3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2015 10:12 AM by A.T. Romano

How to reduce ambient room noise in a clip without affecting spoken audio ?

audio90 Level 1

Hi there!

I shot this footage in an empty hotel room (top floor). It was very quiet in there, but if you listen to the audio, the room noise is quite loud. Yes, I know the mic isn't pointing to her mouth, but even if it was, the ambient room noise would still be there.

Is there a way to use a filter in elements to reduce the room noise without affecting the spoken audio?

The clip is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIcuUF9EZE

Thank you for any help you can give.

• 1. Re: How to reduce ambient room noise in a clip without affecting spoken audio ?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

audio90

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Several times, I watched and listened to your video sample on my computer and could not pick up on any loud room noises.

I am not sure how to explain that since your speaker's voice come through clearly without distortion or distraction.

What is the player that you are using? If you click on the link that you have provided in this thread, do you hear

the loud room noises that you are reporting?

Have you looked at Premiere Elements audio effects such as

NewBlue Noise Fader

and

NewBlue Noise Reducer

for reducing the noises that you are hearing at playback of your video?

If one of the Premiere Elements audio effects is not reducing the loud room noises, then you can explore what can be

done in the free audio editor Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

Noise Removal - Audacity Wiki

Please give more details since I am not finding anything wrong with the audio on your video audio file.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to reduce ambient room noise in a clip without affecting spoken audio ?
            audio90 Level 1

Whoops, sorry. Premiere Elements 11, on Windows 7 on a PC.

Thanks for the reply. I"m referring to the ambient room noise "hiss". I don't know if its the air conditioner or whatever, but its in the background, compared to clean silence. The speakers voice does have a higher amplitude than the room noise, so she sounds clear, but I always had that ambient room noise in many clips (sometimes its a low level hum),

So out of curiosity, now that i described it, can you hear it now?

Probably the noise gate filer may remove it.

• 3. Re: How to reduce ambient room noise in a clip without affecting spoken audio ?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

audio90

Please let us know how the Adobe audio effects and how an Audacity assist work out for you.

I opened your video in two different computers in two different rooms for playback (using Firefox as browser), and, at a normal distance from the computer screen, I

still was not distracted by background noise. In my test taking a laptop with built in speaker to another room, I had to be

essentially with my ear to the monitor to pick up what might be the background noise to which you refer.

We will be looking forward to your results.

Best wishes

ATR