6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2006 1:33 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can you put objects on top of movies.

dee_shaa
      The submission date is closing in and I am stuck! Is it possible to place buttons on graphics on top of a quicktime movie in Director. I have an actor pointing to the left and I want a button to appear. The right and again another button! My video is pretty much full screen so have nowhere else to but the buttons. I could of course make the movie smaller. But it would look bad on my project.
        • 1. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
          Level 7
          An impractical solution is to uncheck the direct to stage (DTS) property
          of the quicktime member, this makes the QT recognize the score layering
          at the cost of increases the rendering overhead, your full screen video
          would probably slow to an unacceptable rate.

An alternative is to assign a mask to the quicktime member using lingo,
          which effetively cuts a hole in it through which the button can show, as
          long as the QT sprite has no script, mouse clicks should pass right
          through.

There may be a flash each time you change the mask property of the
          member. IT's a 1 bit mask, so the edges are a big jaggy.
          • 2. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
            dee_shaa Level 1
            Thanks very much that was great advice. I'll be honest though your instructions although clear, where a little over my head! Is there a resource you know of that could discribe this in a little more detail, even tutorials etc?
            • 3. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
              Level 7
              On Fri, 05 May 2006 21:57:45 GMT, dee_shaa posted in
              macromedia.director.basics:

> Thanks very much that was great advice. I'll be honest though your
              > instructions although clear, where a little over my head! Is there a
              > resource you know of that could discribe this in a little more detail,
              > even tutorials etc?

Hit F1 and search for Direct to stage.

Go to the Director Support site (you're nearly there now) and search.

Search the LiveDocs.

It's been asked zillions of times in here and in the .lingo forum. Search
              these forums for DTS.

Or, an easier search engine for these newsgroups can be found at
              http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
              Search for answers to your questions there with macromedia.director.* in the
              "Group" field.

This information is all over the place. Seek and ye shall find.

--
              Mark A. Boyd
              Keep-On-Learnin'
              • 4. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
                dee_shaa Level 1
                Thanks very much, that was exactly what I was looking for as it can be hard to find information when you don't know the term to search for.

Thanks again
                • 5. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
                  Level 7
                  On Sat, 06 May 2006 09:15:01 GMT, dee_shaa posted in
                  macromedia.director.basics:

> Thanks very much, that was exactly what I was looking for as it can be
                  > hard to find information when you don't know the term to search for.

Yea, Direct to Stage (DTS) isn't all that obvious. There's more info in the
                  docs under ditigital video and/or quicktime that might cover JB's mention of
                  masks.

--
                  Mark A. Boyd
                  Keep-On-Learnin'
                  • 6. Re: Can you put objects on top of movies.
                    Level 7
                    As well as the mask suggestion, you could use Movies in a Window (MIAWs)
                    to serve as your buttons.