10 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 8:53 AM by Teodor K

Mobile web application

ola25

Hi, im new to the dreamweaver community and new to dreamweaver in general but I am a little bit familiar with html5

I am trying to make a mobile premier league (football) application using html, I want to feed results, tables, fixtures and so on from other websites

into a mobile app. Would like and appreciate it if anyone could give me pointers and walkthroughs on how I can carry this out?

Thanks and again, very much appreciated

• 1. Re: Mobile web application
          bregent Most Valuable Participant

> I am a little bit familiar with html5

How much programming experience do you have? In order to do what you want you'll need to learn a lot. Just being able to get data from other sites requires that you are able to develop server side code, learn about the API's of those sites, know XML/JSON, Javascript, SQL, etc.

• 2. Re: Mobile web application
            ola25 Level 1

Yeah I am willing to learn as much as possible

• 3. Re: Mobile web application
              bregent Most Valuable Participant

For a small team of experienced developers it's probably not a difficult project.

Since you didn't provide details about your previous programming experience, can we assume you don't have any?  If so, you do understand that this will probably take several years if you are going to attempt this yourself?

Just thinking off the top of my head here.... You said you are a bit familiar with HMTL. You'll need to really get stronger there so I would suggest focusing on HTML and CSS until you are very comfortable. Next I would suggest learning Javascript. You'll then need to learn some form of server side scripting, as well as OOP to write programs on your server to handle the aggregation from the various sites.

What sites do you plan on getting your data from? Do that have public API's? Some may require a fee and licensing agreements.

• 4. Re: Mobile web application
                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Which specific devices are you building your mobile app for?

Nancy O.

• 5. Re: Mobile web application
                  ola25 Level 1

oh my apologies, ive had a 3 month course on htlm and css, done a bit of javascript too. I realise i would have to learn quite a few new stuff which im ready to do.

About the sites, initially i was thinking of somewhere like bbc, but i dont think the have any public apis although i have found a few websites that offer similar things( these are free)

• 6. Re: Mobile web application
                    ola25 Level 1

Hi nancy, im targeting android devices (for now anyways)

• 8. Re: Mobile web application
                      Web Magi Level 4

Dreamweaver seems to be moving away from mobile app development, or maybe I should say, it's not being embraced as much as I would like these days. I've done a tremendous amount of research and testing of various mobile design/development solutions. While many of them offer drag and drop UIs for quickly building, styling, and adding in business logic, I would not go into a business app project without a fair degree of proficiency in HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, JSON, and an MVC, MVP, or MVVM data-binding framework like Angular JS, Knockout, or Durandal. The newly introduced Aurelia looks promising.

One of the easiest app design/developments tools I've tested so far is the free Intel XDK. This should give you an idea how easy it is to incorporate a services data feed into your app: Using Services Datafeed in App Designer | Intel® Developer Zone. Below the video is a list of 16 training videos that should get you on your you way fast. XDK has its own device emulator, but hooking my HTC One Android phone up to XDK for additional testing and debugging was a breeze with Intel's App Preview - downloaded directly from Google Play.

The latest tool I've tested is AppGyver. It has three main components: Steroids, Supersonic, and Composer. It is insanely cool!

Another one is Smartface App Studio.

There are a dozen or more "Low-Code Development Platforms" as well. Just Google the term.

• 9. Re: Mobile web application
                        ola25 Level 1

Thank you all for the feedback, its kinda late where i am so I will definitely look into the suggestions and hopefully give good feedbacks

• 10. Re: Mobile web application
                          Teodor K Level 3

Hello all,

The DMXzone Cordova Builder has already been released.

DMXzone Cordova Builder allows you to define, generate and build mobile applications based on Apache Cordova (formerly known as PhoneGap), empower and replace the old deprecated Dreamweaver PhoneGap build. You can deploy your app build in regular HTML5 and CSS as a mobile app to all of the major mobile platforms like iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry 10, Amazon Fire OS and Firefox OS.

More - using DMXzone Database tools, which are ajax/json based, you can build complex database driven apps, fully visual in DW. Check the tutorials on the product page: http://www.dmxzone.com/go/23131/dmxzone-cordova-builder/#videos

Best Regads,

Teodor Kuduschiev

DMXzone.com