3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 2:28 PM by bogiesan

Making more room on the Timeline in After Effects

Christ-Fowel Level 1

I had finished this project in After Effects that I want to add something new into it. To move all the layers down and make sure everything lines up properly would be a project in itself! Is there any way of manipulating the timeline or layers to stretch out more room in a specific spot of the timeline ? If anyone could help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it!

• 1. Re: Making more room on the Timeline in After Effects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Pre-compose, split and time-stretch as needed.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Making more room on the Timeline in After Effects
            Christ-Fowel Level 1

Thanks a lot! This really help!
            Not exactly what I wanted but I think it will do for now. I guess Pre-composing it would not allow access to those layers unless copied over to the comp I'm working in after the pre-copse.

It seems like this way would end up messing a lot of things up, in regards to keeping things organized. you know? Only if there was a "cleaner" way of doing it.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Making more room on the Timeline in After Effects
              bogiesan Level 4

Make a duplicate of your project before you do anything you can't undo. When you say, "move layers down" we assume you mean downstream in time, not down the layer stack.

Get to know how the eyeballs and the locks work and learn. Also learn how to use the colored labels to help you organize your layers.

Myl's idea of precomposing is probably where you start but carefully organize your project so layers are grouped logically. You can also pre-render certain layers as movies and import them. This is a huge timesaver and simplifies future revisions.

Depending on the effects and motion animation you have going on, it simply may not deposable to extend the center of a project without massive work.