3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 1:22 PM by ECBowen

Which HDD interface for which drives?

rsonnen

Hello,

I have read Harm's and others' excellent advice on drive configuration, but am not sure about which drives to put on which interfaces.  Assuming an X99 motherboard has 2 M.2 PCIE sockets, 1 SATA Express port, 1 SATA Express controller with 1 port, 8 SATA 6 GBs, and possibly a PCT RAID card.  Which of these connectors would you use for which drive, and why?  (I suppose another way to ask this might be which hdd uses benefit the most from increased speed--OS, application, pagefile, media, etc?)

Also, closely related, one thing I cannot discern from what I have read so far is where lies the point of diminishing returns. For a system used for a mix of Premiere/Photoshop/AE, using as HaswellE, 32Gb, and say a 980, how many drives and how much drive throughput is required to prevent HDD from being a significant bottleneck?

Thanks for any thoughts!!

• 1. Re: Which HDD interface for which drives?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The media used decides the HDD requirements. Figure out which media used has the highest bit rate and base the HDD config from that. M.2 ports are not fully utilized yet. Once you start seeing the 10Gbs M.2 drives then you will see the advantage of those ports.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Which HDD interface for which drives?
            rsonnen Level 1

Eric,

Thanks!  Good point.  (My highest normal requirement is AVCHD, and I do not plan to embrace 4K in the near future) how about the other half of my question--assuming you are building from scratch and can put drives on each port that will maximize throughput, which drive/port would you use for which purpose?

• 3. Re: Which HDD interface for which drives?
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Normally PCI-E slots are a premium for editing systems and config options so I don't recommend wasting those on NVMe drives or adapter cards. I would suggest the Sata ports for storage usage and a SSD OS drive for sure. A SSD cache drive is a good idea as well provided it's big enough. Normally you want a 256GB Cache drive if so.

Eric

ADK