12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2015 9:44 AM by A.T. Romano

I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.

clydealan

I created the slideshow in the movie maker rather than organizer.  It is complete with soundtrack: about 4 minutes long.  It will not burn to CD and I have tried several different methods, settings and even Ashampoo burning program, nor will it upload to Photobucket.  I have both MP4 and MPG copies of it saved in a folder on my pc but cannot seem to be able to do anything with it.  I am thinking the music I used is has not been purchased; could that be causing all the problems?  I attempted to go to Rhapsody and purchase the track but today Rhapsody would not open, I got that "Rhapsody has topped working".  Me too - - - for awhile at least.  Any help would be appreciated.  The slide show is a synopsis of my brothers life who passed Thursday.

• 1. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

In what format did you export your slideshow from Movie Maker? What file extension - mp4? From what program are you getting the MPG from?

What type of disc are you using, a CD or DVD disc? And, what do you want to create from this Movie Maker file - VCD format (lesser quality product on a CD disc) or DVD-VIDEO format (a bit higher quality product on a DVD disc)? Premiere Elements does not support the use of a CD disc for the burn to disc process.

There is always a question about protected music, but at this point we need to clarify the above before we get into that.

Looking forward to your follow up, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
            clydealan Level 1

I am using Premier Elements 13.  My OS is Windows 8.1 64 bit..  I exported both MPG and MP4.  I am not sure I understand "what program are you getting the MPG from?"  I made several attempts burning and downloading to my pc all with Elements..  I did manage to get two different copies of the show onto a folder and I believe both were done using Elements 13.  I attempted to burn to DVD with Elements.  When I attempted using Ashampoo burning software I tried both. The CD was too small (not enough space) and the DVD did copy the files but it was not playable on anything.  I relly appreciate your help.  I am half way proficient in Photoshop but video and slideshows are new to me.  The video is just over 4 minutes and it took me two days to do that.  It looks and sounds good on the pc, it's just that I cannot share it with anyone.  Thank you Mr. Romano.

alan

• 3. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

When you wrote "I created the slideshow in the movie maker rather than organizer", did you mean that you created the slideshow in Premiere Elements 13 Editor rather than use the new Elements Organizer 13 Create/Slideshow? If so, I misinterpreted  your "movie maker" and thought that you were referring to the Microsoft Movie Maker 2012 which offers mp4 and wmv exports. If my new interpretation is correct, you have your Premiere Elements 13 Timeline content exported a file with a .mp4 file extension and one with a .mpg file extension.

What is happening when you put your DVD-R or DVD-RW disc in your burner tray and go to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc? Do you see

a. in the Burner location: your burner name

b. in the Status: Ready

c. the progress bar with Encoding, Compiling, Burning, finally ending in a message about successful burn to disc?

You cannot use a CD disc in Premiere Elements 13 Editor. Either DVD disc or Blu-ray Disc.

Where are you playing this end product disc?

Keep in mind, when you have a file that you want to take to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc (which should play on a regular DVD player), you have to use

a program that can take your file to DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc. That is called authoring. If the program does not offer that, then you will get a data disc

which is your file in its format before the burn to disc and not the DVD-VIDEO format on the DVD disc.

Please review and consider. If any questions or need clarification, please never hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                clydealan Level 1

You are a Godsend for this newbie.  I am burning the DVD-RAls struggle.JPG using Publish and Share with Elements 13 Editor as you surmised. These are the settings I used.  And definitely my DVD is not being authored.  The message I receive when I start is "your files are being burned to disk".   Not good; right?  By the way music was not the issue.  I purchased the track and reinserted into the show and nothing really changed.  I was successful in saving it in MPG format.  It would not upload to Photobucket for some reason but I did manage to get it online at Vimeo.  (This link may get you there  Jim on Vimeo ).  After the disk is finished the message I get is "Burn Complete.  Your files have been burned to disk"  I also used AVCHD - same result.  Thanks again A.T.

• 5. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                  whsprague Level 4

clydealan wrote:

(This link may get you there  Jim on Vimeo ). 

That is an impressive "life story" video.  It would have been a pleasure to know Jim.  Thank you for posting. 

Bill

• 6. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

Thanks for the follow up.

What are you using for the player of what should be your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or your AVCHD format on DVD disc?

