5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 2:49 PM by A.T. Romano

NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue

trillium68 Level 1

When I output my project in this format, I notice a slight flickering (vibration?) at the top & bottom of the screen. Any ideas as to how to resolve would be most appreciated!

• 1. Re: NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue
          A.T. Romano Level 7

trillium68

What version Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What did you (manually) or the project (automatically) set as the project preset to match the properties of your source media?

Did you see any of this flickering/vibration in the playback of the rendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor before you went to export?

What are you doing an export to file or a burn to disc (with NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset)?

ATR

• 2. Re: NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue
            trillium68 Level 1

1. Elements 13 / Windows 7

2. Automatic Preset

3. No flickering/vibration before export

4. Export to file

• 3. Re: NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue
              A.T. Romano Level 7

trillium

Thanks for the reply. Let me see if I can put the details together to get a solution to your issue.

1. Explore a possible "field order" issue where your source is interlaced (with field order Upper Field First) and

your export is also an interlaced file but with field order Lower Field First....let us determine if this flicker/vibration is an interlaced issue

a. what are the properties of your source video

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

if you are not sure, maybe we can get that information from the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded the video.

if progressive, then we will rule this out since progressive video does not have fields (upper or lower).

2. Knowing what project preset the program set automatically based on its analysis of the properties of the first video dragged to

the Timeline....

a. See what the readings are for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ration under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

3. There are Flicker Removal and Anti-Flicker Filter options before export. But, if you did not see the flicker then, you probably did not

apply these options at the Timeline level. When you did the export to file what choices did you make...Publish+Share/Computer/and then what to get

to the NTSC Widescreen file? From what you wrote same flicker with export to file or burn to disc. Is that correct?

Please review and consider, and then we will move forward based on your details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue
                trillium68 Level 1

Thanks much for your informative response! The problem was resolved when I chose another output format; specifically AVCH You Tube Widescreen SD.

• 5. Re: NTSC DVD Widescreen Output Issue
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

trillium68

Thanks for the follow up with the wonderful news that your project problem was resolved.

It is important to match video properties, projects settings, and export settings. Without more information we cannot know

what happened. The solution that you cited suggests the problem could have happened because of mismatch on settings.

We would be glad for the opportunity to discuss project settings (import and export) at any time.

But we are pleased to learn that you are now moving ahead with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR