8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 12:17 PM by john beardsworth

Import from Aperture has filled my HD!

jgdce49

I'm new to LR5....I used the "Import from Aperture" plugin to migrate my whole Aperture library (39,496) into LR.  I thought that I'd set it up to store the images on an External Drive, however this hasn't happened and they've ended up both as a Smart Collection "without keyword" and in "most recent" on my computer HDD.  This is now completely full.  Can I still move the whole "Smart Collection" across to an Ext. HDD or should I delete and start again, if so how, as  it says I can't delete from Smart Albums?

• 2. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
          jgdce49 Level 1

Karsten

Thanks for the reply, looked really promising...but not quite...

So I have my Mac. HD with only 50GB left to use, and I have my 3TB external drive with 1.2TB spare.

The "YouTube" clip that you referred me to looks perfect, exactly what I want (need) to do, so having watched it a couple of times I followed the guide exactly, but after I've clicked on the Folders + and selected my 3TB Ext HD I don't get the option to "choose folder" and the Ext HD doesn't appear under "Folders' heading below my Macintosh HD

I tried creating a new "untitled folder" on the Ext HD but that doesn't show up either..?

If it's means anything, this Ext HD does appear to be receiving my "Time Machine backups", as a new screen then appears asking whether I want to transfer these across to my Macintosh HD..!

There's a missing link here somewhere, presumably hidden in a drop down somewhere but I'm really stuck with this as it's now stopped my iMac from accepting updates as there's not enough space left on my HD., so I really need to get all these images transferred over to the external drive...

Any further suggestion would be much appreciated.

John

• 3. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
            Karsten Wind Level 1

It seams as if your external HD is not formatted correct. Is there any files on the external HD. If not then try to format the entire external HD and then try again to move a folder with Lightroom over to the external HD.

• 4. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
              jgdce49 Level 1

Karsten

I have now managed to add my Ext HD under "Folders" and I've created a folder...but when I "select all" my images to drag into the new folder, which I've created, I get the following Pop-up "All the files you selected are missing. No files can be moved"..?

I have tried by selecting "Most recent import" ...(39,496)  A similar quantity (39,065) appear under "Smart Collections - without keywords" I get the same Pop-up each time, obviously I've done something wrong here..?

• 5. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Step back a bit. When you ran "Import from Aperture", did you click the Options button at its bottom left, and did you then set the option to import photos at their current locations? My guess is you didn't, which is

If your photos were "referenced" in Aperture, this would prevent your hard drive filling up. If your photos were "managed" in Aperture, you should first use Aperture's Relocate Masters/Originals command to change all the photos to "referenced" locations (eg to the EHD). You can then start over again - deleting the new Lightroom picture folders that are filling up your HD, deleting the Lightroom Catalog (Pictures folder) and then running the import with the above options. Of course, ensure you are 100% backed up before doing any of this.

By the way, don't confuse these built-in smart collections with the migration task.

• 6. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
                  jgdce49 Level 1

John

Thanks for this reply...perhaps I was a bit optimistic as to how easy it was to migrate from Aperture to LR5.  Yes my Aperture library is "managed" so I'll need to change that to "referenced, first of all..although I did look at quite a few comments and FAQ's regarding how to carryout this task, which I've obviously messed up big style..

A lot of the images either aren't opening, or won't be dragged onto the Ext HD, so rather than just deleting the Lightroom catalog, as you suggest (although I don't seem to be able to find a command for that operation) I'm actually considering uninstalling the whole of Lightroom 5 (from the Applications file) and then re-installing it and starting over from the very beginning...?

My aim was to transfer the +- 5,000 images from iPhoto, together with the +- 40,000 from Aperture, but maybe I'll just leave them there, and start to use LR5 from scratch, by just loading my new images on...

But I'm open to any other suggestions...

• 7. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
                    Karsten Wind Level 1

I will suggest that you do as described above by John.

• 8. Re: Import from Aperture has filled my HD!
                      john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You delete the catalog in Finder.

it wouldn't be a bad idea to use Lightroom for new images and  to delay bringing in the Aperture/iPhoto stuff until later when you'll be more experienced with how Lightroom does things. Also, read my Aperture to Lightroom page as it explains the managed/referenced issue, and a lot more.

John