8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 1:21 PM by guitar uk

PDF boxes

craigc47065221

Working on a new Mac 10.9.5 and new InDesign CS6. Attempting to export document at PDF. Document contains music placed in it as eps. Little boxes replace the lyrics and text in the music. Never had this problem with the old InDesign. Help! Thanks. Craig

• 1. Re: PDF boxes
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Craig – what exact version of CS6 do you use. The most recent one is CS6 v8.1.0.

What means "the old InDesign"? Did you upgrade OSX as well?

Uwe

• 2. Re: PDF boxes
            MW Design Level 4

It sounds like the EPS files do not include the fonts, and perhaps the font encoding is not mapping to the proper glyphs for the font used...assuming you do have the proper fonts installed. Or, that the font does not include the correct embedding permissions.

Mike

• 3. Re: PDF boxes
              craigc47065221 Level 1

InDesign CS6 8.0. Yes I upgraded to this from a previous version. OSX is new too.

• 4. Re: PDF boxes
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think the problem is caused by the EPS. Normally you should never use EPS, but I think it comes from a notation program. Create a new EPS with embedded font or better a PDF with embedded font.

Where does the EPS come from? How is it created? Are alternatives possible?

• 5. Re: PDF boxes
                  craigc47065221 Level 1

I did thousands of these in my previous version of InDesign. Never had a problem. Font is just Times New Roman which is installed.

• 6. Re: PDF boxes
                    Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Craig – do you have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed?

If yes, you could use the Adobe Distiller.app to convert a PDF out of this particular EPS file.

Then you could preflight with Acrobat Pro or check under "Document Properties / Fonts" in Acrobat Pro what's going on with the fonts…

Uwe

• 7. Re: PDF boxes
                      MW Design Level 4

Can you share an EPS file?

All the music publishing I have done do often have TNR in them, but for the actual notation there is a different font used. Some of the EPS files I get don't have the font embedded and so cannot convert properly to a PDF without it. Others work fine when the font is embedded. Often times the EPS files come out of MuseScore, and so use the font (or a variant) as per the screen shot below from a PDF.

capture-002619.png

• 8. Re: PDF boxes
                        guitar uk

I have used EPS files placed within InDesign though a pop up box appears sometimes about compatibility with printers so another option I have used is to open the EPS with Illustrator and save as an .ai file to place within InDesign

I am not sure if this will solve the problem with the fonts but it may be of use