7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 7:29 AM by Peter Spier

when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...

malch Level 1

Hi there,

I am reaping what I sowed—I think because I didn't correct some Master Page issues a few weeks ago, I'm now suffering some strange mojo when I try to add what I'll call my document pt. 2 to the end of my document pt. 1.  I figured out that, to keep the spreads in document 2 aligned, I simply had to add an extra page at the end of document 1... that seemed to work.  But many of the pages of document 2, when I've moved them to the end of document 1, have extra text on them.  On other pages, things that should be there are missing.

Do I need to do something like choose 'Override All Master Page Items' before moving my pages from document 2?

Thanks very much for any advice on this.

Malcolm

P.S.  whole separate question:  When I tried to backup (to Creative Cloud) my folder that has all my photos and logos and whatever else in it, I learned that you can't backup folders to CC.  You can backup only individual files.  Does this mean that I need to take all of these individual files out of my rather complex hierarchy of folders—all contained within my one big 'Book Project' folder—before I can upload them? 

That wrecks what is a very organized arrangement!

• 1. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't use Creative Cloud to back up that kind of project: It's much too immature. Use a more sophisticated cloud solution like Dropbox.

• 2. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
            malch Level 1

Yes... Dropbox a better solution.  I was just hoping that CC-backup would work because it's included with my CC subscription.

• 3. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
              malch Level 1

I've been trying different things, and I see that the problem is indeed that when I move pages from document 2 (where they're perfectly fine) to document 1, document 1 adds its Master Page text and whatever else on top of what's already on the pages, so they become unreadable.

Is there something I can do so this won't happen?  I've tried 'Overriding All Master Page Items' in document 2 before moving the pages over.  That didn't work—once moved over to document 1 the pages have all the extra text, etc.  So I then selected these pages in document 1  (after moving them over) and hitting the 'Override All Master Page Items' here in document 1.  No effect.

I'll keep experimenting, but I'm fearful of messing things up in such a way that I can't fix them.

Do I need to do something like select my Master Pages in document 1, and 'Override All Master Page Items' here?

Regards,

Malcolm

• 4. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
                malch Level 1

O.K., I think I solved the problem by getting rid of my Master A page elements in document 1.  The pages I'm moving over from document 2 were made using a Master B page, and when they were moved, they got the Master A elements plastered on top.

I think I'm now o.k.!

Regards, Malcolm

• 5. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The general principle in ID is that when you move things from doc to doc, things like styles, swatches and master pages that have identical names will use the definitions for those things that are in the destination doc. This can give you some unpleasant surprises.

• 6. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
                    malch Level 1

Yes you're absolutely right Peter.  The Master Page entries on the destination side were taking over.  I got rid of them, and I think I'm o.k. now.

The only odd thing is this:

For half of my left-hand pages, the purple (margin) lines are on the outside perimeter of the page, while on the right-hand pages, the margin line is about half and inch in from the perimeter, all the way around.  I think this is how it's supposed to be.

I just googled margins, and see a video tutorial about setting margins for a new document, but would you mind telling me how I can change the margins on just some of my left-hand pages on a document that I've been working at for a month (i.e., it's not new)?

Yours hopefully,

Malcolm

• 7. Re: when I combine 2 documents, strange things happen...
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First, check the master pages that are in the doc now. Are they right? If not, change them.

If they're correct and you still have document pages that are wrong yo have tow choices: fix them one at a time by selecting Layout > Margins and Columns... (which is what you would also need to do to fix a master, but with the master selected), or reapply the master page to the document page. The latter is faster since you can do it to a range of pages at once, but will put back the master copy of any master objects you previously overrode on the document page, which can be a real headache.