15 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 7:39 AM by MrTIFF

Booklet printing to tabloid

Macuzer

I hope I am posting this correctly. I thought I could get telephone assistance regardless of the cost. My reputation is hanging on this. I would pay any amount at this point.

For years I have printed the same tabloid size art catalog from inDesign (CS6 now) by using:

PRINT BOOKLET

PRINT SETTINGS -making sure my printer (Canon) is selected

PRINT - select SAVE AS POSTSCRIPT in the PDF dropdown

Print to desktop and open w/DISTILLER set to oversize print

I have been struggling for HOURS to get this to work. It only prints portions of each page on letter size, regardless of how many times I configure to print 17x11.

I am at the end of my rope with a deadline at the end of the day on something I have NEVER EVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH!!!!

I am on a Mac w/Yosemite 10.10.2

How can I get the help I need??????????????????????????????????????????? It isn't working and my head is pounding.

Pete

• 1. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
          MW Design Level 4

I'm on windows...

To get you out of a bind, how about exporting to PDF as single pages and printing as a Booklet from Acrobat or Reader? It's what I do even though I can go the PostScript route.

Mike

• 2. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
            Macuzer Level 1

Funny you say that. I was trying that for a long while. My intent, of course, was to send a PDF to the printer as I have done for years to get a crisp, clean copy. I tried the "old-fashioned way" and printed to paper, but, because it is an art catalog in full-color, I'd prefer it be as crisp as possible.

I have been struggling with this for hours to the point that my head is just pounding with pain. - Thanks, Mike!!!

• 3. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
              MW Design Level 4

You're welcome...I think!

Unless I am missing something, you should be able to take that reader spread PDF to anywhere and they will impose it just fine. Even the quick printers around here will use Acrobat to impose.

Mike

• 4. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                Macuzer Level 1

Well, I've now been on this for nearly 8 hours. Here's what I discovered:

I could not do a blessed thing to get this to print correctly using inDesign CS6 with Print Booklet and then DISTILLER to open the PS file (all outlined in my initial post).

What I ended up doing out of sheer desperation, I saved it as an earlier version (.idml), threw that new file, all the images and links to an external HD and found a colleague who had inDesign CS5. That party opened it all up, adjusted the links, and printed the booklet w/o a blink or hiccup.

Soooooo.... what on Earth is going on w/CS6 and the ability to print to .ps???????????????????? No matter what I did, it forced me to produce a letter-size, not a tabloid.

At least my rep isn't tarnished with the community that expected this annual piece! Perhaps in an hour my heart will stop racing.

• 5. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To print to postscript for distilling on Mac you need to install the ADBEPDF9.ppd printer description file (see Creating PostScript Files in Snow Leopard for Older Print Workflows | InDesignSecrets ).

But if this is going to a commercial printer, as Mike says, you should not be imposing spreads at all. Ask the printer for the recommended PDF settings.

• 6. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                    Macuzer Level 1

Peter, this is new w/CS6? I am sorry, but maybe it's just the now 10-hours put into the project. I cannot get this to work. I went to the Adobe site, downloaded the Adobe.sit file, unzipped it to an Adobe Folder containing Acrobat Distiller, Distiller CS, CT, J, and K. I created a folder in InDesign CS6 application in the Presets folder, calling the folder PPD, dropped the five files, changing the name of the Acrobat Distiller file to Adobe PDF 9.ppd

Nothing is working any differently. I want to be able to print out this document as an Acrobat file, regardless of where it is printed. I fought all day for this, and I'm not giving up. Suggestions, please?

• 7. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                      MW Design Level 4

Reading through the InDesign Secrets article Peter linked to, the folder should be named PPDs

Note the lowercase 's' on the end. And evidently the folder is case-sensitive.

Mike

• 8. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                        Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

>I went to the Adobe site, downloaded the Adobe.sit file, unzipped it to an Adobe Folder containing Acrobat Distiller, Distiller CS, CT, J, and K. I created a folder in InDesign CS6 application in the Presets folder, calling the folder PPD, dropped the five files, changing the name of the Acrobat Distiller file to Adobe PDF 9.ppd

?????? I don't think you have the PPD. Use http://indesignsecrets.com/downloads/forcedl/ADPDF9.PPD (you should be able to right-click the link and "Save Target As" in your browser.

• 9. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                          Macuzer Level 1

Peter,

Thank you for the clarity. THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM!!!!!!!! I also did not realize I had to have the folder name typed EXACTLY as PPDs (I was leaving off the lower-case S).

Printed to PDF with no problems!! Thank you!!!

Pete

• 10. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would strongly recommend to use the booklet function at all:

1. It needs postscript and distiller, avoid postscript.
                            2. This function is a mess
                            3. Imposing is the Job for the printer, not for the designer.
                            4. If you need it to use for the laser printer, use the print booklet function in Adobe Acrobat or Reader

Make your PDFs only with File > Export > PDF for print.

• 11. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                              Macuzer Level 1

Willi, I'm confused. If you don't use the booklet feature, how does a large book get properly paginated so it will print in the correct sequence? Can you embellish what you posted??

• 12. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Your job is to design the publication and to export it as PDF with single pages (but the document has to be set up facing).

Bring this file to your printer, he will do the imposing.

If you need to do it on tha laser printer, open it in Acrobat or Reader, in the print dialog you will find a print booklet function.

• 13. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                                  Macuzer Level 1

Thank you, Willi. Now I have a clearer understanding. Unfortunately, I work in a public school district that uses sophisticated photocopy machines to replicate the work that happens from my department. We do not send out to a professional printer. Therefore, everything that is sent needs to be "camera-ready" or in a file ready to print. All that is out of my domain. So I have always make the booklets from inDesign, opened in Acrobat, flipped all the even pages (180º), saved and posted to their FTP.

I greatly appreciate your insight, however.

Pete

• 14. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                                    MW Design Level 4

Pete,

Perhaps one of the several PDF imposition plugins for Acrobat would be appropriate for y'all? I use one for my own imposition reasons. It saves a lot of hassle and is not dependent on printing out of ID.

Mike

• 15. Re: Booklet printing to tabloid
                                      MrTIFF Level 3

Pete,

I would love to work with you to help you simplify your workflow, including automatically rotating every other sheet.  Please PM me privately if you have any interest.

Regards,

Stephen

Author of the IDImposer extension for InDesign