9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2007 1:20 PM by thismarty

Shockwave3D Game

thismarty Level 1
      Hi, everyone. I just finished my latest Shockwave3D game and uploaded it to Kongregate.com at http://www.kongregate.com/games/gigaplay/microbop . Any feedback or bug reports would be appreciated. Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Shockwave3D Game
          _lw Level 1
          Nice game, moving on the surface works really nice. The whole menu is well done.

I have a littel quistion about the "antialias" button, it can be switched from "alias" to "antialias" but i have the feeling it does not work? Can you tell how it should work?

Had not the time to test for very long, but i will come back to test it again. By the way, the grafical style is very cool.

• 2. Re: Shockwave3D Game
            thismarty Level 1
            Thanks, Hondo3000!

The alias-antialias featre doesn't work on all computers. And, given its signficant added processing demands, I'm not sure I should have even put it in there at all.
            • 3. Re: Shockwave3D Game
              Necromanthus Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: MartyPlumbo
              http://www.kongregate.com/games/gigaplay/microbop

Well done Marty!

quote:

Originally posted by: MartyPlumbo
              The alias-antialias featre doesn't work on all computers. And, given its signficant added processing demands, I'm not sure I should have even put it in there at all.

Indeed.
              But leave it there and just wait for Director 11. Never knows ...

cheers

• 4. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                Level 7
                Hi MartyPlumbo :)

Very nice idea, I love being able to traverse both sides of the disc with
                the hoover rather than just dropping off, a nice surprise.

Need to mention I was playing the antibiotic tutorial screen, hit 'm' to
                return to menu and I got a shockwave player error.

Could you have a cool suction slurp sound effect when you guzzle bacteria?

I'll play more later.

Thanks for posting!

Richard Smith

• 5. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                  thismarty Level 1
                  Necro: Thanks for the compliment! Yes, Director 11 sure does sound exciting, doesn't it. I just hope there are still a few of us still around when it finally gets here. ;-)

Richard: Thanks for your kind words s well! I just realized I left a MUIDialog call in there, which bombs SW. Drat! I'll fix that. In the meantime, feel free to get the (MUI-friendly) stand-alone version at www.gigaplay.com/microbop.
                  • 6. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                    danieloizo
                    hi,

Very nice game :D, i like the graphic style and on my office PC (PIII 600 MHz 512 SDRAM GFX5200) it works just fine.

But i think there are some problems with the antialias-switch ( it changes from alias to antialias but nothing changes in the graphic), And i can't turn off the sound, I clicked and clicked on the "sound:on " button and nothing happens, unlike the alias button , it dosen't switch from on to off.

else all looks fine to me :), good work!

Daniel.
                    • 7. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                      thismarty Level 1
                      Thanks, Danieloizo! I never wired the sound button, so it shouldn't work. The anti-aliasing feature is best to always leave off anyway.
                      • 8. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                        _eyesonly
                        Cool game, but a little slow paced I think. Are there any speed powerups? Are you using the SDS modifier on say the bean level model? The reason I ask is that the texture is noticeably jagged, this could possibly be fixed by setting the scene.model(x).sds.tension=100
                        • 9. Re: Shockwave3D Game
                          thismarty Level 1
                          Thanks, Eyesonly! The pacing is a bit lame, admittedly. I had to make a lot of gameplay concessions to the lack of performance I was able to get out of SW. Ultimately, what I ended up with is more of an experiment than a full-fledged game, for me at least. The models are all basic primitives warped all to heck with modifiers in Max to get a Nurbs-y look without lots of polys. Textures were almost an afterthought - maybe 10 minutes work each, using projection maps or tiling in most cases. I think there's only one UVW Map level in there. Thanks for the tip!