20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2015 4:20 AM by jasperthesiamese

MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12

jasperthesiamese Level 1

Hi ATR

I know there is only you that helps us Adobe users with problems!!

I have now got Photoshop 12 and premiere Elements 12 set up yey!! so now I want to start my editing

So I go into Premiere Elements Editor and choose my files which are on my hard drive

These are MTS files that have been taken with my Sony Cybershot DSCHX20V however when I try to play back the videos they are jerky so I am unable to edit them

Now I know I asked this question before when I had the trial of 13 and you got it working for me but I cant find the answer

There is no orange or green line so I am unable to render the videos

In the project settings it says display format as 25fps Timecode

Frame size 1920 hoizontal 1080 vertical

Hope you can help

Jilly

• 1. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

Sounds like progress. The bottom line may be to select the .MP4 choice and obtain the AVCHD.mp4 and not AVCHD.mts.

Details....

How did you set the camera - for AVCHD or .mp4. The AVCHD should be giving you AVCHD.mts and the .mp4 should be giving you AVCHD.mp4.

In our prior discussions, you were particularly interested in working in the Elements Organizer 13, and you, like others, were getting no audio for the AVCHD.mts when played back in the Elements Organizer 13 player. What is the situation of AVCHD.mts in the Elements Organizer 12? Are you getting video and audio playback for your AVCHD.mts. Is everything under control there?

To explore for AVCHD.mts

1. Forced Timeline Rendering

Right click your video on the Expert workspace Timeline, select Time Stretch, and set the Speed % of the Time Stretch dialog from 100 to 99%. Click OK.

Now, when you look at the Timeline content, there will be an orange line over that Timeline content. Do the Timeline rendering by pressing the Render button above the Timeline.

How does the Timeline video playback when the line is green?

2. AVCHD.mts versus AVCHD.mp4

Do some recording with the MP4 setting, import the AVCHD.mp4 into Premiere Elements and determine if the playback is smoother than the AVCHD.mts.

3. From an AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second) project, export to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and

tell us if the playback is smooth.

Then, from an AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080@ 25 progressive frames per second) project, export to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25.

Then compare the smoothness of the playback of each.

The purpose of 1 - to define the preview issues.

The purpose of 2 - to define which video format works best for you.

The purpose of 3 - to sort out preview versus file format issues.

Please review. Any questions or need clarification, please let me know and I will adapt my reply accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
            jasperthesiamese Level 1

Morning ATR

The camera was set for AVCHD and so the videos that were taken are in the format AVCHD mts. I since changed it to mp4 format but the videos that I want ti edit are in mts format and like I mentioned they are jerky

When I am in the organiser of Premier 12 and I can hear the playback so that is ok but its jerky as well as the editor. I've also noticed that playing back in the organizer, the playback is very pixelated?

1. Forced Timeline Rendering

i did exactly what you said ATR and changed the time stretch to 99% and that worked perfectly!! You're a genius!

2. AVCHD.mts versus AVCHD.mp4

I found an MP4 format video and added it to my timeline with the MTS files and that one play ok. The time stretch on that file is at 100% so do I have to keep changing this to 99% all the time or only when its choppy and jerky?

Step 3 you asked me to do the below

From an AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second) project, export to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and

Then, from an AVCHD.mp4 1920 x 1080@ 25 progressive frames per second) project, export to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25.

From looking at my project settings the timebase is showing 50.00 frames/second?

You have said from a AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second) project? Do I need to change this now?

Would you be able to tell me how to do a screenshot in windows 8 please? It would be so much easier but I am struggling to do it on the website itself

Thanks ATR

Jilly

• 3. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

Sounding better and better.

1. As I mentioned before, if the program is giving you non colored  line or a green line, no rendering to get the best possible preview is possible.

And, after each edit, you get the render opportunity. So, if we cannot "render" a Timeline line, then we force it render with an "edit". In this case,

the Time Stretch 99% is a convenient "edit". I came across that maneuver for some Canon video a while back and shared it with several Premiere

Elements users who reported back that it worked for them. So, glad that worked for you also. Use only when the video is choppy after a render or

if you cannot render and need to force a situation where you have to force the video to render.

I will post the forum screenshot information in a little while.

ATR

• 4. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                jasperthesiamese Level 1

Thanks ATR

So just to confirm that I need to do that for every video if its choppy whether its an MTS or MP4?

i also mentioned Step 3 in your last post where you asked me to do the below

From an AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second) project, export to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 and

From looking at my project settings the timebase is showing 50.00 frames/second?

You have said from a AVCHD.mts 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second) project? Do I need to change this now?

Would you be able to tell me how to do a screenshot in windows 8 please? It would be so much easier but I am struggling to do it on the website itself

Thanks ATR

• 5. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

I found the following link online regarding posting screenshots in the Adobe Forums

The specified item was not found.

Please see if it helps.

If you have the correct project preset for a video and are looking at a rendered Timeline video to get the best possible preview in the Edit area monitor and you are not,

then use my trick of forced render on whatever video will profit from its use. I would not apply it to all videos, only when necessary. It may not work for all formats.

