10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2017 2:06 PM by franst101

Photo Club Competition Software

Mr Tone1000

LR is so close yet so far away for it to meet a very simple requirement! 

During a judging session, LR will be in manual full screen Slideshow Module.  Right now one can enter star ratings, colours etc; even in full screen mode( f toggle ).  What the clubs need is the ability to enter a two digit number - on the fly in Slideshow.  At the end of the judging process, one can then go into Library Module to filter those images which have score 18, 19 and 20......and then review these chosen images back in Slideshow.  THIS CAN'T BE DIFFICULT!  It would certainly open up a new market for LR and be the ONLY piece of software performing this function to operate on both Windows and MAC.  IT'S A NO BRAINER!

Come on ADOBE - just do it..........

• 1. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

I think you're grossly overestimating the "new market" out there for - whatever this thing would be called.

Lets work on the assumption that the reason neither Lightroom nor any other cross-platform Raw converter does this, is because norbody wants it...

• 2. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
            jimcamel Level 1

Keith, you may be underestimating this. It's not necessarily a Raw Converter issue - it's a photo data managrement and DAM is one of LR's key features.  Perhaps it's not in LR because we've not done a good job articulating the need ... so here goes.

Many photographers enter competitions and would like to have a way to enter/sort/filter scores.  Camera clubs/salons running competitions certainly have a need to do this.

I run a big competition in the Toronto area each year with between 1000-2000 images in multiple categories; I also work with camera clubs that run multiple monthly competitions with hundreds of images ea.  In the greater Toronto area alone there are hundreds of photographers using LR that participate in camera clubs and there are more than 20 camera clubs running competitions in this city alone.  And there are probably hundreds of cities in North America with multiple camera clubs that also have this need and are just cobbling together solutions. It is a shame LR can't go this extra step because it is so close and powerful.

What we're looking for is to be able to put scores into a LR catalog and then exploit all of LR's selection, sort and filtering options to display images.  

The ability to enter those scores in Slideshow and then filter, sort etc on the results would be very beneficial.  Right now we do this using a piece of free SourceForge software called Flexishow link  Flexishow | SourceForge.net which was purpose-built to run photo competitions-it's written in Java and works fine in both Win and Mac (it's available - just follow the link).  It's driven (e.g. populated) by an Excel spreadsheet - and permits a slideshow display with score/comment entering - then with the power of the spreadsheet you can search/sort/display winners, break ties and so forth.  But it's awkward and it would be much more efficient to just implement a facility within the LR database to permit it. It's difficult to get score data back into LR from the spreadsheet and you have to usurp IPTC fields for which this was not their original purpose to hold the data - and even then it's not universally available in sort/smart collections and so forth.

You'd need the ability to input metadata while running the SlideShow to a second monitor.  This would include things like individual judging scores (that is a 2-digit number), text notes, award notes, flags to dis-qualify and so forth.  Library Grid Sort should be able to sort on these fields too.  Then it would be helpful to do some basic arithmetic like Score=sum of J1+J2+J3 - but that's a "nice to have" and not  essential.  Being able to search for Score Greater than a number would also be efficient (e.g. Score is greater than 27) - but you could just search for Score=28 Score=29 Score=30 and since you can include multiple conditions in Smart Collections that gets the job done.

So, yes I believe this would be beneficial to many people and would simplify our workflow for competitions considerably.

• 3. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
              dj_paige Level 9
              Come on ADOBE - just do it..........

I'm sorry Adobe hasn't incorporated your idea into existing versions of Lightroom.

However ...

Over the years, we have heard probably hundreds of people in this and other forums put forth ideas that are simple enough to implement but benefit only a small portion of Lightroom users, and some people even say just what you said: "this can't be difficult" and "just do it".

