13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2016 1:05 AM by max0517

Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC

JBDesigns

I am having repeated errors while rendering a 4k composition in Adobe After Effects CC. The composition is setup with the pixel ratio is 3840x2160 at 29.97FPS. I did this to match the output of the video that I will later attach to finish the composition I had generated in After Effects. The composition is about 12s long and takes about 12min(estimated) to render on my current platform. (14gb Ram, GeForce GTX 970, 4tb extra hardrive).

The problem I am running into is the intro composition will render about 3/4 of the way through then crash; I am getting a rendering error that causes it to stop and crashed after effects. I have tried changing the output Codecs settings and render quality to see if this helps at all, it doesn't. I can get the project to render in a lower quality of 1920x1080 (a little glitchy). I am not sure where to start troubleshooting this further?? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

What is your exact version number of AE CC? It should start with a 13 or a 12.

What are the render settings you've been trying?

What is in your comp?

Does it always stop on the same exact frame?

And, this is a big one, what error messages are you getting?

And all of the info mentioned in that link I gave.

• 2. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
            JBDesigns Level 1

I am using AE CC version 13.2

My render settings are in the pics below

render window settings.jpgoutput modules settings.jpgrender settings.jpg

my  caustics comp is 12 seconds long has a background sub comp, sky (logo sub comp) , and  bottom layer comp with wave world effects with some fades on the logo

full work space.jpg

The render seems to freeze at the same point for each time, even with I trying a new codecs or to mess with the settings, it seems to be with the comp itself or the output power of my platform.

platfrom

asus z97-a motherboard, 16gb ddr3 memory, I7 4790 processor, samsung 256 SSD, 4TB WD RED, EVGA Nvidia 970 video card, running on windows 7

Rendering error codes:

error code 3.jpgrender error code 2.jpgrender error code.jpg

I hope this helps, thankyou for your help with this. I wrote the initial thread when I was at work today away from my platform at home and did not have the specific details. Any help to get this thing moving again would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to lower output video quality as the rest of my video footage is in 4k with matching aspect ratios for the footage

• 3. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
              dissidently Level 1

try rendering out a .png sequence.

This way each frame is a single image. And you isolate any potential problems of a compressor. But it may not be that.

At least with a png sequence you can keep what you have rendered and then restart rendering from the point of any crash.

• 4. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As of January 31, 2015 you should be on 13.2.0.49

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 9.54.42 PM.png

Try updating AE and see if you still have the same problem. If you do make sure that you try turning off MP rendering if it is on, purge all of you memory and disk cache, and try again. If that fails, try resetting caustics to it's default values and see if you get a crash. If you do, then file a bug report and include the crash log.

• 5. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                  JBDesigns Level 1

I tried resetting the caustics to default and still had the same errors and crash. I am contacting abobe support directly and my computer platform builder today, to see from both ends what the problem is. It could be with my platform settings and output settings with the abobe  AE. I will have more information later this afternoon

• 6. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                    JBDesigns Level 1

I was unable to isolate the problem with the project with adobe support. They suggested that I rebuild my project to see if I get the same problems.

• 7. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                      dissidently Level 1

If you're unable to finish the rendering with your process of rendering to a video file, render to still frames, and then, when it crashes, restart from the last rendered frame.

At least this way you can get the project finished, and rendered at your desired resolution.

And for them to suggest you do the homework of finding out what's wrong, with their system, is ridiculous.

Did they not offer to take a look at your project?

And why doesn't Adobe Cloud offer cloud rendering?

• 8. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC

I agree with dissidently about trying to render into an image sequence. When it crashes, you can just start the rendering from the crashed point. If that is successful, then I would suspect something to do with your computer lacking power. You might consider messing with the "secret" preferences and setting it to purge after so many frames.

Does it do a RAM preview without problems? I mean, I know you can't do a RAM preview of your whole comp with 16 GB of RAM (or is it 14? You've said both), but can you do a RAM preview through the section where it crashes on render?

• 9. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                          JBDesigns Level 1

Adobe support went through the full composition for rendering with me over the phone and via remote desktop access. We were able to figure out that it is not my computer having enough thump to push the rendering process. It seems that I have issues with one of the layers or effects applied to the layers in my compositions. Adobe was unable or I guess unwilling to go through the project and give guidance on what the problem in the composition might be. They can only provide support for the program, which was a bit disappointing. It was interesting to find out that adobe now prefers that you use the media encoder for all rendering processes. The tech let me know that your computer will only use your graphics card when the cpu needs help rendering. Is there a a way to force adobe media encoder to just use the GPU as the primary for the rendering? He said this was not possible.

I am going to render to still frames this evening and see if I can render the comp in 2 sequences. It seems like this could be my easy fix. The Ram preview works and I have been able to export portions of the ram preview ( I have 16GB RAM currently adding another 16GB this week).

It looks like I have 2 options at this point to fix my comps. for final output

-completely rebuild everything from scratch

-go through each layer,effect, composition and reset each and try to render to isolate the problem. (very time consuming as it already takes 15-20 min to render each time)

It will probably be faster for me to redo the entire project over again. I have already spent to much time troubleshooting as is. I will provide updates as figure out the fix.

• 10. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC

JBDesigns wrote:

The tech let me know that your computer will only use your graphics card when the cpu needs help rendering. Is there a a way to force adobe media encoder to just use the GPU as the primary for the rendering?

I don't know what that tech was talking about. AE barely uses the GPU at all unless you're using it to accelerate the (obsolete) ray-traced renderer or certain third-party effects (such as Red Giant's Universe or Video Copilot's Element 3D). More detail on GPU in AE here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

If you hold shift when opening up the preferences to get the "secret" preferences, and change the purging, I wonder if that would help. I'd also be interested to hear if adding RAM made the problem go away.

Another suggestion would be to prerender some elements. For example, are you using Wave World to drive the caustics? If so, you might consider prerendering the Wave World layer before the final render.

• 11. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC
                              JBDesigns Level 1

I am going to try changing my purging settings on the secret menu this evening as see if this helps. I am using wave world to drive caustics. I will also try to pre render the layer as well. thanks for the feedback with all of this, it has been helpful in trouble shooting my crash issues alot more that adobe support was. I will give feedback if adding RAM helped out in anyway. I am also getting a second SSD (1TB) to write to as well. My first SSD is 256 GB. launching all my programs from the smaller drive and specifically writing to the larger drive. Any recommendations for setup on this?

• 12. Re: Repeated Failed Rendering 4k composition in After Effects CC

JBDesigns wrote:

I am also getting a second SSD (1TB) to write to as well. My first SSD is 256 GB. launching all my programs from the smaller drive and specifically writing to the larger drive. Any recommendations for setup on this?

It's recommended to put your AE cache on your fastest drive and to have that cache on a different drive from the one to which you're rendering.