But worth a try. Your video appears to have profit from this maneuver.

I have lost track of what frame rate you started with. If 50 progressive frames per second, make sure the project preset is for PAL AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50. When you go to export that 1080p50 Timeline then use MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 for Presets followed by customizing

that  preset from 1080p25 to 1080p50 by setting for that under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25 preset.

Please let me know if we are OK with the details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                    jasperthesiamese Level 1

Yey that works with regards to the screenshots thanks ATR

The project settings looks like the one below if this is correct?

w?Capture.PNG

I dont know how you would know?

Should it be automatic?

• 7. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

Great, great job on the screenshot. Very impressive. But, what it shows is a bit disturbing.

It is telling me from the Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio readings that someone (you manually or the project automatically)

has not set the correct project preset for 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second.  What you have there is the program's default project preset

for 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second which is not correct if you are using 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second. For your 1080p50,

under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you should be seeing

Jilly.JPG

And, if you are letting the project automatically set the project preset based on the properties of the first video drag to the Timeline, you have 1080p, and it is giving

your a 1080i project preset, that is when you need to set the project preset yourself (manually) before you import your 1080p50 into the project.

Are you OK with the details of manually setting the project preset? If not, I will go over the details of that using File Menu/New/Project.

ATR

• 8. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                        jasperthesiamese Level 1

Yes please

If you could let me know what I need to do to get it how it should be that would be great

• 9. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

When 1080p50 source video....

When you discover by checking Edit Menu/Project Settings/General that the project preset has not been set correctly to 1080p50 by the project automatically, then start a new project and set the project preset yourself manually. To do that....

1 Open Premiere Elements 13 to its Expert workspace. And,go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, set the project preset for

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

Then OK out of there.

3. You will next be facing the new project dialog where you make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then OK out of there.

4. Back in the Expert workspace, bring your 1080p50 into the project using Premiere Elements 13's Ad Media/Files and Folders/. Once it is in Project Assets, drag the video from there to the Timeline Video Track1/Audio Track 1.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above.

Thanks.

Progress sounding good.

ATR

• 10. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                            jasperthesiamese Level 1

Hi ATR

I have done this as described  above and then once completed I have come out of Premiere and gone back in

Project setting says the below

Is this how it should be?

Project settings.PNG

• 11. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                              jasperthesiamese Level 1

But the change settings menu looks like this?

Snipping tool 04.02.15.PNG

• 12. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

If you set the project preset manually to 1920 x 1080 @ 50 progressive frames per second, in Change Settings you should have selected

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD 1080p50

jilly50.JPG

If you did, then you would have gotten Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to look like the screenshot I posted in post 7 in this thread.

The screenshot that you posted in post 10 tells me that the project preset was set as the PAL default for the program

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD HD1080i25.

Please review the details and consider. Please let me know where we need more clarification.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                  jasperthesiamese Level 1

Hi ATR

I have changed the settings to show what yours looks like so now it is like the below?

Is this correct and if so do I need to do anything else or will it stay like that all the time?Change settings 04.02.15.PNG

• 14. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

If you open a saved closed project, the project preset will remain the same as before the save close for that named project.

But, if you go to open a new project, then you go through all the details of you (manually) or the project (automatically, if it can) setting the project preset

description to match the properties of your source media.

Please let me know if you are OK with that information.

ATR

• 15. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                      jasperthesiamese Level 1

Hi ATR

I understand the first part where you said that if its a saved project then the settings will remain the same however the second part where I may have to reset the settings for each project?

My question is how do I know what settings to have it on or to set it to?

Jilly

• 16. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

You wrote

You need to know the properties of your source file and match them up as close as possible with the description of one of the existing project presets.

In the match up, you look for

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Sometimes even audio type: Stereo or 5.1 Channel

The task is important but can get complicated especially if you are using two different formats in one project, and, in Premiere Elements, there is only one

project preset project. In that type of a situation, you pick the prime video to set for and then fit everything else into those settings.

But, never hesitate to ask for a second opinion for your choice.

ATR

• 17. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                          whsprague Level 4

Jilly

On my system with version 11, and now 13.1 the project settings have been reliably set when the first clip is slid to the time line.  The trick is to start with a primary MTS clip and then add other media. 

Bill

• 18. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Jilly

To keep our discussions in perspective and in context with your following question (post 15), I point out for all those who have been following your thread that we have been discussing manually versus automatically set project presets extensively throughout the course of this thread and your other threads.

And, after evaluating both, you are specifically asking about the criteria for the manually set project preset when and if needed when you ask

My reply to that question can be found in post 16.

If needed, supplemental information on manually versus automatically set project preset can be found....

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

ATR

• 19. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                              whsprague Level 4

A.T. Romano wrote:

Jilly

To keep our discussions in perspective and in context ...

I suggested an easy way ATR!  How is that not in perspective or in context when Jilly asked how to set the project?

Bill

• 20. Re: MTS files jerky when played back in the Editor of Premiere Elements 12
                                                jasperthesiamese Level 1

Thank you so much Bill

I really appreciate your help and I do like to keep it as simple as I can!!

Im not very technical

Jilly