I think Adobe would need to have two more programmers spending full time just taking ideas from this forum and turning them into reality, all at the cost of bloating the software and complicating the user interface for the benefit of a small percentage of Lightroom users. I see no evidence that such Adobe cares about these minor requests, but if you want to submit a feature request, you can do so here: Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 4. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

Oh, I think I'm right on the money with my estimate of the demand, Jim - if anything (no offence) I'd suggest that you're seriously over-egging the potential demand for something like this - especially in Lightroom.

We've hardly been killed in the rush of support for the idea, after all.

Now try starting a thread about Facial Recognition in Lightroom - you'll see the difference in demand soon enough.

• 5. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                  Mr Tone1000 Level 1

Guys - thanks for your input into this subject.......

Just to add a bit of weight - I believe there are some 500 camera clubs in the UK.  If you then add the rest of Europe let's say 2000 - making a total of Europe including UK at 2,500.  Now for the Far East! Does anybody know? Let's assume 1000 across the entire Asian continent including Australia. Now for the Americas including Canada, Central and South - 2000?  So world wide - what are we talking about?  Let's say 5,500 clubs world wide!  Given that a reasonable proportion of members of these clubs already use LR then...................

Tony

• 6. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                    franst101

Lightroom as good as it is and I love it, does not have an automation made like custom programs for camera club competition.

Programs like THE JUDGE, (The JUDGE Video Page | Compudata Group ) are designed for that job.

Especially when many clubs do not have computer people available and willing to run the competition.

Preparing the competition, doing the competition and keeping the scores and supplying the members or participants with meaningful reports and emails is a task for customized software. Some program are subscription and after 3 or 4 years you have spent over 300.00. Programs like the one above, is a one time price and less that 300.00

All your competitions and club management needs can be accomplished with one program designed for the task.

Check it out.

• 7. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                      trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Mr+Tone1000  wrote

During a judging session, LR will be in manual full screen Slideshow Module.  Right now one can enter star ratings, colours etc; even in full screen mode( f toggle ).  What the clubs need is the ability to enter a two digit number - on the fly in Slideshow.  At the end of the judging process, one can then go into Library Module to filter those images which have score 18, 19 and 20......and then review these chosen images back in Slideshow. 

It's all there....you just need to use the available tools inside LR to implement it:

Why not insert the Text (ABC) Label field into a slideshow template. To add the score (0-20?) simply switch to the Library module (CTRL+ALT+1), insert the number in the Label field, switch back to the Slideshow module (CTRL+ALT+5), go to the next slide. For reviewing images you can use Library Filter Bar 'Label' and/or 'Label' Sort Order, and other filter criteria such as keywords, etc. You can create Filter templates to "speed" the selection process.

Slideshow module

Library module

Slideshow module

Library Module

Filter Bar

Sort Order

• 8. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                        franst101 Level 1

Thanks for reading and providing the details. Did I doubt for a moment that  Lightroom could not do the job. Not  a chance.

What I was mentioning was the automation custom program can do.

If you watch that video mentioned above. you could see the difference.

Can both do the job? Yes.

Custom program also have data bases to help in automate calculations and results plus keep track of everything, besides the images and the basic score.

Can light room take the input of lets say 3 keypads and calculate the total per entry. At the end, display the awards assign to 1st, 2nd or 3rd as an example?

I have seen the Lightroom used in a break-tie competition. It did show that the operator was quit busy handling files. There were others keeping the score separately.

If Lightroom can do that too, perhaps you could show some light. I am not familiar with those  features.

• 9. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you need all or most of the features shown in 'The Judge' video I can safely say it will never be implemented in LR...at least not by Adobe. It may be possible to create a plugin to implement some of the features, but that's no trivial task. At a price of $250 'The Judge' is a no-brainer to fulfill your needs.

That said the OP

What the clubs need is the ability to enter a two digit number - on the fly in Slideshow.

That seems miles apart from your requirements. If all that's needed is the above then it's also a no-brainer–You can use LR.

• 10. Re: Photo Club Competition Software
                            franst101 Level 1

That is correct,

May the 10's score come your way often.

Have fun.