5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2015 10:20 AM by Alan Craven

LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card

Alan Craven Level 4

I have installed one of these cards, with 6 WD 1TB RE4 enterprise drives attached.  I have run the WebBIOS and created a 6 drive virtual drive in RAID5, but I cannot install the drivers for the card.  I get an error message "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

I am using the latest driver with Windows 7 64 bit.  The card firmware is the next to latest - I cannot understand the LSI instructions on updating the firmware.

The LSI web site is not helpful and I am doubtful that my attempts to submit a support request have been successful.

The card is installed on a Gigabyte GA-X79_UD5 motherboard in the bottom 16X PCIe slot - my GTX680 graphics card obscures the 8x slot.  There is a warning in the Quick Install guide that some 16x slots are for graphics cards only, and the device will not work in them.  I cannot find anything in my motherboard manual to suggest that this is the case, though the two 16x PCIe slots are suitable for the NVidiaSLi configuration.

Internet searches have not offered any help.  Has anyone here any experience with LSI megaRAID cards that may help me please?

• 1. Re: LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card
          Alan Craven Level 4

I have come to the conclusion that the LSI card is not compatible with my GA-X79-UD5 motherboard.  I have tried the card in each of the available 8X PCIe slots, both with my present Windows installation and with a fresh bare install of Windows, and I always get the same error message.

I can find no mention of this problem anywhere on the internet, and LSI have not responded to several requests for support.  With other hardware combinations, using a later BIOS has proved to be a solution, but I am using the latest official Gigabyte BIOS (and this is a beta!).  There are other later beta BIOS available on the Tweaktown site, but I am reluctant to go down that road.

I have access to an Asus P9X79 WS E motherboard, and could replace my Gigabyte board with that.  Asus list both the LSI 9260 and 9265 megaRAID cards as compatible with the Asus board, but they do not mention the 9240.  Has anyone any experience of using this motherboard/RAID controller combination please?

• 2. Re: LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

No but I have used the Intel Raid controllers on the Asus boards and they are fine. The Intel and LSI cards are made by LSI. I would also suggest you try the Areca card as well. The cooling on those make a big difference and the cards perform well with their drivers. The management is better than it use to be.

• 3. Re: LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card
              poppabear69 Level 1

I have used the LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i with the ASUS P6X58D-E and it worked well.  It died after 3 years.  I am now using a MegaRAID 9266-4i with the ASUS X99 Deluxe and it is working well. 

• 4. Re: LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card
                Alan Craven Level 4

I have had to give up on the LSI MegaRAID card.  I built a new system using a new Asus P9X79-E WS motherboard and had exactly the same result as before - the device cannot start (code 10).

I am sure that the problem is the ancient firmware on the card.  As far as LSI are concerned, the method of updating the firmware appears to be a closely guarded secret.  I have tried several times to submit a query on their web  site, it shows as being processed, but I have never had a response.

I have given in and ordered an Areca ARC1882i - this at least is listed as compatible by Asus.  Compatibility seems to come with caveats - the Adaptec 5805 is listed as compatible, but in the Asus FAQ for the motherboard there is a warning that the latest Adaptec firmware makes the card incompatible.

If the Areca does not work for me here, at least I can blame Harm for his recommendations of Areca cards over the years!

At least this motherboard has a plethora of PCIe sockets and lanes to play with.  Can anyone advise on the best PCIe socket to use?  My graphics card occupies the top two, so I have a mere five to choose from!

• 5. Re: LSI 9240-8i MegaRAID Card
                  Alan Craven Level 4

The Areca card is a delight!

It took just short of three hours to build a 5TB RAID3 array, using 5 WD 1TB 6 GB/s RE4 drives.

Formatting in Administrative Tools  took seconds, and I am now copying my backed up media at the rate of 100 MB/s - the limitation is the single 4 TB USB3 drive that I am copying from.

CrystalMark shows a drive Read and Write speed of around 600 Mb/s in the top row!

Would anyone like a redundant LSI card before it goes in the re-cycling skip?