26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 8:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Converting .prel to post on YouTube

granolakid

I have Premiere Elements 11 which I use on a Mac.  I have permission to upload a video longer than 15 minutes to YouTube.  I tried using publish and share, but YouTube rejected it. 

How do I convert .prel to an acceptable format to YouTube?  Which format is recommended?  My end goal once the project is uploaded to YouTube is to put it on website that I administer.

Just a note:  The export feature in the file section is greyed out.

I would appreciate it someone would share the steps that I need to follow to get to where I need to be.

Thanks.

barb

• 1. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Look at publish/share in The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 to learn how to save an edited video file to your hard disk

For WHAT to save, read YouTube Exporting http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1451877?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
            A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

The YouTube feature within Premiere Elements 11 has limits of 2.00 GB file size/15 min 0.00 sec.

If your Timeline content for YouTube goes over that limit, you have to export your Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive and from there

upload it to YouTube at the YouTube web site with one of its extended time accounts. Those YouTube extended accounts are usable only at YouTube web site.

They cannot be used in the YouTube feature with Premiere Elements (any version).

For now I am assuming that you have a 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second Premiere Elements project. (If other, let me know what your project preset is and

I will fine tune the how to.) But for now in this example...

1. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD. Set Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30. Export that file to your computer hard drive.

2. Upload that file from your computer to YouTube at the YouTube web site. To do that, open to YouTube web page, sign in to your extended account, and click on

the Upload button there. Then browse to and select your AVCHD.mp4 that you had just saved to the computer hard drive.

3. Follow YouTube web site instructions from there on to the finish.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information and let us know the outcome. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR

• 3. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
              granolakid Level 1

Hello AT,

I followed your instructions. Although I was able to convert the (1 hour 10 min 37 sec) .prel to an mp4. 275 GB.  When I go to play it, the first interview is okay.  The second interview-the video freezes part of the way through, the audio disappears, but the clock keeps counting.   I am unable to fast forward it.  The time on the right side of the bar reads -1:37:10 when it begins.  If I try to fast forward it, when I reach the right side of the video the clock reads all zeros.  I assume that it converted the project but I have no idea what is wrong.

Suggestions, please.  Thanks.

barb

• 4. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

That file is huge - 275 GB?

What player are you using for your Premiere Elements .mp4 export?

Please go to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with your preset = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30. Click on the Advanced Button and then the Video Tab.

Scroll down the Video Tab fields until you get to bitrate. What does it show for Target Bitrate and Maximum Bitrate.

Also, please confirm your numbers for the export details

275 GB

1 hour 10 minutes 37 second

Have you ever worked with a project this size before and played it back on your player?

To be continued

ATR

• 5. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                  granolakid Level 1

I errored. I apologize.  The project is 2.75 GB.

This is the first time I am exporting anything to YouTube.

My previous video is 47 minutes.

What player are you using for your Premiere Elements .mp4 export?

I don't know what player I am using.  Where do I find this information? 

I looked through applications, I have Flash Player. and Quick Time Player.  But I still don't know how to answer your question.

Bitrate Settings

160 is checked in the pulldown menu

When I pull down the menu the minimum number is 16  Maximum 320

Thanks. 

barb

• 6. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                    granolakid Level 1

The video is 1 hour 10 minutes 37 second

barb

• 7. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

Are you using a YouTube extended time account for the upload of your video. Please read the details in the following link

Upload videos longer than 15 minutes - YouTube Help

Since you mention that this is the first time that you are using YouTube, let me check that detail with you.

Previously I wrote

The YouTube feature within Premiere Elements 11 has limits of 2.00 GB file size/15 min 0.00 sec.

It is my understanding that is the same situation at YouTube if you take the Premiere Elements export to file saved to the computer hard drive

and then try to upload that file to YouTube at the YouTube web site using a regular YouTube account. But, YouTube does offer an extended time account

instead of the regular YouTube account to be used there for the video whose file size and duration are greater than 2.00 GB and 15 min 0.00 sec.

Premiere Elements built in YouTube feature will not allow you to use a YouTube extended time account.

Please confirm your account details and then we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                        granolakid Level 1

I am using the extended time on YouTube.  I never logged off of my account so I go right to the uploads page.

