to try would be much appreciated as this is a regression for our app.

**As a side note: I would still just use CFDOCUMENT, but there was a different issue where the images were outputting a RED X where the image is supposed to be. Which from what I have been able to uncover has something to do with the server certificate not being trusted or something. However, our SSL provider is listed in the ROOT Certificate Authorities so not sure what's going on with that. Those images were being output with cfimage action of writeToBrowser .

I'd really like to fix the encoding issue does this have anything to do with language packs or missing languages of that sort? My app displays the page just fine when the UTF-8 charset meta tag is set.

• 2. Re: Error occurred while generating PDF. Reason: ERROR_PDF_CONVERSION
            BKBK Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could you show us the code or a sketch of the relevant part? The following test code, which I lifted straight out of the official cfhtmltopdf documentation, works as expected.

<cfhtmltopdf

name="façade"

destination="usage_example.pdf" overwrite="yes"

source="http://www.google.com/"

unit="in" pageheight="8" pagewidth="4"

pagetype="custom" />

done.

I, too, am on ColdFusion 11 Update 3.