6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 4:56 PM by amsphotog

Capture One to Lightroom transition process

amsphotog

I have many images that I have processed in Capture One. Now I want to transition to Lightroom and import them into LR. Will I still retain the edits I have made to the RAW files in Capture One once that program is uninstalled from the computer?  I am using Windows 7 as the OS.

Alice S

• 1. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No you won't. The edits you have done in C1 only show up in C1. The only way to have them come over to LR is if you exported them as TIF files or opened them in PS and saved them as TIF or PSD.

No Adobe software can read what some other raw processor has done to a raw file. That is also true going the other way. If you had started out with LR/ACR then started using C1 the edits you did in LR/ACR wouldn't carry over to C1.

• 2. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
            amsphotog Level 1

No offense meant, but I'm not sure you are correct. I thought I had some raw image edits from C1 showing up in Ltrm, or vice versa. But I think your advice is good to be sure to have .tiff or .psd output of edited Raw files. I am doing that, either locating or re-producing the output files.

Could I please get a response to the original question from someone in Adobe tech support?

Thanks, 

Alice

Sent from my Samsung phone

• 3. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
              RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

This is a user to user forum. Lightroom Tech Support uses this forum: Recently active topics in Photoshop Family about Photoshop Lightroom

• 4. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
                Keith_Reeder Level 4

amsphotog wrote:

No offense meant, but I'm not sure you are correct.

Alice, you're asking about Lightroom having the ability to "see", in Raw files that youi've previously converted in Capture One, the adjustments you've made in Capture One, and Shootistbond is unequivocally, 100% correct.

It doesn't need Tech support to answer - they'll know nothing about Capture One anyway - but I've used both Lightroom and Capture One for years, and I can assure you that Capture One's treatment of a Raw file is absolutely invisible to Lightroom.

• 5. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
                  Steveatesh Level 1

i trialled Capture 1 Pro 8 and loved it but went with Lightroom for a variety of reasons.

ARetry installing gym licensed version of LR5 none of the adjustments or edits I had made in C1 Pro were visible or available in LR. I had to start afresh.

hope that helps.

• 6. Re: Capture One to Lightroom transition process
                    amsphotog Level 1

Keith,

Thank you for the added information. I may have misinterpreted what I saw; I was working late at night and was very tired. That apparent recognition  of C1 Raw edits in Ltrm has not happened again.

So I will continue to pull out the Tiff and JPG Output files I’ve made in C1 over the last year, putting them all in one folder, with subject subfolders, for backup to an external hard drive just in case.

This is taking some time due to my poor filing system (also to be  fixed) and the way some Output files are “buried” within layers of other folders within the Capture One folder.

Once this is complete, I intend  to uninstall C1, as having two Raw editing programs is unnecessarily complicated for me,  and I find Lightroom easier to understand.

What happens to the RAW files that were processed in C1 when it is uninstalled? Are they still there to be used by Ltrm? There are likely some good images in these batches that I haven’t gotten around to processing yet.