My project is 2.75 GB  1/37/10sec

Even with the extended time, YouTube would not permit me to upload directly from the project since it doesn't accept .prel. So I followed your instructions and downloaded/uploaded to my computer, but as I noted in a previous reply it is not right.

Thanks for your help.

barb

• 9. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

According to the YouTube extended time account document (link already provided), your Premiere Elements file (AVCHD.mp4 2.75 GB and 1 hour 32 minutes 10 seconds) should be within the limits of the YouTube extended time account limit which is given in that document as 128 GB/11 hours.

The Premiere Elements export to file Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 is a common and high quality file for the upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

So, we have two requirements for your upload meet - within the YouTube limits and a YouTube supported file format.

You can explore other Premiere Elements export settings if you want

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD

(using the default that will give you AVCHD.mp4 1280 x 720 instead of 1920 x 1080.

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV 16:9

and then customizing that preset to an H.264.movie file under the preset's Advanced Button/Video Tab

After you click on Advanced Button and then Video Tab, the settings under the Video Tab should look like

barb.JPG

Scroll down to the bottom of these export settings to place a check mark next to "Limit data rate to" and type in 12000 next to the kbps.

At this point, I do not believe the flaw is in the format of the Premiere Elements file that you are trying to upload. I suspect it is on the YouTube side and the account

setup there. Have you said if YouTube is giving an explanation for why it is rejecting this file upload?

We will be watching for your progress. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                            granolakid Level 1

This is the YouTube site where 11 minutes of the interviews uploaded to.  It took  hours to accomplish this small amount.

Legislative Hearings New York Health Bill Syracuse/Albany - Interviews - YouTube

barb

• 11. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                              granolakid Level 1

YouTube did not reject the mp4 upload, but it only loaded 11 min 22 sec and part of it froze.  But it showed that it had uploaded the 1 hour 37 min 10 sec.

Should I get rid of the mp4 that I downloaded from my project and start from scratch with your new instructions?  How long should I anticipate this taking to upload to YouTube to determine if it is going how it should go?  It rejected the .prel.  It did not reject the mp4.  It acted as if it was uploading the whole video, but when I looked it on YouTube that was published, there are only 11:22 online with part of it frozen with the clock continuing to run the full amount of the video.

Thanks.

barb

• 12. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                granolakid Level 1

I chose export in publish and share and then selected quicktime.  Under output I have 1620 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1080. Do I need to change this?The rest is the same as yours.

Under source I have clip, sequence 01, 29.97 fps, upper, 01:37:10; 04  48,000 HZ Stereo.  In that section.

Thanks.

barb

• 13. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

You do not want to use the resolution of 1620 x 1080. You want 1920 x 1080.

Did you try to enter 1920 x 1080 and got forced into 1620 x 1080? If so, look to the right of the fields for Frame Width and Frame Height. Do you see a small box there?

And, if so, is there a chain link inside it? If so, click on that link in the box to remove that chain. Then type in the 1920 for Frame Width and 1080 for Frame Height.

Please let us know if your settings are all then as suggested for a H.264.mov file 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second with a bitrate of 12000 kbps.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                    granolakid Level 1

I chose export in publish and share and then selected quicktime.  Under output I have 1620 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1080. It keeps reverting back to 1920 x 1080.  The rest is the same as yours.

Under source I have clip, sequence 01, 29.97 fps, upper, 01:37:10; 04  48,000 HZ Stereo.  In that section.

Thanks.

barb

• 15. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                      granolakid Level 1

I am getting a bit rate of 1000 kbps.  It is grayed out.  I followed your instructions for the 1920 and it is fine now.

barb

• 16. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                        granolakid Level 1

Sorry I forgot to change the bit rate setting.  I am a bit overwhelmed.  I have it on 12,000 kbps now.

Is there anything I have to do to the audio?

Should I delete the mp4 from my documents and replace with the one I am going to download.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT YOU GUYS.  YOU ARE SO PATIENT AND ENCOURAGING.  YOU NEVER MAKE ME FEEL FOOLISH.

BARB

• 17. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

Thanks for the details.

