4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2015 5:21 PM by caperture

Help!Lightproof 5.0 and 5.7 both restarts my computer

caperture

They've occurred randomly at software start up, import, filmstrip selection to edit, and edit.

I am at a loss with this issue.  Please help!

• 1. Re: Help!Lightproof 5.0 and 5.7 both restarts my computer
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. Probably a RAM/Memory problem.

Going to need more info.

What make computer and how old is it.

What exact operating system.

How much RAM is installed.

What other programs are running at the same time this happens

• 2. Re: Help!Lightproof 5.0 and 5.7 both restarts my computer
            caperture Level 1

This is a new computer build and I freelance as a photographer/animator.  Having said that Lightroom 5 was one of the first software I installed and had a job to do, so nothing else is running besides the OS.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard:

Gigabyte Black Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboards GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK

CPU:

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)

GPU:

VGA EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GTX560 TI R

PSU:

Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 744 Power Supply CX750M

RAM:

G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsX Series for Sandy Bridge (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit Desktop Memory Module

Main HD:

Intel 730 SERIES 2.5-Inch 240 GB Internal Solid State Drive SSDSC2BP240G4R5

Windows 7 Professional

Here is a couple event logs that I recorded during one of the last attempts:

Critical 1/22/2015 10:50:38 PM:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System

Source: Kernnel-Power

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (2)

User: SYSTEM

Error 1/22/2015 10:50:46 PM:

The previous system shutdown at 10:49:15 PM on 1/22/2015 was unexpected.

Log Name: System

Source: EventLog

Event ID: 6008

Task Category: None

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Does this help or make sense? I can provide more if needed.     

• 3. Re: Help!Lightproof 5.0 and 5.7 both restarts my computer
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

When you say a New Build when did you fire it up for the first time?

Have you run a Memory tester on it like Memtest86?

Are you Over Clocking the CPU and if so to what level? Slow it down and test.

Sure sound like a memory problem or if you are overclocking the CPU you don't have enough cooling or you need to slow it down some.

I was running a 3 year old 2.8Ghz i5 overclocked to 3.8 and the system ran fine for those 3 years. I was trying some new things in Photoshop CC and every time I click on one option the system would crash, system never crashed before in those 3 year. I slowed the CPU down to 3.6 and didn't get any more crashes.

So your problem is Hardware and not Lightroom.

CPU overclocked to much and or not enough cooling.

RAM bad/defective or if it is overclocked with the CPU overclocking it just can take it on memory intensive operations.

Faulty power supply. PSU can't deliver the proper voltages when call on when doing CPU and memory intensive operations.

• 4. Re: Help!Lightproof 5.0 and 5.7 both restarts my computer
                caperture Level 1

I fired it up for the first time 4 weeks ago. 

I do not overclock anything since it's not really something I know how to do properly, everything is at their default settings.

wouldn't faulty RAM generate a BSOD before crashing?

I just went to best buy and bought a brand new PSU and GPU, both of which still did not alleviate my problem.  I tested these one by one.

I've done benchmark tests that supposedly should crash whatever is running poorly but nothing happened.

What I'm going to do next:

- return my best buy items

- run a memory tester like Memtest86

In the meantime:

- Please let me know if you have any other suggestions

- I am currently plugged into my mobo for a single display, so far that is the only way lightroom hasn't crashed on me.  This is only acceptable as a temporary solution, but is there any insight from this new information?