1 2 Previous Next 47 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2015 10:59 AM by rsukhram@tgioa.com

"Green Light" to build a new system

rsukhram@tgioa.com Level 1

I pretty much use all of what CC offers (PS, AI, ID, PR, AR, AU, LR, DW, Speed Grade and Edge Animate).  I am also the Creative Director and Solutions Sales Engineer for my company so I use this rig for more that just Adobe apps (but none are as process intensive as the Adobe apps are).

Ok soa few months ago I was looking to upgrade a few components to my existing system (specs below and thread is https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1661878 ).  As of this morning I have been given the green light to spec out a new build.  I was hoping that I would have learned from my current build on do'sand don'ts but I am solely looking to make this new build a high performance + stable machine and it's hard to not look at just getting the best available .  With that mindset I don't really get to see other areas of possible concern....all I see are specs!

A few questions:

1 - I think I am sold on the GPU (GTX Titans wee to be the choice of most but correct me if I am wrong).  I am looking to support 3 monitors with either 1 or 2 of these GPUs. If you had the ability to have 2 Titans would you?  Hoe would the Adobe benefit?

2 - I was looking into a LGA2011-3 socket type CPU + mobo but wondering if I should look into Xeon (single or double) approach or an i-series approach.  Thoughts?   Also note I will still have my existing rig so I can convert this machine to do strictly renders if needed.

3 - Since we are talking about CPUs what mobo would you use for your rig?I was already researching the Asus Z10PE-D16 WS board but that is a dual Xeon + DDR4 setup.  Price is insane and Im sure I can spend that money in other places to get better performances.

Its not often that I get this opportunity at work so I would love to build a rock solid, speedy rig and leave myself in a good position to grow with the rig.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

The system is:

• Mobo: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPUs: Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
      • RAM:  64 GB (32 per CPU)
      • GPUs:  Maximus Configuration using a Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075.  Also added a Quadro K2000 later to add an output for a 3rd monitor.

For HDDs:

• Samsung 830 (500GB) for OS + Apps
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Lightroom Files
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Caching
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Previews
      • 2 WD 1TB Raptor Drive in Raid 0 using the mobo Marvell controller for all media assets

All housed in a Cooler Master Cosmos II case and an Antec 1300 watt HCP Platinum PSU.

PPBM8 Scores;

Your CPU intensive PPBM8 score is in the top 10% of the current PPBM8 scores

Your GPU intensive PPBM8 score is in the bottom 5% of the current PPBM8 scores

Your Disk intensive PPBM8 score is in the in the lower half of the current PPBM8 scores

1 2 Previous Next