Just to recap...the Premiere Elements project file (prel) route is not going to work when you try to use the built in Premiere Elements feature because the project file's content exceeds 2.00 GB and 15 seconds.

From what you wrote, YouTube and its extended account is allowing upload of file (AVCHD.mp4) that is coming from Premiere Elements but is uploading only 11 minutes of the approximately 1 hour upload. I suspect again that this is a YouTube extended account issue. But let us explore that.

1. QuickTime instead of AVCHD as the Publish+Share/Computer/choice.

a. Unless you are compromising your computer resources, leave the .mp4 version in your documents in case we need that again.

b. If you have all the settings as I have posted them (1920 x 1080 and all), then create your H.264.mov file that will be saved to your hard drive

and upload that to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Then let us know if you can upload and view the whole upload.

If that does not work, then we need to dig deeper into file format and YouTube web site problems.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                            granolakid Level 1

Hello,

QuickTime doesn't come up on my publish and share under computer.  If I work with AVCHD 1920 x 1080, I don't know what p value to choose.

Format setting  H. 264

Multiplexor

Video Settings:

Codec  Main Concept H. 264

TV Standard NTSC

Frame Width  1920

Height   1080

Frame Rate?

Field Order is grayed out

Pixel Aspect?

Profile?

Level?

Bitrate Settings

Don't know what to choose under this heading

Advanced Settings?

Do I need to set the Audio?

Estimated file size is 16244

Do you need the summary?

Thanks again.

barb

• 19. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

You should have QuickTime choice under Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime. There is a list of several choices under Computer. Several are not seen because they are at the bottom of the list. To see the ones toward the bottom of the list use the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices to scroll down the list until you reach QuickTime. Do you see it now? Many think there are only 3 choices under Publish+Share/Computer/ because they are not using that scroll bar.

As for going back to the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD route, you should be using Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30. You should not have to customize the settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab. The default settings will do fine. But, it is my understanding that choice is where you started from and ended up with 11 minutes instead of about 1 hours viewing at YouTube.

It might have been the YouTube was having web site problems when you tried the AVCHD.mp4 file before. Try again today to see if anything has changed from before and, if now, YouTube displays your whole video.

Looking forward to learning of your results.

ATR

• 20. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                granolakid Level 1

Hello AT,

I successfully downloaded the project to Quicktime and took a quick run through it.  Everything looks intact.  I am currently uploading the 7.15 GB file to YouTube.  It is currently at 41%.  It has been uploading for about 7 hours.  Is this a normal frame of time?

Thanks.

barb

• 21. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

I have never done an upload to YouTube having to use the extended time account. But, I suspect that what your are encountering is heavily dependent on your

Internet upload speed, YouTube traffic, and network traffic in conjunction with the file size and duration of the upload (7.15 GB file and over an hour duration)

If those 7 hours represents just the uploading of the 7.15 GB file, you are probably in for another long wait for the YouTube processing that comes after

the upload.

Are all your uploads to YouTube going to be of this file size and duration?

Looking forward to your progress.

ATR

• 22. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                    granolakid Level 1

Are all your uploads to YouTube going to be of this file size and duration?

I don't the answer to that.  The film that I made is 47 minutes.  I have nothing else on the horizon right now.  I don't even know if I will put the 47 minute film on YouTube.  I may have someone help me create a website, then put it up there.

I will let you know when YouTube finally finishes.

Thanks again for all your help.

barb

• 23. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                      granolakid Level 1

Thanks so much to you.  My video is now on YouTube at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvhGxEbPKu1WWId_fqtfAsA

I don't know how I have done it without you.

With much appreciation.

barb

• 24. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

You did great. YouTube video looks good and complete.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                          granolakid Level 1

A. T.

Thank you so much for the compliments.  Thank you so much for your help.  I don't know what I would have done without you.  You are a knowledgeable, patient lot.  I am always learning from you.

Kind regards,

barb

• 26. Re: Converting .prel to post on YouTube
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

barb

Many thanks for your kind words. But, as I always say, you are the driver, and I am but the back seat driver.

I have observed your progress in the Adobe Forums. Looking good. Excellent quality video.

Best wishes.

ATR