Do you have access to another DVD player to run the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? The AVCHD DVD

does not play back using a regular DVD player. It needs a Blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi format players.

There should also be an OpenDVD Folder along with the VIDEO_TS Folder.

Depending on the outcome of the above, look for the preference under Edit Menu/Preferences/General which involves the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher.

Compare your results with and without that preference enabled when you do a burn to disc for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                      clydealan Level 1

I don't use Mac, just Windows.  I tried playing the disk back on the pc and realized Elements just burned the files and not a playable video.  I found the preference/General but do not understand what I should do or what I am looking for.  Am I wrong in thinking it should be a simple matter for Premier Elements to spit out a DVD that can be played on anything?  What am I missing here?

• 8. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit....Burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc Choice

Sorry for the Mac notations post 6. They should not be there, and I have been the process of getting that erased. I cannot do that myself and need an forum moderator's help in that matter. In spite of the Mac notations, the information applies to Windows as well and is applicable to your situation.

From what you have presented so far, it would appear that Premiere Elements went through the DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc process successful as per the last message from the program. What I am trying to determine from your details is just what Premiere Elements put on that disc and what would be DVD-VIDEO files and

structure. That is why I asked

can you insert your disc into the burner, open the disc, and explore the disc content, looking for

VIDEO_TS Folder

and the VTS_01_1.VOB file in the VIDEO_TS Folder

There should also be an OpenDVD Folder along with the VIDEO_TS Folder.

Also, can you double click the VTS_01_1.VOB file and get it to play back in your computer player. How many different players have you used looking for a play back

of your Premiere Elements 13 DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

You wrote

Am I wrong in thinking it should be a simple matter for Premier Elements to spit out a DVD that can be played on anything?  What am I missing here?

Your basic expectations are correct but with dependency on the specifications of the player. But, it is not happening for you and we are trying to determine why not in your case. That is why all the questions which are depending on your answers.

As for the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference (specifically written as "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher)",

There have been several reports that this preference enabled or not can influence some of the export results.

So, I wanted you to rule in or out this factor by:

1. Going to preferences and unchecking that preference and then doing the burn to, followed by the play back of the disc product. Go or no go at playback?

and

2. Next going to preferences and having a check mark next to the preference and then doing the burn to, followed by the play back of the disc product. Go or no go at playback?

You have a wonderful and important project to complete, and we are privileged to be a part of helping you get the memorial completed. We want you to succeed.

ATR

• 9. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                          clydealan Level 1

ok, I unchecked 2000 and higher preference and cut another disk.  Same result.  One real quick question;  when prompted for putting in disc menus I chose not to so my disk does not have menus.  Any possibility this could be an issue? I am attaching a screenshot of the files burned to the disk.  I could even send you one: I have seven of them. ATR HELP.jpg

• 10. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

Thanks. Great information.

Everything points to everything working as would be expect on the Premiere Elements side

a. Burning success message from the program

b. The folders and files need for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc playback. What happened when you double clicked the

VTS_01_1.VOB on the opened disc? That is the DVD-VIDEO video file. Did that playback with your player?

All your good news/bad news is pointing me to the player that you are using for your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

I had pointed to that before as a factor to be looked at. Please remind what player for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?

Have you tried to playback this disk on a DVD player attached to a TV set are have? Have you been using a computer

player only?

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                              clydealan Level 1

AT you are not going to believe this.  You are exactly correct it was the player all along.  For the past two days I have struggled and struggled to get a good disk, ran through over a half dozen, when all along the first one was good. I often copy my pictures to a disk and when it is finished I just put it right back in the pc to check it.  Apparently with a movie it does not work. But I will say this, I have learned quite a lot from our exchanges and that I appreciate immensely.  Too, my brother was indeed my brother in every sense of the word and deserves the best tribute I could put together.  In my struggles I re-did the video three times and the end result does him proud.  Thanks to you ATR.  I shall busy myself now with running off a dozen or so copies.  Good day sir.

• 12. Re: I have a slide show I cannot burn to cd.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

clydealan

I cannot put into words the impact that your message had on me since family and remembrance are very important to me.

Your remembrance video will be appreciated by family and friends as a celebration of your brother's life. Well done.

Wishing you and your family special blessings.

ATR