8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2015 11:43 AM by A.T. Romano

can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13

bordstiff Level 1

I have a new camcorder and I have a problem editing with premiere elements 7, does elements 13  offer a solution? I believe it is the type of file that is not compatible.

• 1. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
          whsprague Level 4

You didn't give any information about which camera is the source of your MTS files, so I will assume that they are from an AVCHD 2.0 compliant camera.  If I recall correctly, Adobe Premier Elements began support AVCHD 2.0 in version 11.  (It was the primary reason I upgraded to that version.)   The current version 13 continues with that and even includes support for 4K video.

• 2. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bprdstoff

Please supply more information about your camera and the settings that you expect to be using for it. Many of the cameras offer a choice of AVCHD.mts or AVCHD.mp4.

one of the differences between the two choices is typically the audio....the AVCHD.mts is usually seen described with Dolby Digital and the AVCHD.mp4 is usually seen described with AAC. Both should be supported for import in Premiere Elements 13.

Your question focused on a editing considerations of Premiere Elements 13. Do you use the Elements Organizer to any great extent? If so, then we advised that there

is an Elements Organizer 13 no audio issue when the AVCHD.mts is played back using the Elements Organizer 13 player. This problem does not seem to be present for

the AVCHD.mp4.

So, if you are Elements Organizer as well as Premiere Elements oriented, you might want to consider the camera setting for AVCHD.mp4 instead of AVCHD.mts to cover both bases - Editor and Organizer.

We look forward to learning the details of your question so that we might offer a customized reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
              whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Many of the cameras offer a choice of AVCHD.mts or AVCHD.mp4.

one of the differences between the two choices is typically the audio....the AVCHD.mts is usually seen described with Dolby Digital and the AVCHD.mp4 is usually seen described with AAC. Both should be supported for import in Premiere Elements 13.

ATR

Not exactly.  "AVCHD" is joint Sony and Panasonic project and legally protected under patent or trademark.  The files will always be "xxxxxx.mts".   If the files are xxxxxx.mp4, they may in fact be similar in structure, but they are not included in the "AVCHD" standard.   "xxxxxx.mp4" is a structure related to Quicktime from Apple.  Microsoft, Adobe and others also weigh in with proprietary and patent encumbered formats. 

The simple answer is that Premier Elements 13 supports a whole bunch of formats.  A summary can be found at this link:  Supported file formats.   If the original poster has a camera that makes xxxxxx.mts files, he is covered. 

• 4. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bordstiff

Just wanted to point out what I actually wrote in my post numbered 2 regarding AVCHD.mts and AVCHD.mp4....excerpt from beginning of post 2....

Please supply more information about your camera and the settings that you expect to be using for it. Many of the cameras offer a choice of AVCHD.mts or AVCHD.mp4.

emphasis on the "...ONE of the differences between the two choices..." and pointing to a possible audio conflict with the AVCHD.mts in the Elements Organizer 13 player.

That is exactly the case.

If your camera offers only an AVCHD.mts file and you are Elements Organizer oriented, then this becomes a major concern at this time as I went on to point out in that post 2.

And, although you may be covered on the Premiere Elements 13 side of things, you are not on the Elements Organizer 13 side of things. We have had several threads target this issue, and I wanted to make you aware of this as you consider your program choices.

ATR

• 5. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
                  whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

bordstiff

Just wanted to point out what I actually wrote in my post numbered 2 regarding AVCHD.mts and AVCHD.mp4....excerpt from beginning of post 2....

I'm trying to point out that you are mistaken and misleading the OP by writing about "AVCHD.mp4" modes.  No camera has that as a choice.  AVCHD belongs to Sony/Panasonic.  MP4 is something else, rooted with Apple.   Cameras may have an AVCHD setting for 1920x1080 along with 1920x1080 MP4 choices.  But, there will be no "AVCHD.MP4" selections. 

The original question is about PrE13 being able to use "MTS" files.  It does. 

The OP didn't ask about Organizer.  But one simple comment saying, "Organizer does not play the audio portion of ".mts" files on my computer" should suffice.   On the other hand, if your mission is to drive potential customers away from Adobe products, help yourself.  My experience is that ALL NLEs have a bug or two in them somewhere.  Dwelling, focusing or bragging about bug discovery is counter productive!

I've been editing .mts files with PrE since version 9 and like it alot.  But I don't use organizer, don't like it and don't recommend it.  There are more robust "organizers" that do better.  My favorite is Lightroom. 

• 6. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

bordstiff

In this thread I have no interests but to supply reliable information to you. What I have written stands as is. And, my answer to your questions will continue to be honest and for your consideration. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask me.

As for AVCHD.mts and AVCHD.mp4 in camera whose specifications offer the choice of AVCHD or .MP4.....both have been reported to use a form of AVCHD video compression with different wrapper formats (.mts and .mp4). Again, I did not post to go further into that. Please refer to the following link's post dated February 12, 2014 as one discussion of the matter.

FCP.co Forum :: Topic: AVCHD vs. MP4 ? (1/2)

I did not discover that AVCHD.mts does not play back the audio portion of an AVCHD.mts file when played back in the Elements Organizer 13 player. That has been the reality of Premiere Elements 13/Elements Organizer 13 users who found this out by themselves later than sooner. And, I confirm their results in those cases. There is no fix for this at the present time, and that is a user to user honest non marketing report. If this Elements Organizer issue is not an important concern for you, then this is a non issue for you.

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
                      whsprague Level 4

What I have written also stands.  There is no such thing as an "AVCHD.MP4" camera setting.

• 8. Re: can i edit MTS files with premiere elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

borstiff

Just noticed that the link to which I referred you has several 12 Feb 2014 posts entries.

FCP.co Forum :: Topic: AVCHD vs. MP4 ? (1/2)

For your consideration, I was referring you to the one with the description 12 Feb 2014 11:57. This is the one

that quotes from the community sony.com.

ATR