3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 10:04 AM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 8 new install - all menu items grayed out

sf58561147

New install of premiere elements 8. Installed 8.0.1 patch successfully. Installed Quicktime.

SYSTEM

Windows 7 64-bit

Dell Inspiron 660

8 GB RAM

1 TB hard drive, 700 GB available after install

All menu items are greyed out except for File | New, Open, Exit and some Help menu items. Will create a project but then does nothing. Reopening the empty project results in Elements/Pro compatibility message. Unusable.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 new install - all menu items grayed out
          A.T. Romano Level 7

sf

Can you get into the Elements Organizer part of Premiere Elements 8/8.0.1? If so, go to Elements Organizer 9's Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options and

disable all the AutoAnalzyer options there. Does that have any impact on the situation?

Are you running the program with an Internet connection?

Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, then delete the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 8.0 Folder should be the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. And, if that does not work, delete the whole 8.0 folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives deleted so that you can see the complete path cited.

Did you install the program to the default Local Disk C location?

Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Are you running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of a mouse?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 new install - all menu items grayed out
            sf58561147 Level 1

Thank you ATR. I followed your sequence of checks. RESOLVED BY DISABLING PORTION OF AV FUNCTIONS BEFORE LAUNCHING APPLICATION.  Here are the steps.

I had not even tried Premiere Elements Organizer. When I did, it appeared to run fine and actually the AutoAnalyzer Options only appear under its Preferences menu, I later found out. Those options were then disabled with no change to the issue.

I removed and reinstalled the program with an internet connection and McAfee firewall and AV off. And then ran the program with an internet connection.  No change.

I deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file first, and then the whole 8.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. No change.

The program was installed in the default c: drive location so no change there.

The problem went away with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled!. I narrowed it down to what McAfee calls "Real-Time Scanning" under "Virus and Spyware Protection." The level of control McAfee LiveSafe-Internet Security affords under "Real-Time Scanning" is not very detailed. The setting that makes the difference is under "Scan These Files" is "Programs and documents only" instead of the default "All files (Recommended)."

Now going back upstream, I enabled the firewall fully. Firewall makes no difference if I shut it off globally or allow individual program exceptions...it still runs fine. I also enabled all the AutoAnalyzer Options and program still runs fine. Perhaps this is a rabbit trail for non-resource-limited systems.

Hopefully this helps others with the same problem.

sf

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 new install - all menu items grayed out
              A.T. Romano Level 7

sf

Thanks for the reply with the great news that your problem is resolved pointing to the McAfee antivirus as the cause of the problem.

It is interesting that in your case it was a matter of just disabling the McAfee (Real Time Protection) instead of uninstalling the whole software. Recently a user

reported that disabling did not work and that uninstall of the antivirus did resolve the issue.

A recent report seemed to indicate that McAfee controls antivirus and firewall(s) and the two cannot be separated. That did not seem to be

the case in your computer environment.

The important matter is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Great job.

Your follow up is appreciated by all.

ATR