6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 9:21 AM by Szalam

Hard Cut Between Layers

Firemans Run

hard cut between layers.jpg

Is there a way to hard cut between layers, so that I don't have to use as many key frames? For example, right now, I set the starting opacity at 0 and then I need 3 key frames when I want to introduce a new layer like in the example above.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Nope.  Not the way you want to do it.  But you CAN cut down on the drudgery on the quick fade up/down by making an effects preset for the opacity property -- put the timeline cursor in the right spot, call up the preset, boom... done.

I noticed that your layers' opacity begins a 0%, then sloooowly works up to 1%... is that intentional?   What does it do for you?

• 2. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
            Firemans Run Level 1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I will look into making a preset, that sounds really helpful.

As far as the opacity set to 1% I don't know any other way to do it. I think if I set it to 0%, the key frame at the beginning will disappear.

• 3. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
              Firemans Run Level 1

I do it to bring in the layer.

• 4. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Firemans Run wrote:

As far as the opacity set to 1% I don't know any other way to do it. I think if I set it to 0%, the key frame at the beginning will disappear.

Try it and see. (Hint: it will work just fine.)

• 5. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I do not understand your question or Dave's answer. if you want to cut a layer then why not set the CTI on the  last frame you want to see and press Alt/option + ] to set an out point and avoid the use of opacity altogether.

If you want to change the value of any property so it snaps from 100 to 0 using only 1 new keyframe then why not enable Hold keyframes? Both techniques are thIngs you should have learned in the first ten minutes when you created your very first comp.

There is no difference at all between putting the CTI at frame twenty-nine  then setting an out point and setting an opacity keyframe to 100% at frame twenty-nine then setting another to 0% at frame thirty. This also produces exactly the same result as placing a "hold" keyframe at 100% at frame zero and setting another to 0% at frame thirty. The only possible reason I can possibly come up with for your 1% keyframe is that you do not know how to set a keyframe without changing a value. 

• 6. Re: Hard Cut Between Layers
                    Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I agree with Rick. You do seem to be asking questions that should have been in your very first few AE lessons. If you're this new to AE, you should start here: Getting started with After Effects These resources will help eliminate a lot of this frustration (and things like unneeded 1% keyframe workarounds).

1 person found this helpful